Australia v India (women's: 3 ODIs, 1 Test, 3 T20Is)

Which teenager are you expecting to be the most sensational?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The streak is over
wwe-fan.gif

A good result for the series and, quite frankly, I'm glad the streak is over. Sick of hearing about it, and I just had a bad feeling that if it wasn't going to end today then it was gonna happen in a World Cup final.

For all 3 games, batting in the afternoon has looked much easier. Somebody tell me if I'm off base there, otherwise it's fair to say Mega made the wrong decision at the last two tosses. And just as confidently I'd say India's decision to drop Sneh Rana for the 2nd match was also a big mistake.

Not that we want so many of Australia's regular XI to be unavailable, rusty or getting struck down (literally, in some cases)... but at the start of a long summer, it couldn't be much better timing, and in many ways it's been ideal by allowing more games for the fringe players. The fact we hadn't done that properly for ages was one of the few things that could come back to bite us in a crucial match, and being able to address that now has definitely resulted in a net positive despite the loss today.

Going back to this, Campbell been consistently around 115 today. Sutherland been a little bit quicker. You were pretty much spot on Teen Wolf. Certainly not the 130 that was claimed.
Yeah, possibly added some pace from last season if we're to assume she'll bowl quicker in T20s, but I guess we'll have to wait until the WBBL (or maybe the final leg of this series) to find out. Either way, it's not all that important for a mutant freak like Campbell anyway, because it's obviously the extra bounce which will define her.

And while I'm not going to be so brazen to assert no female bowler will ever crack 130 (confirmed record being Ismail with 128, though Sharon Tredrea makes the dubious claim that she was clocked at 134 in the 70s/80s), such a benchmark is in the FloJo 10.49 echelon for mine.

Megan Schutt or Jess Jonasson not playing made that ODI's series far more exciting, Perry's poor bowling performance in all three games didn't help Australia's cause either, hopefully she will be better in the test. We are looking a little inexperienced in the bowling stocks coming into the test match, it will be really interesting to see what the coaches are going to do, I'd expect to see Darcie Brown in the test, she was very good in the first two. Sutherland was good today and would have to be a strong chance. Hopefully Molineux is not too badly injured and can play and the same goes for Wareham.

It's going to be a very interesting few days.

Test team I would select:

Healy
Haynes
Lanning
Perry
Mooney
Redmayne
Gardner
McGrath
Molineux
Wareham
Campbell

Assumptions: Vlaeminck unavailable, Molineux definitely available, (Wareham, Haynes, Mooney) all available
Sutherland, Carey, D Brown all unlucky to miss out, but potential inclusions if Wareham is unavailable.

The bowling lineup would be:

Campbell
Perry
McGrath
Molineux
Wareham
Gardner

The unusual selection I've gone for is Redmayne. With Healy and Perry in the top six, the team will have 6 bowling options. So in a test match, I don't see the need for another all-rounder at six, whose batting is not as good as Redmayne.
(Side note, in the most recent test match, the top six was Healy, Bolton, Lanning, Perry, Haynes and Mooney. So Redmayne in for Bolton is a like-for-like swap).

Having said that, I expect that both Gardner and McGrath are near certainties to be selected, and the Aussie selectors will probably choose:
1 to 5: Healy, Haynes, Lanning, Perry, Mooney,
6 and 7: Gardner, McGrath
8: Molineux,
3 more bowlers

and so with McGrath at 7 and Molineux at 8, the batting lineup would still be quite strong.

Last edited:
Mooney
Healy
Haynes
Lanning
Perry
McGrath
Redmayne
Gardner
Molineux
Sutherland
Brown/Campbell

Redmayne I dont know a lot about. No stats on cricinfo. But she did skipper Qld to a WNCL title last year with a pair of centuries thrown in. She can also double as keeper should anything happen to Healy. Sutherland may surprise us all as she offers both bat and ball options.

Close to the side. Perry will bat 4 though, and Lanning aint batting anywhere other than 3 lol.

