Autopsy Post 2021 Grand Final Western Bulldogs game review, the good the bad and the ugly, come talk about it here!

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought his game was fantastic. Probably doesn't mean much coming from me, and I've alway's respected him as a player anyway, but I thought his performance under pressure was phenomenal. Even when he must have known that they weren't going to win he still kept busting his guts. Sign of a great player.
It's a privilege to have that bloke leading our football club. Will go down as the best player we have ever had

The game highlighted the fundamental importance of strong rucks and burst mids especially in a 6/6/6 environment - we need to adapt to that or we will go close but without smoking the cigar

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Pretty much sums up many pages of discussion of where are deficiencies lie. Don't forget our other long term issue: the lack of the key intercepting backman. We'll get plenty more of this in the Trade thread - again!

I don’t think we are as young as people believe. No doubt we have a good 2 year window coming up, but Libba and Treloar will 30 and 29 next year. Keath 30, Duryea 31 who are our best 2 defenders. Even Bont and Macrae will be 27 and 28 next year which isn’t young.

On the whole Melbourne’s core is younger.

We have a good group coming through in early 20s like Baz and Naughty, but the majority of our core are in their prime. Now is the time to win flags.

30 is the equivalent of what 33 used to be these days. Bont’s 25 now so he’s not going to be 27 next footy season. Other than Martin, Wood and maybe Duyrea you would expect the rest of last nights 22 to be playing footy still in 2024, but the bulk of the 2016 core will still be playing in the late 2020s.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Folks please don't take this as a smart arse post or anything - it's not my nature. Just wanted to say kudos to your fans for sticking out right to the end, including medal presentation and the cup. I was right on the end of my row and the block next to me was full of Dogs fans. I don't think I saw a single person leave until the formalities were completed.

Some bogus dogs supporters in the crowd wanting high 5s from the dees lap of honour. WTF!!
I didn't even get that far, turned the whole thing off at 4 mins to go, haven't watched or read anything since except this thread :(

I assume Petracca got the NS?

Folks please don't take this as a smart arse post or anything - it's not my nature. Just wanted to say kudos to your fans for sticking out right to the end, including medal presentation and the cup. I was right on the end of my row and the block next to me was full of Dogs fans. I don't think I saw a single person leave until the formalities were completed.

Sorry, wasn't me :(

Unlucky last night. Hard for me to really read the Bulldgos performance because when the Demons flicked the switch, they played about as well as any team I've ever seen play.

Honestly, the scoreline doesn't really reflect the game. It didn't feel like other recent Grand Finals where one team put in an awful performance and got belted. I thought it was a really good game of football. A tight, great contest for 3 and a half quarters, then the Dees played some of the most enjoyable, champagne football you will ever see (unless you're a Dogs fan of course).

All the best for next year, you should be back up there amongst it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much love for Bont. I did read a couple of comments post-match that questioned his leadership. Maybe just frustration. I thought he was enormous for a lot of the game. Not much more you can do to carry the team as an individual, I'm my opinion, when nearly everyone around you is grinding to a halt.

He was tremendous.

What sums up dees fans for me was the guy in my section near the bulldog cheer squad, got up mouthing off at everyone in the first quarter, never heard a peep out of him during the second and first half of the third quarters, then proceeded to turn around mouth off and stick his fingers up at everyone throughout the last quarter. I know there are bad eggs in all supporters and people like that shouldn’t be allowed at the footy but not sure I’ve ever come across a more entitled bunch than the dees supporters. Cannot be happy for them at all and they will be worse than tigers supporters ever were

Much love for Bont. I did read a couple of comments post-match that questioned his leadership. Maybe just frustration. I thought he was enormous for a lot of the game. Not much more you can do to carry the team as an individual, I'm my opinion, when nearly everyone around you is grinding to a halt.
Anyone who has an issue with Marcus’ performance is a dead set ******* dumb campaigner.

Congratulations to Melbourne, they were the better team and deserved the win. Very proud of the doggies for getting to the GF and bringing so much joy to us fans this year.

