Online Ordering Companies v Ordering Takeaway Directly

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting last night to look at a major online food delivery company versus the cost of ordering directly from the small business.

Most food items were about $4 dearer on the app.

$2 app delivery fee
$4 service fee

Saved about $20 ordering direct and picking it up. If it were a larger order, plenty more.

The small business is probably making a greater margin too.

Does anyone else compare?

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting last night to look at a major online food delivery company versus the cost of ordering directly from the small business.

$2 app delivery fee
$4 service fee

Saved about $20 ordering direct and picking it up. If it were a larger order, plenty more.

Yeah I've noticed the higher prices too. I can't believe so many use Uber Eats etc, geez it's dear.

Yeah I always pick up. Cheaper and imposes a bit of forced discipline around eating too much crap - if I have to spend 20mins picking something up I may as well cook.
Chefs of Tandoori on Unley Road are my prefered curry house if I can't be arsed going into the city to see Amrik, they have an excellent online ordering system and then you can nick down and pick it up yourself.

$2 app delivery fee
$4 service fee

one of the major landlords of HJs in Perth, is looking to kick them out, as they can't pay the rent

essentially HJs margins have been destroyed by delivery services

if it is hard for these guys, how hard must it be for ordinary family businesses?

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Clearly not living in Melbourne right now then ;)

iu

I think they do it here ,just never used it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think many of the providers on these apps are now marking up their products ordered through the apps to make up for the lost margins. So unless you don’t have a car or you‘ve been drinking, better to pick it up yourself.

I might have a look at some other apps tonight and do a similar comparison.

Crusey

Team Captain
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Some of the restaurants used to run two menus, one for the delivery apps and one for local pickup

Noticing moreso these days they only run one and are passing on the higher costs to local pickups to cover the delivery app costs

Few months ago I priced a $100 chinese order and saved $28 by picking it up vs Menulog delivery

Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
Some of the restaurants used to run two menus, one for the delivery apps and one for local pickup

Noticing moreso these days they only run one and are passing on the higher costs to local pickups to cover the delivery app costs

Few months ago I priced a $100 chinese order and saved $28 by picking it up vs Menulog delivery

i noticed that with one near us, it was about $30 more to order with uber eats than with the restaurant

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
one of the major landlords of HJs in Perth, is looking to kick them out, as they can't pay the rent

essentially HJs margins have been destroyed by delivery services

if it is hard for these guys, how hard must it be for ordinary family businesses?

Probably easier.. HJs and the other big time fast food joints run on such a small ROS as it is

I've found a lot of businesses have finally clicked on to the ghost kitchen concept - a local pizza joint has set up a fried chicken restaurant for the purpose of ordering apps. It gives them different branding and when compared to normal eat in/take away restaurants they increase their pricing by 20-30% to account for the app fee. It's smart thinking and if I still owned my cafe I would have definitely done this (was thinking about doing it long before COVID as it was anyway)

I felt bad a few weeks ago, I used menulog to order from our local pizza joint. THey use their own driver however and when he turned up he asked if we could please order through the store in the future. Kudos and I have done so since. Sometimes as mentioned its easier to be lazy despite the costs.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Some real fat awkward slobs out there. Picking up the phone to order your food is now seen as a barrier to business.

Get your life together losers.

Stratton_Gun

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 4, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Delivery apps just aren't worth it.
For example a foot long sub would be $20+ delivered
Used to be able to get a meatball foot long for $7. These days it's about 12 + about $6 delivery and another $4 service charge whatever that is

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
Well.. I mean my fat slob excuse is that in this world of lockdown I’m usually too inebriated to drive & pick food up

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Uber Eats is a scourge. 30% cut goes to Uber and then they take a cut of the driver's delivery fee too.

Local cafe restaurant near me is depressing half the time now. Walk past and there are empty tables while a handful of Indian dudes stand around outside staring at their phones waiting for brown paper bags of food.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Uber Eats is a scourge. 30% cut goes to Uber and then they take a cut of the driver's delivery fee too.

Local cafe restaurant near me is depressing half the time now. Walk past and there are empty tables while a handful of Indian dudes stand around outside staring at their phones waiting for brown paper bags of food.
Most semi popular eateries are like that now. Shits me to no end

I dont use uber eats for reasons outlined here. I dont care if it means the driver misses out on some $. * them too.

A lesson in business is control the market

Be it uber, recording studios (pre digital), unions, stock brokers (pre digital), Microsoft (decades) …….if you control the market, you get an unfair share

Back