Australia v India (women's: 3 ODIs, 1 Test, 3 T20Is)

Which teenager are you expecting to be the most sensational?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Grand Final Eve classic. Hopefully the right tactical lessons are learnt from this close shave. Five years ago at Coffs Harbour we luckily tied an ODI against South Africa and took precisely the wrong thing away from it (got fooled into thinking Elyse Villani could pass as a credible longterm 6th bowling option). Proved to be disastrous and resulted in a semi-final loss at the World Cup six or so months later.

Tahlia McGrath once again standing up and delivering when the team needs a big effort from her, something she's already done a few times in green and gold now despite limited opportunities. If today she looked like a person who has spent 10 years playing WNCL since age 15, putting in the hard yards while not getting carried with the highs but always bouncing back from the lows... well, it's because she is that person.

100 Most Valuable Players in Women's Cricket - I promise to not keep referring back to this post whenever I'm proud of myself (because it's not like I'll mention it when things go pear shaped), but just for tonight it seemed too perfect given the two top-scorers of the game, plus the point made about Mooney as an opener:
2 Smriti Mandhana (IND) Reserving the pointy end of this list for three willow-whackers is something I’d object to if we were talking about men’s cricket. Alas, limited overs rules the girls’ game and therefore so do the top-order players.

1 Beth Mooney (AUS) Though I’ve dedicated significant portions of my list to those who are likely to be the dominant players a decade from now, let it be known that the present is no less important. Plus, it’s a lot easier to predict the next 12 months than crystal balling the next 12 years. Thus, if I have to throw my money on any one player to have an impact in any given game, why not make it the world’s best run-compiler of the last little while. The fact that Mooney hasn’t done much in ODI cricket since the start of the 2019/20 season could be used against her, but she should clearly be opening the batting for Australia and I’m not going to penalise her for being undervalued by others.

The difference was that LBW that went unpaid, and the fact that Australia never thought they were gone.
In a way it helped India though, because Carey is the second worst player in that XI to have at the crease when 13 off an over is needed.
Did India use all there reviews? (the LBW) or are the rules different?
Very lucky just to be able to have run out and no ball reviews for women's cricket. England has recently added DRS for their home matches, hopefully Australia isn't too far away from following suit.

Mooney hates the limelight but she is undoubtedly out best batter in the country right now, I'd let her bat for my life. Haynes well and truly deserves to go out on her own terms in that opening spot but wow Beth opening full time in that ODI side with someone like Redmayne to slot in to the middle might take this side to an even higher level. Redmayne averages 54 in List A cricket and is still yet to debut. I can't even put in to words how good Mooney's innings was. Calm, composed, trusted Mcgrath and Carey to play their own games around her and pounced when she was needed, she just never ever looks flustered. ******* sensational. One of the best ODI innings from a man or woman I've witnessed.

Last edited:
Nicole Bolton is playing for the Sixers in this seasons WBBL.

As for the test team, McGrath may have played her way in the test team, she was very good yesterday. Our top 6 in the last test was (IIRC) Healy, Mooney, Lanning, Perry, Haynes and Gardner I don't think that will change, even though I don't think Gardner is suited to tests, she showed once again last night that she struggles when having to be patient and build an innings. McGrath or Carey are probably battling for number 7, with Wareham and JJ the spinners and Schutt and Darcie Brown as the pace bowlers.

Well we know Schutt and Jonassen aren't available, no ifs there. Regardless, you can consider both Gardner and Molineux perennial walk-up starts for the Test team, especially the latter after the way they rushed her back from injury in 2019 and killed it on debut.

Bolton? They rolled the dice on her for that same Test when she was clearly cooked mentally, went as expected and practically guaranteed she'll never get another crack. Instead it should have been Wareham picked for that match--not to be, and now she's in doubt this time around too after yesterday's injury.

Strano would be in with a shot if Wareham isn't fit, with the likelihood of them wanting to stick with the 3 spinners formula seeming fairly plausible.

Last test we played Healy and Bolton opened in the 1st innings and the Healy and Haynes opened on the 2nd, can't remember what happened to Bolton but she didn't bat in the 2nd innings. Mooney batted 6th in the first innings and then 5th in the 2nd.

I'm still fuming India lost the other night. It would have set the series up well.

Luckily (for me) the AFL grand final eclipsed the win in the media and I get to escape reliving some of the trauma of growing up against an Australian men's team that always beat the teams I cared about.

India really should have hung on there. 26 in a row is it? Hopefully it ends today hahaha sorry.

Back