AFL Grand Final Grand Final 2021 - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Re watching the game this morning and looking at the ages of the dees players, this is the beginning of a dynasty

If Port want to win a flag we have to do more than "play our best". We need to "develop" every aspect of our club.

Developing youth, assembling a proper coaching panel and having a board that thinks about winning premierships rather than focusing on the now.

Re watching the game this morning and looking at the ages of the dees players, this is the beginning of a dynasty

If Port want to win a flag we have to do more than "play our best". We need to "develop" every aspect of our club.

Developing youth, assembling a proper coaching panel and having a board that thinks about winning premierships rather than focusing on the now.
The positioning of Williams and Richardson around Goodwin was important. Yze too in the coaches’ box.
Then their drafting and player development of late has been on point, aided by the raft of very early picks and second round picks that they’ve nailed.
Deep hugely talented list.

Didn’t watch it, have just read a couple of comments here.
Pretty depressing really.
Being middle of the road will destroy us or keep us in an endless cycle of ultimate failure.
No high high draft picks, average coaches.
What’s the point. 😢

Yeah isn’t it outrageous how a team of first rounders comes good eventually… something we’ll never see since when we were actually sh*t everything went to GWS and Fold Coast

Where did Melbourne finish around that time? How many first rounders did we have in our prelim team?

Talent isn't the issue.

Yes, even if we had made the GF I doubt that we would have beaten Melbourne. As you post their ball movement is excellent as they seem to be able to find players in space. I hope Ken was watching and learnt something but somehow I doubt it.

Melbourne crushed a side that beat us by 70+ points. On that basis we are further off the pace than the Port brains trust think we are.
So the question is:

How do we improve enough to beat a side which beat the side we lost to (by 70 points) by 70 points themselves ie. a 140 point differential - with essentially the same playing roster (and bear in mind the older blokes won't get better at their age) and less coaches than this season?

Gee, the future is so exciting :drunk::(:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a complete rethink I could name 8 players in our current team at least that wont get us there.
You can name 8 players in our team who are worse than Jake Bowey, Tom Sparrow, Alex Neal-Bullen or Charlie Spargo? I don't think I'd place any of those names ahead of the likes of Jarrod Lienert or Sam Mayes, let alone our actual best 22.

Nah. Our problem is the top end of talent, not the bottom. And the coach of course.

So the question is:

How do we improve enough to beat a side which beat the side we lost to (by 70 points) by 70 points themselves ie. a 140 point differential - with essentially the same playing roster (and bear in mind the older blokes won't get better at their age) and less coaches than this season?

Gee, the future is so exciting :drunk::(:rolleyes:
It’s not as bad as you think. We beat Geelong by 43 a few weeks ago and Melbourne beat Geelong by 83 in the PF so we’ve only got 40 points to make up.

You can name 8 players in our team who are worse than Jake Bowey, Tom Sparrow, Alex Neal-Bullen or Charlie Spargo? I don't think I'd place any of those names ahead of the likes of Jarrod Lienert or Sam Mayes, let alone our actual best 22.

Nah. Our problem is the top end of talent, not the bottom. And the coach of course.
It's not about anyone being worse than players Melbourne can carry it's about blokes that wont get it done.

It's not about anyone being worse than players Melbourne can carry it's about blokes that wont get it done.
Swap Steven Motlop (I'm assuming he's one of the players you're referring to) for Charlie Spargo last night and you think the Demons suddenly lose? Of course not.

Every premiership side in the history of the game has carried a few average footballers because their top end is so good. Ours isn't. There is no one player in our side who's incapable of being part of the bottom end of a premiership side, but we don't have a Gawn/Oliver/Petracca like midfield to carry them.

for sure

we are miles off melb.

not one of our midfield would makes there midfield. Ours might not even be a B grade midfield compared to theirs.

when the going got tough their elite mids dragged them back into the game. Their elite mids turned up

i would just about take viney over wines, his first 5-10 minutes was brutal. absolute opposite of what wines did in the prelim.

our club is deluded if it thinks it’s close, or can win 3 in 4 years. Not with this list.

after seeing last night it reinforces that without an elite midfield you can’t win a flag.

for sure

we are miles off melb.

not one of our midfield would makes there midfield. Ours might not even be a B grade midfield compared to theirs.

when the going got tough their elite mids dragged them back into the game. Their elite mids turned up

i would just about take viney over wines, his first 5-10 minutes was brutal. absolute opposite of what wines did in the prelim.

our club is deluded if it thinks it’s close, or can win 3 in 4 years. Not with this list.

after seeing last night it reinforces that without an elite midfield you can’t win a flag.
so where does the growth come from if not from the draft, trade or coaching box?

Clearly our midfield stocks hinge on whether Butters and Rozee can be A-graders in there. If they elevate their games as Martin and Petracca did in their respective careers, it makes an enormous difference.

Pretty much this.

The Bulldogs have a similar talent level to us, but with superior coaching.

The Demons have top end talent that blows us out of the water. All of their guns are demonstrably better than our equivalent. Deflating.

Those four Melbourne

so where does the growth come from if not from the draft, trade or coaching box?

Clearly our midfield stocks hinge on whether Butters and Rozee can be A-graders in there. If they elevate their games as Martin and Petracca did in their respective careers, it makes an enormous difference.
Play them in the middle. we seem to be reluctant (I know they were injured at times) but we talk about it just do it, let them learn from being in there. We very rarely start them in there? We stick with the same 3

what have we got to lose, we have the worst midfield, maybe in the top 12 sides.

draft, trade, I’d say both plus add play. Be bold make a play for north’s 1st pick, the kid will just come home anyway, so see what we can do.

play Hayes for Christ sake, piss ladhams off he’s rubbish, find out if Hayes can play we wasted 4 weeks this year

You continuously bombard your forward line quickly out of the middle and you are going to blitzkrieg the opposition. We don’t have those burst, grunt midfield players with penetrating kicks that put the fear of god into defenders anywhere near the quality of what we’ve seen from Melbourne in these finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back