Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Take it easy dude. He will within the next 3 years probably. The Ashes are happening and even though we probably won't be touring Pakistan next year, we will be playing that test series in the UAE.

Yeah with the financial gain the ashes will provide you'd think some sort of agreement will ultimately be reached.

Wish we could tour actual Pakistan, been so long.

Yes, it has been a huge shame. I started watching Cricket during the 1998/1999 Ashes so I have never seen us tour there.

I remember a couple of series as I must be older than you. Healy missed a vital stumping that cost us winning a series in the 90s. Also remember the series Taylor made the 334*.

I remember a couple of series as I must be older than you. Healy missed a vital stumping that cost us winning a series in the 90s. Also remember the series Taylor made the 334*.
If a Pakistan keeper missed that stumping we'd still be talking about how the game was fixed.

Yep, believe that was 1994. Fleming also took a hat-trick during that series.

Yeah it was when I was really young. First series I can recall was when West Indies toured Aus in 92/93 and we lost by a small margin, was only 6 or so at the time. Was shattered we lost but feel in Love with Lara after his 277 in Sydney.

No they want more money from it they would be concerned with the drop in crowds and tv numbers since the moved to 7 and the longer format

Yep and they'll be telling themselves, if only we could get Cummins and Smith and Warner playing regularly in the BBL, it'll be a hit.

Lol people don’t care that much about the bash. It drags on for too long so you can’t get top imports
How many top players do casuals actually know? Dale Steyn and ABDV playing didn't really see any increase in crowds or TV ratings. The Big Bash you just turn on to see one colour playing against another colour.

In more important news, Shaun Marsh has donned up on the opening day of the Shield season. Get him in!

Joking, but at least Cameron Green also made a century.

How many top players do casuals actually know? Dale Steyn and ABDV playing didn't really see any increase in crowds or TV ratings. The Big Bash you just turn on to see one colour playing against another colour.

I agree. It's a crap product for glorified club cricketers but CA will be like the ECB trying to screw as much money out of the summer, making sure there is cricket on as much as possible. Both England and Australia boards don't have the luxury of the riches of the IPL. They are constantly on the look out for new audiences and new money which means they'd rather test cricket just go away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep and they'll be telling themselves, if only we could get Cummins and Smith and Warner playing regularly in the BBL, it'll be a hit.
That's what they should be telling themselves, but Ch7 say the only way to maximise ratings is to have BBL matches following the day's play of Test cricket, and CA are listening.

Nevertheless it's Tests and ODIs (in that order) vs England and India (in that order) that CA rely on the most, not the BBL. We know this because they lose $45.9m when it's a summer of, say, New Zealand and Pakistan touring instead.

Thoughts on 17 man squad?

Keeper - Carey, Paine
Spinners - Lyon, Swepson
All rounder - Green
Bowlers - Cummins, Hazlewood, Starc, Pattinson, Richardson, Neser
Batsmen - Smith, Warner, Head, Pucovski, Labuschagne, Khawaja

Best XI

Warner, Pucovski, Labuschagne, Smith, Head, Green, Carey, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Hazlewood

Keeper - Carey, Paine
Spinners - Lyon, Swepson
All rounder - Green

Best XI

Warner, Pucovski, Labuschagne, Smith, Head, Green, Carey, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Hazlewood
That's likely but ewwww, Head. I'd bring back Shaun Marsh ahead of Head. Would not play Starc in tests either.

Keeper - Carey, Paine
Spinners - Lyon, Swepson
All rounder - Green

Best XI

Starc should be playing club cricket

Test XI

Warner
Pucovski
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Paine (C)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Pretty much picks itself. Last series for Paine - then Inglis? Starc is a question mark, but we probably need the variety.

Test XI

Warner
Pucovski
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Paine (C)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Pretty much picks itself. Last series for Paine - then Inglis? Starc is a question mark, but we probably need the variety.
Starc's been picked for variety for a while now. Hasn't worked.

Shaun Marsh averages 34. And is 38 years old.
Pretty silly comment.
* you for forcing me to defend Shaun Marsh.

Marsh has had 68 innings; from those 68 innings, he's bat at 5 22 times at an average of 42.55; it's better than the majority of options in that position, and there is no reason to believe it wouldn't be better if he had been allowed to settle into the team at 5, rather than trying him 43 times opening or at 3-4. He's too old now, but to no small extent he's been ****ed around by a CA who have wanted an all rounder at 6 and gave him nothing resembling consistency or his optimum batting position.

It's a testament to how s**t the shield and Australian batting development that he's still there, hasn't retired or transitioned to coaching or something else yet.

fu** you for forcing me to defend Shaun Marsh.

Marsh has had 68 innings; from those 68 innings, he's bat at 5 22 times at an average of 42.55; it's better than the majority of options in that position, and there is no reason to believe it wouldn't be better if he had been allowed to settle into the team at 5, rather than trying him 43 times opening or at 3-4. He's too old now, but to no small extent he's been f’ed around by a CA who have wanted an all rounder at 6 and gave him nothing resembling consistency or his optimum batting position.

It's a testament to how sh*t the shield and Australian batting development that he's still there, hasn't retired or transitioned to coaching or something else yet.
Averages 34. Head averages 39.7.
Argument over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back