Mega Thread 2021 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The same discussion happens with every man child that gets drafted.

Ollie Wines was an early developer and there was plenty of doubt about his potential ceiling from within the industry, but here we are halfway through his career and he's just won a record breaking Brownlow Medal.

Horne-Francis is playing good footy but he's not exactly dominating at SANFL level. What holds him in good stead is that unlike a lot of man-children, he's got some decent burst speed and exquisite outside skills, he's not just a well built kid winning inside ball and not much else.
Not exactly man child height/ weight.

He's been mentioned a few times in the past but Dyson Hilder would be worth a late/rookie pick.

He's tall and mobile, can play forward and back and only turns 21 next year.

Interesting that WA's Kade Dittmar is being touted by some as a second rounder now.
Playing Centre for WA today - will be interested to see how he goes.

Sounds like a strong inside mid, clean hands, kicks the odd goal resting up forward from reports.
Seems like there are questions regarding his leg speed though. :(
Distant relation to the Dittmars of Port from the 1950's.

Wondering whether a tall, someone like Van Rouyen for example, may slide on down the order on Draft night or not, and be a chance for the club to grab?

And also, does anyone think that Port may target an outside mid with upside, such as NW-M, if any "burst" type inside mids don't materialise for us and get taken early?

I’m gunna take a stab in the dark and say Horne-Francis was a port supporter growing up..

Hopefully we can get him to port in 3-4 years.

3 goals 3 behinds is impressive in an SANFL final but the 20 kicks from 24 disposals is exciting as well.

Horne Francis is a special talent. His awareness, composure and 360 degree view of the game is outstanding. On top of that he has all the athletic tools, he's strong and a perfect build for footy and has some jets when he needs them.

He could have kicked 6 goals last night. Two posters and caught playing on after he had out-positioned an opponent for the mark in a one on one 20m out, and he dribbled the kick through for a point.

Any idea who is likely to go first pick?

edit: ok Daicos father son. Then Horne-Francis seems a favourite for next pick by North.

Shame because I think pick 2 off GWS is gettable.

Last edited:
AFL Grand Final day has arrived — but after Jason Horne-Francis’ stunning SANFL finals performance, North Melbourne fans are now counting down the days to the national draft.

In an already-eye-catching season, the gun AFL draft prospect on Friday night produced arguably his most spectacular performance of his year yet, starring for South Adelaide in a SANFL league preliminary final against Glenelg.

In a losing cause, Horne-Francis kicked three of his side’s six goals from 24 disposals, 18 contested possessions, 11 clearances (3 centre clearances), 10 score involvements and 160 Champion Data ranking points. He could’ve added more goals too, hitting the post on two occasions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked the look of van Rooyen last game is our first to much of a reach?

Would it be worth trying to split pick 16 for a couple of picks?

Or would one of them be too late and swallowed up by a Burgoyne bid?

I’d rather trade it out for a ready made player who can have an impact immediately.

We would all like that but this is the draft thread, not the trade thread. 😉

Tall forward Lemmey (from Westies) is apparently getting people on the main board excited.
Eligible for draft in 2022.

Hes around 198cm tall, has lightning speed, and very good hands.

I rate him highly. Will be interesting to watch him next season, will play league for westies I would think.

But there’s a bunch of good talls next year ..

Would it be worth trying to split pick 16 for a couple of picks?

Or would one of them be too late and swallowed up by a Burgoyne bid?
I'd be open to splitting it on the night and seeing who is available. If there's a slider we really fancy, then nab him, if not, trade.

I'd love to get one of Sonsie, Goater, Roberts for example if any were there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back