The MCG should always host the Grand Final post pandemic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hutchy (I know, I know) came up with a good idea.
Redo the MCG contract, do it for 100 years, but every 4th year it goes to a different State.
So the MCG gets 75 Grand Finals and the other States get to host 25

Not one, not one of these muppets said, "Hey, maybe we should have a few more grand finals over here in Perth."

So, I'm glad Hutchy said that. 25/100 is better than nothing for non-Vics. It's obvious even if the Vic gov/MCC/AFL were offered 10 billion, they still wouldn't have it away from the MCG that much, if ever.

I'd settle for 50/50 MCG every second year, with Adelaide and Perth getting more GFs than Brisbane and Sydney because we're footy states. So, something like Melbourne 22, 24, 26, 28 etc, Perth and Adelaide every 6 years, Brisbane and Sydney every 12.

Last edited:
Were you there that night? I've never experienced anything like it.
Yep. Sat behind the goals in the third tier. What a joke that relic is in Melbourne

probably shouldn’t forget the tradition of the mcg though, Warnie picked his nose in the dressing room once on the third day of an ashes test. That should count for something 😂😂😂😂

I think 180,000 people queuing online for 10,000 general admission tickets tells you everything you need to know about WA as a football state. If there were no border closures who knows how many it would be.

Optus Stadium also can be upgraded an extra 20k seats unless im not mistaken.

I think 180,000 people queuing online for 10,000 general admission tickets tells you everything you need to know about WA as a football state. If there were no border closures who knows how many it would be.

Optus Stadium also can be upgraded an extra 20k seats unless im not mistaken.

That's what I've read, too. I don't know if that's true and if it is, how difficult it'd be and how long it'd take, but what I do know is that 80k or 60k, you will guarantee a sellout GF in Perth if you play one here again.

That's what I've read, too. I don't know if that's true and if it is, how difficult it'd be and how long it'd take, but what I do know is that 80k or 60k, you will guarantee a sellout GF in Perth if you play one here again.
Won’t happen. Just shows up what an outdated stadium the mcg is. Next it’ll be the Gabba in 2032 highlighting what a relic that old girl is.

I think this situation we find ourselves in has proven the Grand Final can be played anywhere in the country and sell out, 2 years ago does anyone think an all Melbourne GF played in Perth would sell out? They could’ve sold it out 3 times.

The Neanderball grand final will struggle to sell out once even with 2 Sydney teams playing.

Our game is in great shape.

I think this situation we find ourselves in has proven the Grand Final can be played anywhere in the country and sell out, 2 years ago does anyone think an all Melbourne GF played in Perth would sell out? They could’ve sold it out 3 times.

The Neanderball grand final will struggle to sell out once even with 2 Sydney teams playing.

Our game is in great shape.
The MCG holds 100k and could be sold out 5 times most years

Congratulations to Western Australia, put on a hell of a show, the only question now (IMO) is how the fu** to we get out of this ridiculous MCG deal? The Granny needs to be shared for the good of the game.

Unfortunately, we don't; unless all state governments pitch in and pay out the contract or some very wealthy footy fanatics want to make the Vic gov an offer.

But yeah, I think every ten years you could have Melbourne host 4, Perth 2, Adelaide 2, Sydney 1 and Brisbane 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I spoke too soon. Just seemed very quiet at the beginning, but could have been channel 7’s broadcast.

Was a better spectacle than last year. WA did well in the circumstances.
I was at the game and then came home and watched some of channel 7's coverage. I can say that channel 7 absolutely had the crowd noise muted.

Foxtel's replay has a much more realistic view of the crowd.

I think channel 7 stuff with the crowd mix to highlight their commentary?

I was at the game and then came home and watched some of channel 7's coverage. I can say that channel 7 absolutely had the crowd noise muted.

Foxtel's replay has a much more realistic view of the crowd.

I think channel 7 stuff with the crowd mix to highlight their commentary?
Sounded good on C7 IMO.

Checking the stats, most years it doesn't make capacity, especially if one or more teams are not from Victoria. In fact, attendances have been as low as 77,000 when two non-Victorian teams have played.
Mcg had redevelopement in 2004 limiting capacity. Vic WA and SA would all sell out Grand finals multiple times over no matter who is playing

my memory is that the expert reports said 80 and govt said 60. there was an impasse and govt made the spec "60but expandable to 80." and then went and accepted a bid that was not expandable.

Convinced it should be shared. For a national competition it's criminal some non-Victorian supporters may never get to watch a grand final live or have the opportunity to see their team play in one because they simply cant' afford the extra financial costs, such as flights and accomdation, required when it's at the MCG.

For a code obsessed with growing the game, not allowing other cities to experience the hype of hosting a grand final is not how to do it.

Perth stadium looked fantastic last night. Way better than that ancient concrete shithole in malbun.

The GF should be rotated between Perth stadium, Adelaide Oval and the MCG to ensure a neutral venue.
Why use the "ancient concrete shithole" It should be just rotated between SA and WA, but I see you didn't include NSW and Queensland, why not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back