Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Just constant jabs about being thrown onto the scrap heap by the “wooden spooners”.

Reiterate the term “Wooden spooners” which was constantly mentioned.
She’s a commentator on TV. It’s an angle to make things dramatic and interesting to viewers.
And... it’s true - we are the wooden spooners and we moved him on. And he just won a flag. That’s a good footy story.

WowWeee

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
BBB has been one of my favourite since his debut season. Genuinely happy he’s now a premiership player.
I hope he starts getting the credits he deserves, massively underrated by most fan base.

That's a great picture, and I'm super happy for them both. Two of my all time favourite North players. Of course it would be better if they were in North jumpers for a flag with us, but they are human beings, and not in servitude to what makes us happy, ultimately. Some of the stuff that was written in this thread around Browny's departure was pretty hateful, so I'm glad to see so many posters on here wishing him well on winning a flag. Did Maj play? I didn't watch the game. It's always so hard for me to see my fave players in another team's jumper.

Anyways, big congrats to them both. I miss them, and I still love them, no matter where they go. It's good to see their joy in that picture.:) :yellowheart: :yellowheart:

Last edited:

Go_Roos!

Club Legend
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Congratulations Ben Brown - premiership player!

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah good on him , still useless in a contested mark situation but does read the play well. Needs separation and is dangerous when he gets that .
Happy for him as I’m happy for the Dees , whoever said finishing down the bottom doesn’t pay ?
Well done Melb , good on ya’s.

He led the contested marks for both prelim and grand final. His contested marking is back. Absolutely rapt for the bloke.

He led the contested marks for both prelim and grand final. His contested marking is back. Absolutely rapt for the bloke.
That 2v1 mark against Keath and wood was amazing

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Let me be clear I’m as happy for him as you are . I wish no one any ill will . Do I rate him ? Nope. Did any club ? Was there a bidding war for services ? Nope.
He plays like a flanker and that’s ok .
What I did notice was the Bullies could have used Daw.

Brown did ok in a side that won by the length of the Flemington straight .
The Dees would have won without him, and I will reiterate Comben had more ability in his fragile little toe than Brown has . Geez if Comben stays fit and you rate Brown , your head may just fall off with Charlie’s ability .

He took two contested marks last night, both were one out , not pack situations everyone single north fan who is honest and watched last night would have seen him flapping around in congestion.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Let me be clear I’m as happy for him as you are . I wish no one any ill will . Do I rate him ? Nope. Did any club ? Was there a bidding war for services ? Nope.
He plays like a flanker and that’s ok .
What I did notice was the Bullies could have used Daw.

Brown did ok in a side that won by the length of the Flemington straight .
The Dees would have won without him, and I will reiterate Comben had more ability in his fragile little toe than Brown has . Geez if Comben stays fit and you rate Brown , your head may just fall off with Charlie’s ability .

He took two contested marks last night, both were one out , not pack situations everyone single north fan who is honest and watched last night would have seen him flapping around in congestion.

Hard disagree. I've watched virtually all of Melbourne's games this year and over the past month or so Brown has rediscovered his ability to take a contested mark, including in packs.

There is absolutely no need to s**t on the bloke like you're doing right now - he was struggling this year but has found some really good form over the past month or two, right when it's counted.

He's gone and I wish him well, and I hope that what we got from the trade outstrips his output and I suspect it will.

I'm just not going to agree that he's been useless in contested marking scenarios lately. Earlier in the year and towards his end time with North, I would agree. Now? Nope.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hard disagree. I've watched virtually all of Melbourne's games this year and over the past month or so Brown has rediscovered his ability to take a contested mark, including in packs.

There is absolutely no need to sh*t on the bloke like you're doing right now - he was struggling this year but has found some really good form over the past month or two, right when it's counted.

He's gone and I wish him well, and I hope that what we got from the trade outstrips his output and I suspect it will.

I'm just not going to agree that he's been useless in contested marking scenarios lately. Earlier

There is absolutely no need to sh*t on the bloke like you're doing right now - he was struggling this year but has found some really good form over the past month or two, right when it's counted.

I'm just not going to agree that he's been useless in contested marking scenarios lately. Earlier in the year and towards his end time with North, I would agree. Now? Nope.

Seriously just because you are blowing smoke up Browns arse doesn’t mean I’m shitting in him . Strange comment tbh TMB.
Stats don’t lie. I wasn’t one of the dills suggesting we get two first rounders for him , nor was I upset he left .

