Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

The club won’t be shy in telling us the contract offer. They just won’t talk money

Not to do with contract length? If we offered him 2 years to begin with then I have no doubt he would’ve stayed.

Like with Brown they'll tell us the start and end offers but won't tell us about the shitstorm in between

We upped our offer and he still decided to go.

Can only suggest he was offended by the one year, which considering his age and recent injury - don't think he's justified in being aggrieved.

Get the feeling the Brown and Tarrant situations are still residual effects of the club re-signing senior players on chunky contracts with no performance attached to it during the 2010-19 era , and any time the club hasn't caved, we've seen the players leave in sour circumstances.
Your offered 1 year take it or leave it, it turns sour when they leave it.
Grovelling with a new contract after the leg works done and your given an offer from elsewhere shows you should have handled it differently.
Good chance JZ is also shopping around.
At the end of the day this is a job, we all look for better offers in life.
Go well Taz, you'll be missed

Would have preferred he stayed, but I think he's cooked anyway.
Obviously this year was a wash with his heath issue.
However, as great as he's been I felt he was starting to show genuine signs of decline last year.
Should have been AA for us... Was huge down back for a few seasons
Felt he had lost some of his bounce this year. Not quite as sharp, not quite as agressive, a little less spring in his step, a little more running on his heels.

I still would have liked him to stick around to help Buckets and the new KPD we draft so that feels a little s**t tbh.

Grovelling with a new contract after the leg works done and your given an offer from elsewhere shows you should have handled it differently.

You think our captain would be shopping himself? I’d be disgusted if he did.

You think our captain would be shopping himself? I’d be disgusted if he did.

I hate to say it with Jack but I can’t see him moving interstate and I can’t see him improving any other Vic side to a degree they’d put two years to him. Would be stunned if he didn’t take the one year deal.

I hate to say it with Jack but I can’t see him moving interstate and I can’t see him improving any other Vic side to a degree they’d put two years to him. Would be stunned if he didn’t take the one year deal.

So you’re talking bout the Delusional saints then and they do love their Jacks 😜

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you saying we should have handled it differently or Taz should have?

Theres an argument for him being the fifth best

top four in no particular order -dench, glendinning, Martyn, Thompson

then you’d have to be looking at ross smith, fairley, Tarrant
Not sure how far you go back but Tarrant ain't fifth best in that company. Behind Dench and Glendinning granted. No one is a bigger fan of Mick Martyn than me, he was the second most important player behind Carey in Pagan's teams, but Taz is the equal of him. People underestimate how much easier it is to perform in a top notch team - Taz never had that opportunity. Taz has Thompson covered. Grossly underrated Taz. Only one of three players in the last 20 years that would have walked into Pagan's team. Should have got at least 3 AA's.

It’s probably just as simple as he wanted 2 years we offered 1, his management got offered 2 by Richmond and he agreed then we offered 2 but he’d already said yes to Richmond’s offer and stuck to his word.
Yep, and he wanted to go and play at Richmond with guys of similar integrity.

Cough cough Dusty cough cough.

Yeah, agreed. Gold Coast is the only club I could see offering him two for his leadership but I doubt he'd move interstate.

I know we all love Jack, but we just can't offer him two years. We are stacked for medium defenders and need to give them an opportunity. As it is, it's gonna be tough to fit Corr, Ziebell, Bonar, McDonald in the same side and we need to give opportunities to Atu, Perez, even Young, and Hayden if he stays to see if they're part of our future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back