Opinion Who don't you see playing in our next premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

So what are you actually arguing here?

That these guys aren't good enough to play in a premiership team? I can only assume not, because if you think Travis Boak isn't good enough to play in a premiership team considering some of the duds who became premiership players last night you're delusional. That they're too old to play in a premiership? Okay, so then why are DBJ and Bonner on the list?

This thread is just an illogical vent with no real purpose.

I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking that we won't make a GF for the next x amount of years, so therefore these older heads won't be around to make it happen.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with saying, well player x just isn't good enough so we should cut them.

But like I said, then it just becomes another list management thread.

That these guys aren't good enough to play in a premiership team? I can only assume not, because if you think Travis Boak isn't good enough to play in a premiership team considering some of the duds who became premiership players last night you're delusional. That they're too old to play in a premiership? Okay, so then why are DBJ and Bonner on the list? That the team in general isn't good enough to win a premiership? You're probably right there, but if that's your argument why are you singling out 8 players?

No the purpose is at some point you have to make hard decisions

Perhaps you have to blood more midfielders rather than Trav running around until he 38

Perhaps the way Charlie plays is part of why the forward line breaks down

Perhaps you weed out flaky types before you plug years & years in like Jasper, Bonner etc.

Perhaps you don't give absolute spectators like Motlop a contract extension

I dunno crazzy s**t mate perhaps Melbs should've kept Jack Watts & played Nate Jones last night.

That these guys aren't good enough to play in a premiership team? I can only assume not, because if you think Travis Boak isn't good enough to play in a premiership team considering some of the duds who became premiership players last night you're delusional. That they're too old to play in a premiership? Okay, so then why are DBJ and Bonner on the list? That the team in general isn't good enough to win a premiership? You're probably right there, but if that's your argument why are you singling out 8 players?

I take it as a reframe of a football discussion. It presupposes a premiership team and therefore becomes more positive than negative.

Silly thread alot can change in 12 months. Do i have faith ken can takes us to the promised land no! But Steven Bradbury probably didn't think he would ever win a gold medal either anything can happen in sport. We could sack ken next year then the guy who takes over could win a flag in his first year. Writing guys off while they are still playing for our club and jumper is silly and unportadelaide.
Remember it took russell ebert 10 seasons to play in a premiship at port he debut in 68 didn't win a flag till 77. The club didn't give up and turn on each other they grew stronger over time.

The thread is not that silly.

After watching a premiership side last night highlighted the massive gap there is between us and them. The only way to close that gap (besides sacking Hinkley) is to look at your list and see which players have what it takes skill wise, mentally and physically.

I think our list needs more talent and mentally strong types for us to improve.

The thread is not that silly.

After watching a premiership side last night highlighted the massive gap there is between us and them. The only way to close that gap (besides sacking Hinkley) is to look at your list and see which players have what it takes skill wise, mentally and physically.

I think our list needs more talent and mentally strong types for us to improve.
Twelve months ago would you consider these players to be mentally and physically dominant...

Neal-Bullen
Spargo
Fritsch
Rivers
Petty
Sparrow

Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Harmes, Salem all absolutely Shat the bed against West Coast only 3 seasons ago...

Gee its a good thing Melbourne didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater after that season....

Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Harmes, Salem all absolutely Shat the bed against West Coast only 3 seasons ago...

Gee its a good thing Melbourne didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater after that season....

The oldest player of that lot was 14 at the time. They’ve rounded into their peak years and resoundingly got the job done.

Goodwin was in his second year as coach.

These comparisons are delusional bullsh¡t.

Twelve months ago would you consider these players to be mentally and physically dominant...

Neal-Bullen
Spargo
Fritsch
Rivers
Petty
Sparrow

I don't know too much about Melbourne players but yes you have a point, we did break down Gawn fairly well.

What I am trying to say is the standards set by koch and Hinkley have proved not to make players mentally tough enough when it counts, hence the flat track bully tag.
Unfortunately imo this can have a long lasting effect on a player. Melbourne also have a much better coach than we do, that was proven last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the prelim this would be my list

Boak
Gray
Dixon
Jonas
McKenzie
DBJ
Motlop
Bonner (I know he played ok but I don't rate his body of work)

There's probably more to be truthful imo but when do you pull the trigger?
When are you expecting to win a flag? next year? 2023? Several years ago I said our best chance if we don't win one in 2014-17 years will be in 2025-27 years. KT saying in late 2019 that the club are trying to build the best U/23 squad, further confirmed that next window in my mind. If we win one in that window, then 17 to 19 of the 23 who played in the PF a couple of weeks ago, wont be in the side.

