Welcome Michael Voss - The Real Boss!

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss very nearly made finals in 2013 his last year as coach. Was robbed by the Cats in the final round to lose by a point only for Carlton to steal the spot by beating Port in a massive come from behind upset to jump Lions, North and Adelaide who were all on 10 wins. Was then sacked
Did not know this

Because he has one? And the team he has one with is playing a grand final this weekend?

Confirmed troll btw by putting Ayres in with those former coaches lol.
So, assistant coaches move on for senior roles all the time.
Even if theyre part of a premiership coaching team

Did not know this

You probably also didn't know that

Buckley is taking 2022 off with a well paid media gig
Ayres is an ass and has walked out on clubs repeatedly. Culture is a foreign language to him.
Choco loves it at Melb and relishes the senior assistant gig
Pyke also loving the Sydney lifestyle and the senior assistant gig and doesn't want to move his family interstate again so soon.

So, assistant coaches move on for senior roles all the time.
Even if theyre part of a premiership coaching team

He's 63 and hasn't coached for 11 years. Gets paid handsomely for a gig that comes with 90% less stress than senior coach and gets to work on his strength, relationships.

Why would they appoint a previously failed senior coach?

And why would all of you applaud it?
And to think they got rid of Teague who had a decent win loss record in his first two years for him.

Seems like no one ever learns at this club.:'(

The reality is, pretty much all coaches have strengths and weaknesses. The beauty of appointing someone in Michael Voss's position is that we already know what they are and the club can put the right framework in place to give him the best chance of succeeding.

With an untried coach it sometimes take a few years for everyone to work out exactly what those strengths and weaknesses are (refer Voss's first coaching stint at Brisbane) and by the time you figure it out, it's too late.

In addition to that he has now worked in a different environment (different club) and reportedly worked tirelessly on his coaching craft during his time at Port.

Lastly, the game has changed significantly from 2009 - 2013. Coaches are much more like managers than they were even then and the manager role is what Voss is most suited to.

Please get him the best support structure the AFL has ever seen.

It's high time our head coaches are well looked after.

We better. We can afford it now. We didn't sell the house for a Ross or Clarko.

No one said give up on him.
But why appoint him for the same role he failed in?
He's got 8 years' more experience under his belt. He knows how it feels to fail and he doesn't like it. He has a hunger for success that few others would have at this point. He's a good Carlton man. He impressed the panel more than the other prospects did.

Welcome Vossy, everyone has been crying out for some steel and here it comes. Wasn't keen on Lyon as I like to see a team try to win, not try to lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best of luck to Vossy and your club. Really talented list and I hope Voss finds success.

Have to remember he made finals as a rookie coach and mainly got sacked because our incompetent board at the time thought they could get Paul Roos. Sure his trades in 2010 didn't work out (Mainly Fev) but at least he showed ambition to win by trying something.

Best of luck to the Blues & Vossy.

It feels like new standards have veen set at our club today.
There was a lot of aura in this press conference.
It was a footy press conference finally, not a sales one!

MLG, Liddle and the predecessors did a lot for the club financially and setting that up just let the core business in football come second.

I think we'll remember MLG's tenor as a turning point in getting us up to speed on the business finance side of things, but this new group will be the new turning point in getting back to football.

Best coaching appointment we've made in decades...
Could not be happier and excited to see Cookie and Vossy leading our club now.
Feel very excited for the players to basically be returning after their break to totally new coaching staff and drive to be a power again as a club.
Been a long long time coming.

So happy for Vossy to be coaching the club he grew up barracking for as a kid. Exciting chapter in his life and think the timing of all this could not be better for him and us as a club.

As a Lions supporter I'm so happy he finally landed another senior coaching gig (and not at Collingwood or Port either), hope he goes well except against us.

welcome aboard Vossy, although I hope you aren't a Bigfooty reader as the number of poor to average posts on here really does leave me questioning the intelligence of many posters.

I'm going to start by saying I am underwhelmed by Voss as our coach and have said it in many posts here of late. But, now that he's been appointed I will support him as much as I've supported all of our coaches, I have never called for a coach to be sacked and will not start in the next few years.

I have my own reasons for not wanting him and not going to go back over them, that's past history and time for me to let go and, as I said, support him to the hilt.

But for you to question the intelligence of posters who voice their concerns is laughable.

There are very few on here that envisaged Voss getting this job and even fewer who said they wanted him.

What about the intelligence of those that think that he will be successful purely because he followed us as a kid or because he was a great footballer with a bit of mongrel?

He probably is not who I thought we'd get or who I thought would be right, but if we've followed a legit process and he's the best candidate - that's great. I hope he does really well!

Surround him with other good thinkers, innovators and professionals. He's always had the ferocious competitiveness, which is a good start. I feel like the odd icy stare from Vossy should be able to straighten out some of our more casual, half-assed effort-givers!

Sayers certainly is a good speaker. Voss has also spoken well too, it's going to be exciting to see what changes these new people can bring. I think they have probably got this selection right, we have all seen how someone can be a really successful coach at one club and a failure at another, it comes down to the club and who that is made up of an I just hope we are made of the right stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back