BigFatNorthFan

Senior List
Oct 9, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Welcome back. Can't wait to read The Roar's 50k words on this.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not my thing anymore. Plenty of s**t tweets last night though, haha.

And FWIW I've been posting semi-regularly, around the grounds... just thought I'd spare you all the ordeal of me dropping in weekly to point out the lad was doing pretty alright ;)

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just constant jabs about being thrown onto the scrap heap by the “wooden spooners”.

Reiterate the term “Wooden spooners” which was constantly mentioned.
I get that we can be precious about it because it is our club but that's just good journalism from Daisy, who was once again magnificent throughout the coverage yesterday.

When it comes to Brown, that is the story and they're right to emphasise it. They're not jabs, just the truth and the most interesting angle to pursue the Brown story in the grand final context. There's nothing biased about it.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Everyone getting upset about the cheap shots thrown our way, firstly you don't post enough controversial thoughts. Second the jokes on the Dees their first draft pick will be at best #20 LOLZ- I think the "z" adds more punch- yes?

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s a shame both those guys aren't still wearing our colours well done to the both of them.
Maybe after there AFL careers we can get them back involved at the club.
I could see Majak involved in a major role at the Huddle And BBB coaching the AWFL or VWFL side I recon he would have a lot to offer.
Look at it is this way would be a good piece offering to get these players back as a club we need to fix the problems of the past mistakes and hopefully no more BSBScott ,Joyce’s and other types that took this club on a downward spiral to the 18th worst team in the AFL involved at our club.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He seemed to finally get a good run with the umpires paying frees for having his arms chopped. Should have been happening for years. I’m happy for the big fella.
When you play at a High performing club you tend to get looked after more by the umpires just ask 💩hitfield Selwood and Hawkins been getting away with it for years.
Mind I believe if the umpires had looked after him while at North I think we have been more successful as over a 3 year period when he kicked 60+ goals I believe he was cheated out of an extra 100+over that period.
That could have giving us extra wins maybe pushed us into the finals or more.

Snojet

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ben Brown received more free kicks (4) than any other player on the ground.
It makes me shake my head when I reflect back on all those times he was raped, pillaged and plundered while playing for us.
Glad he was finally rewarded even if it was a season or two too late

Bertie22

Team Captain
Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ben Brown received more free kicks (4) than any other player on the ground.
It makes me shake my head when I reflect back on all those times he was raped, pillaged and plundered while playing for us.
Glad he was finally rewarded even if it was a season or two too late
I think it has a lot to do with the jumper you are wearing.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Good luck to Benny, he's now lived every players dream. I have no ill will towards him.

Doesn't change the fact though that we made the right call to move him on. He wanted 800K, the market agreed with us that he was worth nowhere near that much, he lands at Melbourne for 500K+.

Sometimes I forget if some follow the club or the player.
Brown delivered some amazing moments for us with the elimination final and his 10 goals against Port being major highlights. Those memories are locked and treasured.
But he wears a different jumper now, his allegiance has changed and he is a premiership player for Melbourne ffs
Move the * on.

Are we that weak minded that we have to live out experiences of success through a rival team for players we once loved? The bloke jagged a flag but it means absolutely * all to North. In 20 years time no one is going to look back on us and think s**t.

What happened last year was a culmination of events which saw Brown leave. I can’t see how the club is at fault for any of it. We put a very lucrative deal on the table in Feb/March and it was knocked back and then we rightfully took it off the table later on. Considering the events that unfolded it was in the clubs best interest to move him on. No doubt about that at all.
He is still sour on that, that’s fine he’s allowed to be. But let’s stop acting like we owe him anything. The entire footy world has ripped into us the past week and I don’t see Brown speaking up or saying s**t. And from his perspective why would he. Whether we are right to cop it or not is up for debate, but like hell should we shut up bend over and receive it endlessly.

I trust Brady. I trust the club. Brown no longer represents us. And if you feel any sort of empathy toward his situation then don’t. He just won a flag. You only have to see the way his partner responded to us getting laid into for trading him to understand we mean * all to him. It’s a very snide crack and it shows the animosity towards us is still there. Let them gloat. Im happy with Sleevo and we move the * on

^ All fair points - especially in relation to his exit from the club being the right thing from the club's viewpoint - but I liked BB and was happy for his success.

I liked him too until he turned down the biggest offer anyone put in front of him.

It sometimes gets lost that he said no to us first and wanted to use us as leverage.

Back