The oldest player of that lot was 14 at the time. They’ve rounded into their peak years and resoundingly got the job done.

Goodwin was in his second year as coach.

These comparisons are delusional bullsh¡t.
14 wow they did great to reach a prelim then!

So you are saying Drew, Rozee, Butters, Marshall, Bergman, Ladhams, Houston, Bonner, Burton couldn't "round into their peak"

When are you expecting to win a flag? next year? 2023? Several years ago I said our best chance if we don't win one in 2014-17 years will be in 2025-27 years. KT saying in late 2019 that the club are trying to build the best U/23 squad, further confirmed that next window in my mind. If we win one in that window, then 17 to 19 of the 23 who played in the PF a couple of weeks ago, wont be in the side.
I sort of agree with this but the one thing we didn't know was what out footy department was going to like ahead of time, Hinkley, Bassett, Cornes & Hentschel are still here.
CD has earned his place.

14 wow they did great to reach a prelim then!

It was truly unprecedented. Scott Van Pelt even mentioned it on ESPN.

So you are saying Drew, Rozee, Butters, Marshall, Bergman, Ladhams, Houston, Bonner, Burton couldn't "round into their peak"

Only Rozee and Butters have truly elite superstar potential out of that lot, the rest are just guys of varying ability that every other club in the competition could point to a crop of their own.

Only Rozee and Butters have truly elite superstar potential out of that lot, the rest are just guys of varying ability that every other club in the competition could point to a crop of their own.
And of that Melbourne bunch only Gawn, Petracca and Oliver had elite superstar potential.

And yes I totally agree with you any club can point to a crop of their own just like Melbourne could have pointed to that crop in 2019. I'm just saying it's easy to twist history with hindsight but everything people are saying right now people were saying about that Melbourne team in 2019.

And of that Melbourne bunch only Gawn, Petracca and Oliver had elite superstar potential.

I’m not arguing for the sake of it here — that’s just not true. Brayshaw had overcome countless concussions to finish 3rd in the Brownlow that year.

Viney was long-touted as a future captain who was still viewed as very much on par with Wines.

Salem was already considered one of the best young halfback flankers in the comp.

We’re sat here at the tail-end of an era with Westhoff, Ebert, Hartlett, Rockliff, Boak, Gray either gone or about to be gone.

Our Melbourne 2018 was way back in 2014, when we had a genuinely hot young core with only Cassisi and Kane about to mosey on out.

I see the logic you have but I doubt the club does, what was it 3 in 5 years or some horseshit?

I like the thread, looking forward, making assesments and not blaming.
tommy jonas for me is interesting re future.
Vines has matured and could be captain next year?
Pepper has a big question mark, sort of surprised not in ladhams category.
gray and boak for age obvious + motlop.
make this a football thread not a blaming thread
be constructive teekray
I don't think I've ever read a post of yours that makes any sense.

I see the logic you have but I doubt the club does, what was it 3 in 5 years or some horseshit?
They didn't say 3 AFL premierships. They will take 1 AFL, 1 SANFL and 1 AFLW.

From the prelim this would be my list

Boak
Gray
Dixon
Jonas
McKenzie
DBJ
Motlop
Bonner (I know he played ok but I don't rate his body of work)

There's probably more to be truthful imo but when do you pull the trigger?
I would add Lycett, as for the life of me I don’t see us winning a premiership whilst Ken is at the helm.

View attachment 1246540

Those 3 flags includes the Magpies and AFLW team.

Edit: too quick, REH
Well done for digging that up tribey. I didn't say much about it at the time as I wanted to hear what the media response, supporters response and the club response was, to it all. Richo left it open that 3 flags was a mighty goal and why not put it out there. He deliberately left it open that the club has set a high goal in total, not just in the AFL.

The media, AFL supporters and plenty of our own supporters don't think much and automatically and non thinkingly lapped it up as 3 flags in the AFL. The club will count all flags in their total. They have 3 teams so they will count flags won by all teams. They can't all of a sudden ignore the SANFL flag after banging on about how many they have won, since they entered the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back