I apologize if someone has mentioned this in a previous post. But one thing we all need to consider is the fact that last year we only played 18 games including a final with reduced quarters. This year we played 26 games including our four finals at full length quarters. That is a massive increase in playing time throughout the course of the year. Correct me if I'm wrong but according to my maths

Year 2020 = 16 min quarters x 4 = 64 x 18 games = 1152 mins not including time on

Year 2021 = 20 min quarters x 4 = 80 x 26 games = 2080 mins not including time on

That's a pretty significant difference between last year and this year. And that doesn't take into account the affect of all the interstate travel we did during finals and the covid restrictions we were put through. If we won the GF it would have gone down as the greatest premiership in the history of the sport with all things considered. If anything it will prove to the players how important it is to make life easier for themselves by finishing top two and winning that first game through to the prelim. You have to do everything you can to take the path of least resistance.

It was always going to be a monumental task to win last night. But we should be proud of what a fantastic effort it was just getting there.

Suppose that goes one of two ways with how the team responds. But now we know Melbourne are the benchmark, and have to figure out how we're going to top that ourselves.

Martin just didn't have one more game left in him.

Fretting over which of Cordy or Gardner plays shows just how dire that position is for us.

In a certain sense I don't think MD is entirely wrong when he (suddenly appears) to sh*t on our defense. Keath and Duryea are elite at actually defending. That's it. I know the run and drive out of the backline is part of Bev's identity as a coach but we need to be able to better deal with losing centre clearances. You won't want to plan for failure but there has to be a contingency there. Our general midfield dominance throughout the season helped a lot in keeping our score against low. Keath needs a partner in crime like May has with Lever. Getting Crozier back in form would help a lot also.

Anyway. I think Roarke can hold his head high. He's gone from a melt-inducing selection to finding a real niche for himself on this team. Good on him.
Yep MD showing up to sh!t on our defence/doggies is standard practise. MD is like a cloud, its always much brighter when he goes.

However the fact is our defence has been in the top 4 of defensive statistics for most of the session. We have Bailey Dale as an AA this year, Caleb as a last year's AA, Bailey Williams has saved us in a few games this year but just had a mulligan in the worst time possible.

If we acquireda KPD that could release Keathy to be that interceptor, or defence would be in much better shape.

But this game was busted open by loosing the midfield battle. Why we didn't put a hard tag on Oliver and petracca in the 2nd half is beyond me.

Yep MD showing up to sh!t on our defence/doggies is standard practise. MD is like a cloud, its always much brighter when he goes.

However the fact is our defence has been in the top 4 of defensive statistics for most of the session. We have Bailey Dale as an AA this year, Caleb as a last year's AA, Bailey Williams has saved us in a few games this year but just had a mulligan in the worst time possible.

If we acquireda KPD that could release Keathy to be that interceptor, or defence would be in much better shape.

But this game was busted open by loosing the midfield battle. Why we didn't put a hard tag on Oliver and petracca in the 2nd half is beyond me.

So glad he's suspended. This board was so much better when he disappeared for a month to deal with his "personal issues." Hope its a lifetime suspension and we never have to read his self-absorbed drivel again.

Hopefully they weren’t there to see your players seemingly mocking the dogs by dancing to the song our guys played in the rooms after our finals wins? That aside, enjoy your win and thanks for the respectful post

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At the end of the day we capitulated but we were still in it up to our eyeballs before we collapsed, need to come back fitter and stronger next season. Need more pace through the middle, Smith and Treloar have burst speed but the rest of our midfield is pretty one paced.

like if you look at the recent track record Crows in 2017, Dees in 2018, Gws in 2019 all didnt make finals the next year its a fair call i hope its wrong and it could just be the dead inside of me talking but im not overally optimistic
You guys have a considerably more talented list than the Crows and Dees had in 2017 and 2018, respectively. GWS have had a supremely talented list for the better part of a decade now and 2019 was the only year it seemed to come together. Sydney got belted in 2014 and we were back in 2016 (absolutely decimated by injuries in 2015, nothing to do with any sort of GF curse). I wouldn't read too much into it.

Anyway, pardon the intrusion. All the best for the off-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back