The no6 is a tough one, do they go with an extra bat like you have named or would a Gardner type for instance as an extra spinner who can bat come into play. Gut feeling says they want another AR in with Perry bowling lets be real, awful. Whether that's the spin type in Gardner or the pace type in a Carey not so sure.

The team I would select are:

Healy
Haynes
Lanning
Perry
Mooney
Gardner
McGrath
Sutherland/Redmayne
Molineux
Wareham
Darcie Brown

The one selection I'm still unsure about is whether they will go with an extra batter (Redmayne) or an extra fast bowler/all rounder (Sutherland), because of Perry's poor bowling form in the ODI's I'm leaning towards Sutherland, she is also a capable batter scoring a fifty in an ODI against New Zealand last year.

The team I would select are:

Healy
Haynes
Lanning
Perry
Mooney
Gardner
McGrath
Sutherland/Redmayne
Molineux
Wareham
Darcie Brown

The one selection I'm still unsure about is whether they will go with an extra batter (Redmayne) or an extra fast bowler/all rounder (Sutherland), because of Perry's poor bowling form in the ODI's I'm leaning towards Sutherland, she is also a capable batter scoring a fifty in an ODI against New Zealand last year.

Pretty much bang on, I'd personally select Carey but if they went Sutherland that would be fine as it takes a bet both ways with Sutherland. Only slight query with Sutherland is how match fit is she? There's ODI and T20 fit and then there's test match fit. That's not something anyone other than people in the team bubble would know. Gut feeling is they might go with Carey as she is a bit more fit and Nicola has been batting well too.

Pretty much bang on, I'd personally select Carey but if they went Sutherland that would be fine as it takes a bet both ways with Sutherland. Only slight query with Sutherland is how match fit is she? There's ODI and T20 fit and then there's test match fit. That's not something anyone other than people in the team bubble would know. Gut feeling is they might go with Carey as she is a bit more fit and Nicola has been batting well too.
Carey is a strong chance, she can bowl a consistent line and length all day and is more than capable with the bat. I wouldn't be surprised or upset if she makes the team, but I think she might be 12th Man/Woman/Person.

As much as I like her, I have always seen her as a second choice option if Sutherland or Perry are unavailable.

Carey is a strong chance, she can bowl a consistent line and length all day and is more than capable with the bat. I wouldn't be surprised or upset if she makes the team, but I think she might be 12th Man/Woman/Person.

As much as I like her, I have always seen her as a second choice option if Sutherland or Perry are unavailable.

Think for Nicola to be a certain selection it's her batting that needs to be a lot more consistent, now to be fair the two bats she got this series she's done well, but it is what is holding her back. No issues with her bowling and she is one of the better death bowlers we have.

I just don't know how fit Sutherland is, and that's a huge risk in a test match, you'd almost expect them to go safe and not consider Sutherland yet and get her a game or two in the t20's and then the WBBL to come building up her loads. Do feel it's a choice between a genuine bat in Redmayne or a AR in Gardner or Carey. Ash gives you a second spin option too.

Whoever they go with you can't lose really, you'd assume our batting couldn't bat any worse than we have the last two games (lets be real Mooney saved our you know what's game 2, and game 3 we were 20 short at a minimum).

I'm not concerned with Sutherland's fitness, she played well yesterday and didn't look to have any issues.

If you are concerned with a players fitness, you should be more concerned with Haynes, Mooney, Wareham and Molineux. They are ones that look to have the biggest injury cloud hanging over them.

If Wareham and Haynes are fit, I'd go with
1. Haynes
2. Mooney
3. Lanning
4. Perry
5. Healy
6. Gardiner
7. McGrath
8. Sutherland
9. Molineux
10. Wareham
11. Brown
12th. Carey

I would rather bat really deep and back in Molineux and Wareham to bowl a lot. I did consider picking Carey over Brown or Sutherland but feel both of them provide a stronger bowling lineup. Sutherland and Brown to open up the attack. Healy goes to 5 as she is a keeper and would be tired from keeping all game, plus Mooney has a more suitable game to opening. If perry fails to fire in the test match, I think she should be dropped for the first t20.

