AFL Grand Final 2021 Grand Final - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Who you want to win the flag?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the funniest things I heard during last week.

Brereton said ‘if I were selecting a team from scratch , out of all the AFL players, the FIRST player I would choose would be AARON NAUGHTON

Now come on Dermie….think the peroxide has finally leeched into your cranium.

Aaron Naughton !!!! Good player but definitely way down the list.

As if we needed anymore reason to not have a night/twilight grand final. Tom Browne talking up how good the half time show was the final nail in the coffin
Yeah as long as he’s on channel 7’s dollar, he’s gonna talk it up but seriously. I saw nothing tonight that was remotely impressive (apart from the dees).

Brereton said ‘if I were selecting a team from scratch , out of all the AFL players, the FIRST player I would choose would be AARON NAUGHTON’

Did Naughton play?

The Age has gone with Weightman for the Leon Davis.

It is slightly upsetting thinking about how far behind our midfield is compared to these two sides.
We beat one comprehensively and drew wit the other.

Brereton said ‘if I were selecting a team from scratch , out of all the AFL players, the FIRST player I would choose would be AARON NAUGHTON’

He's not the first player I'd choose from the Bulldogs list

Goodwin seems like a pretty good bloke. Despite my going for Dogs, really happy for him and the likes of Neale Daniher.

He was as has been mentioned here injecting special Dank potions to give him a bigger dick so yeah top bloke

Superb player for 22-23 year old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just me or does the dogs midfield have a serious imbalance between attacking and defending.

like to me the dogs and the Dee’s have the best midfields.
Yet the dees have Trac and Oliver who are all out attack and Viney and Harmes play the defensive role with Harmes being able to tag. While there depth isn’t as great they just have a structure there that maximises there group.

now the dogs have more depth but who are the defensive players. I notice they use Dunkley on that role but that’s not his go he is a contest beast. Problem is Libba kinda took that spot so Dunkley got pushed down a bit. Treloar, Smith, Bont, Macrae, Libba are all attacking players Dunkley is hardly a defensive beast despite his tackling being great.

Just upon rewatch it stood out how while Bont was amazing with Treloar the rest of the group wasn’t all that great. Yet the dees when Trac and Oliver exploding had no answer. They matched Dunkley and Libba on him but was never going to work once the hall got in space. In the dogs defence felt everytine Martin was out of the ruck, English was getting slaughtered.

This game and year showed the growing importance of the centre square. Starting back 6 and out the front of stoppages is a deadly combination. It's why I feel that Ned Reeves was the most significant debutant this year. He matched Melbourne in the ruck and limited this aspect. In the future he could regularly give us first look. It's a shame we don't have the explosive stoppage players and the likes of Horne-Francis and Callaghan will be gone by our pick. Nash is our best athlete in there, could play more defensive role. Wingard has to start there more often. It will be interesting to see what type of players already on our list Mitchell trials. Will Day in time? Seamus Mitchell? Can CJ develop?

Our backline looks great and the forward line is developing with our young keys. Just don't have explosive midfield talent.

Was Bont really that amazing? He was electric for a quarter and a half, but quiet for the rest. When they needed him to swing the momentum back in the 3rd, he dropped his head along with the other Bulldog mids. I thought it was a poor captains moment.

We beat one comprehensively and drew wit the other.

And the dogs beat Essendon in 2000, hardly was a great indicator of future success.

It's one thing getting up as the underdog a couple of times a season when you are underestimated and quite another to win consistently across the season when being hunted.

I personally take nothing from the dee's and dogs games but annoyance about a worse pick and instead focus on the games against teams at our level (Freo, Saints, Carlton even Gold Coast) as to where we need to improve.

They are bigger cheats than Essendon, and anyone who wanted them to win that match needs to go and have a good long look at themselves.
Figures

It’s NFL season isn’t it Dixie? I didn’t realise the AFL was still on ?

The NFL season is already over for the Jets.

Norm Smith voting.

Luke Hodge (Channel 7)

3 Christian Petracca

2 Bayley Fritsch

1 Clayton Oliver

Harry Taylor (ABC radio)

3 Christian Petracca

2 Bayley Fritsch

1 Christian Salem

Tania Armstrong (Triple M)

3 Christian Petracca

2 Bayley Fritsch

1 Clayton Oliver

Andrew Krakouer (NIRS and Yokayi Footy Show)

3 Christian Petracca

2 Bayley Fritsch

1 Caleb Daniel

Callum Twomey (AFL.com.au)

3 Christian Petracca

2 Bayley Fritsch

1 Clayton Oliver

Totals

Petracca 15

Fritsch 10

Oliver 3

Salem 1

Daniel 1

And the dogs beat Essendon in 2000, hardly was a great indicator of future success.

It's one thing getting up as the underdog a couple of times a season when you are underestimated and quite another to win consistently across the season when being hunted.

I personally take nothing from the dee's and dogs games but annoyance about a worse pick and instead focus on the games against teams at our level (Freo, Saints, Carlton even Gold Coast) as to where we need to improve.
Agree. It’s a bit like a low ranked tennis player beating Djokovic in the third round of a minor tournament then claiming they can win Wimbledon. Even just looking at Melbourne and Bulldogs they have better young talent. I’d expect the gap to widen rather than narrow. For the second year in a row in our rebuild the dogs will enter the draft before we do as well. We have a lot of work to do in particular getting truly elite players into the club

Last edited:
They are bigger cheats than Essendon, and anyone who wanted them to win that match needs to go and have a good long look at themselves.

Thanks Grumbleguts.

I took your advice on board then spent 10 minutes looking at myself in the mirror this morning.

Two realisations:

1. I shouldn't drink as much the night before and
2. I need a haircut.

Last edited:
Back