The MCG should always host the Grand Final post pandemic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Convinced it should be shared. For a national competition it's criminal some non-Victorian supporters may never get to watch a grand final live or have the opportunity to see their team play in one because they simply cant' afford the extra financial costs, such as flights and accomdation, required when it's at the MCG.

For a code obsessed with growing the game, not allowing other cities to experience the hype of hosting a grand final is not how to do it.
Rotating the game will add more cost to more people, that is not an argument in favour of rotating the GF.
Growing the game is the best argument.

Perth stadium looked fantastic last night. Way better than that ancient concrete shithole in malbun.

The GF should be rotated between Perth stadium, Adelaide Oval and the MCG to ensure a neutral venue.
Adelaide Oval?? Don't we want it at world class football venues, not quaint little parks.

People sometimes say "share the AFL grand final around, like the Super Bowl"... But there's only one famous grassy knoll in the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington area, and it's not at Cowboys Stadium!

Rotating the game will add more cost to more people, that is not an argument in favour of rotating the GF.
Growing the game is the best argument.
what absolute bs. The only extra cost will be to viccos who would finally have to pay to travel like the majority of the country does in grand final week. Keep reeling out those piss poor excuses pfft

Ignorant comment.
Last night highlighted how ignorant a fair few of the footballing public are to other states. For years all we heard was “it’ll never sell out with two vicco teams playing in a non vicco state” 😂😂😂 “they’ll never put on a show like at the mcg” 😂😂😂😂 “you need 100k for a good grand final”😂😂😂 and last night just showed it can & has been done & pretty much with only local supporters.

Not one, not one of these muppets said, "Hey, maybe we should have a few more grand finals over here in Perth."

So, I'm glad Hutchy said that. 25/100 is better than nothing for non-Vics. It's obvious even if the Vic gov/MCC/AFL were offered 10 billion, they still wouldn't have it away from the MCG that much, if ever.

I'd settle for 50/50 MCG every second year, with Adelaide and Perth getting more GFs than Brisbane and Sydney because we're footy states. So, something like Melbourne 22, 24, 26, 28 etc, Perth and Adelaide every 6 years, Brisbane and Sydney every 12.
Every 2nd year? Let’s not get crazy. Once a decade I could deal with, so every 40 years all of Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, and Sydney would get to host once.
There everyone is happy.

Yep honestly feel sorry for dees fans just doesn’t feel the same celebrating a drough breaking win in Perth when your club is based and main support base is in Melbourne
If I was a Melbourne fan I would still feel over the moon but I’m sure there is still a little part in all dees supporter that “imagine if it was at the mcg”

Yep honestly feel sorry for dees fans just doesn’t feel the same celebrating a drough breaking win in Perth when your club is based and main support base is in Melbourne
If I was a Melbourne fan I would still feel over the moon but I’m sure there is still a little part in all dees supporter that “imagine if it was at the mcg”
😂😂😂now they know how non Victorian fans feel. Yeh sitting there last night I imagined what it would be like at the old relic. Depressing would be the best word to describe the old girl

what absolute bs. The only extra cost will be to viccos who would finally have to pay to travel like the majority of the country does in grand final week. Keep reeling out those piss poor excuses pfft
We can bang on about cost to the punters as much as we like, but given each club only makes the GF on average every 9 years (which will grow if further teams enter the comp) I would think most people who want to go to the match tend to go with a "you only live once" approach nowadays. I encounter many people of very different socioeconomic levels in my life, and very few of them would not attend a GF due primarily to cost. It's such a rare event for most footy club members that they could nearly all absorb the expense - if only they could actually get a ticket. That's always going to be the biggest restriction to most folks.

So the venue with the greatest historical tradition and the largest capacity is still the best way to go. With the number of corporates that will inevitably need to be included at each venue, the MCG probably doubles the actual number of rank and file footy fans that can get to see it live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every 2nd year? Let’s not get crazy. Once a decade I could deal with, so every 40 years all of Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, and Sydney would get to host once.
There everyone is happy.

And York Park, when Tasmania comes into into competition.

We can bang on about cost to the punters as much as we like, but given each club only makes the GF on average every 9 years (which will grow if further teams enter the comp) I would think most people who want to go to the match tend to go with a "you only live once" approach nowadays. I encounter many people of very different socioeconomic levels in my life, and very few of them would not attend a GF due primarily to cost. It's such a rare event for most footy club members that they could nearly all absorb the expense - if only they could actually get a ticket. That's always going to be the biggest restriction to most folks.

So the venue with the greatest historical tradition and the largest capacity is still the best way to go. With the number of corporates that will inevitably need to be included at each venue, the MCG probably doubles the actual number of rank and file footy fans that can get to see it live.
Keep rolling these piss poor excuses out.

my memory is that the expert reports said 80 and govt said 60. there was an impasse and govt made the spec "60but expandable to 80." and then went and accepted a bid that was not expandable.

Well actually the stadium experts said it should be 60,000, to reduce construction costs, have a bigger atmosphere for smaller events, and reduce operating costs. It seems like a pretty good number. The MCG being so large, and averaging a 50% attendance is a rarity for the premier football league around the globe. So we just have a more sustainable outcome.

And the expansion is only to 70,000, by adding about 10 rows to the back of level 5.

Well actually the stadium experts said it should be 60,000, to reduce construction costs, have a bigger atmosphere for smaller events, and reduce operating costs. It seems like a pretty good number. The MCG being so large, and averaging a 50% attendance is a rarity for the premier football league around the globe. So we just have a more sustainable outcome.

And the expansion is only to 70,000, by adding about 10 rows to the back of level 5.
It’s a perfect size. Lived in melbun and the majority of the time the mcg feels like a soulless concrete cake tin. Always preferred Docklands & would always choose that over the mcg.

It’s a perfect size. Lived in melbun and the majority of the time the mcg feels like a soulless concrete cake tin. Always preferred Docklands & would always choose that over the mcg.
Well it’s a good thing that you or any of us don’t have a say in it.
All the pissing and moaning in the world ain’t going to change a thing. It’s returning to the MCG for at least another 3 decades

Well it’s a good thing that you or any of us don’t have a say in it.
All the pissing and moaning in the world ain’t going to change a thing. It’s returning to the MCG for at least another 3 decades
Yep back to the dump for three decades. Atleast we got a quality stadium for one grand final in our lifetime

Pretty sure you weren’t there. I was and it sh*t on anything the old girl ever dished up.
Says you, I spoke with my cousin and he said it was nothing special.

I watched it on TV and it was nothing special, especially when you said it would put the MCG to shame,.

Embarrassing for you I know, you should get over it though.

Says you, I spoke with my cousin and he said it was nothing special.

I watched it on TV and it was nothing special, especially when you said it would put the MCG to shame,.

Embarrassing for you I know, you should get over it though.
Bwaha yeh you spoke to your cousin😉the long lost cousin I presume. You watched it on tv😂😂😂😂maybe go back to telling everyone how the AFL started ay😂😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back