If Haynes isn't fit, I would select Redmayne and if Wareham isn't fit, I would select Strano or Carey.

Lockdown uncertainty in Queensland at the moment, the only solution is to push the start of the Test back a couple of days (when the weather is forecast to be far better, whadda ya know...).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lockdown uncertainty in Queensland at the moment, the only solution is to push the start of the Test back a couple of days (when the weather is forecast to be far better, whadda ya know...).

Would help with a few girls touch and go. They have pushed the shield back a week

Test team I would select:

Healy
Mooney
Lanning
Perry
Redmayne
Gardner
McGrath
Molineux
Sutherland
Wareham
Campbell

Assumptions: Vlaeminck and Haynes unavailable, Molineux definitely available, Wareham and Mooney both available
Carey, D Brown unlucky to miss out, but potential inclusions if Wareham is unavailable.

The bowling lineup would be:

Campbell
Sutherland
Perry
McGrath
Molineux
Wareham
Gardner

Redmayne no longer a strange selection given the absence of Haynes. In fact, it would be more weird if she was left out, with someone like Gardner or McGrath batting at number 5. In a test match, 7 bowling options is more than plenty. Excluding Redmayne for the sake of an 8th bowling option is excessive.

Wouldn't be too disappointed if D Brown was selected ahead of Campbell.
Carey is a good ODI and T20 player, but I don't think her wicket-taking ability or batting is good enough to play ahead of the other bowling all-rounders in the test match.

Mott wont commit names at this stage but says he will be picking some debutants with Haynes gone. He also said a forecast of the odd storm and overcast will suit the pacers. So with Wareham out who do they see as the best spinner/bat out of Gardner or Molineux. Sutherland is also in the mix according to the scribes.

Whareham is more likely to get wickets, Gardner more likely to get runs not that Whareham is some bunny with the bat. Think Reymayne is a certainty as thts a like for like with Haynes that’s one debut.

Wareham is out injured. Haynes is a big loss. Dont know much about Redmayne but doubt she has Hayne's temperament.

Won’t know until Redmayne is given a chance. Of course Haynes experience will be missed dearly.

Forgot Whareham was injured probably go Molineux then. I expect them to load up with quicks with the forecast

One aspect of this match that seems to have been forgotten is a pinkie.. first ever played by our women. So whoever performs best during the evening hours with dew, artificial lites and a pink ball that can talk.. will go a long way to winning. Australia has the quicker attack. Indians do not like fast bouncy bowling.

One thing I'll say though is that the new "pink" balls don't do nearly as much as the first few versions. It does largely depend on the pitch too. Are they brave enough to make the pitch a bit grassy, I hope they do as the last pink ball test with Perry making a double ton was too flat. Taking nothing away from Pez's innings but the pitch was too flat. I almost say it's more important in womens tests to make the pitch a bit greener than usual.

Coach Mott says the deck is grassy green now but may have a shave before the match.

Hope they don't give it a shave. Pitch needs to be green, It creates a better contest you don't want hundreds being easy!

By the same token you dont want it to be too green either. We all want a fair contest between bat and ball.

Rather it be too green than too flat. We had too flat last year and whilst it was lovely seeing Perry making a double by jeez the pitch was as boring as bat rubbish. Now that might just be NSO which is a disgraceful pitch at the best of times. Lets hope this one is a fair contest

Rather it be too green than too flat. We had too flat last year and whilst it was lovely seeing Perry making a double by jeez the pitch was as boring as bat rubbish. Now that might just be NSO which is a disgraceful pitch at the best of times. Lets hope this one is a fair contest
That was 4 years ago.

It will be a draw this test match. They will hardly get any play the first two days. Then there is only 2 days to go considering it is only 4 days in women's test matches!

Back