Opinion Is Petracca's 39 touches the best GF performance ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dusty last year was better. One of the greater ones for sure. Anyone quoting a bygone era where forwards had no zones and a paddock to themselves are kidding themselves. There is absolutely no way they would do s**t in todays game where you can't just be a big bear in the square like Lockett and get the ball fed through you all day with much more space to run into.

Might want to go back and read again, and see if you can make a legitimate argument to the point and not try and reinforce your strawman. I dont need any other argument when you haven't even addressed the initial premise.

Please if you are going with ‘strawman’ as a suggested argument at least use it correctly. It is actually ‘Straw man’. The form you are using is actually a bastardised form. Again you struggle to pick up the cues of persuasive techniques. The reference to the fact that no one else was able to achieve the feat 30 years before or for 60 years after would surely show you that it is an incredible achievement the few others can do.

Some people have short memories, midfielders don't even have a player play on them anymore, imagine I'd diesel Williams didn't have anyone on him 95, he'd have 60 possessions and 10 goals.

We erupt that the umpires only vote for midfielders in the Brownlow, yet a panel of experts do the same on grand final day. I thought Fritsch was bog, he kicked 6, he swung the momentum, and as a general rule the fwds are always outnumbered by defenders, their job is so much tougher than mids, petracca second best and one vote to Oliver for negati g the Bont, who played one of the best quarters you will see in the 2nd quarter.

Best of all time is Gazza in 89, Andy McCloud in 97 & 98, diesel 95, long 93, David Rhys Jones 87, Gary Ayres in 86, dusty 17

Please if you are going with ‘strawman’ as a suggested argument at least use it correctly. It is actually ‘Straw man’. The form you are using is actually a bastardised form. Again you struggle to pick up the cues of persuasive techniques. The reference to the fact that no one else was able to achieve the feat 30 years before or for 60 years after would surely show you that it is an incredible achievement the few others can do.
My argument wasn't that it wasn't a good achievement, it was that without seeing it, you can't really make a fair comparison compared to games we can all see. You're basing your opinion on stats only. It was a simple but clear argument that you still don't really seem to comprehend what you're trying to argue against, because you've got it wrong again.

My second part, and this is more opinion than the above fact, is that I don't rate that era as much because if the circumstances compared to now or don't think it compares to the more relative modern performances, but that part is opinion and I'm not going to argue over my opinion on that.

I think sometimes we get caught up on numbers. For me, it has to pass the eye test. Ablett, Bartlett, Black, Hodge and Martin have all done the spectacular during Grand Finals in the past.

Petracca's game was strong but where was the spectacular?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think sometimes we get caught up on numbers. For me, it has to pass the eye test. Ablett, Bartlett, Black, Hodge and Martin have all done the spectacular during Grand Finals in the past.

Petracca's game was strong but where was the spectacular?

His clearances in the third were pretty bloody spectacular...

His clearances in the third were pretty bloody spectacular...
Not to mention the dribbler.

Third Norm Smith medallist to kick the first goal of the GF, behind Gary Ablett and James Hird. Few number 5s there. Was also a ******* blinder of a goal.

Shuey was phenomenal, and in a much closer GF too. Very comfortable putting that game above Trac's, esp considering 30 point lead he clawed the Eagles back from.

I think a bit of context is important. Not taking anything away from Trac but the last quarter the dogs gave up. That goal though would have to be one of best. Game in the balance and it had a domino effect which imo ended up breaking the game open.

Interesting that he held the record then lost a stat after the game.

He was huge, but he didn't win it or keep his team in it single handedly like Ablett in 89 or Dusty in 2020.

Would happily include Tracc in the top 5 though.

Half way through the third quarter I thought Bonts game might be the best captains performance i've ever seen in a Grand Final.

Edit: Just noticed that Bont didn't get a single Norm Smith vote which is absolutely absurd.

I reckon he lost a possession in the last quarter on the wing. He received a handball and fell over and the ball spilled out, he motioned a handball but I don't think he did it probably should have been htb as he was being tackled.

Diesel in 95' went alright. Only 31 touches, but 5 goals and 3 assists make up for it. No heat in that game though, so hard to rate it.

For your ordinary player it's a great game but for diesel it was pretty standard so diesel was an extraordinary player.

Phenomenal performance but was part of a team effort. Slamming on 100 points in 30 minutes isn’t the result of 1 player.

Think Dusty’s 4 last year was more against the general flow of play, and each one (except the last) had a huge impact on the game, not to mention just about no one else in the league could have kicked them.

Dusty dragged his team over the line, whereas Trac played his part to perfection like many of his teammates did in a dominant team performance

Had plenty of it and used it well - hate to be a party pooper but at times it was on the back of running forward of the contest when Oliver was extracting the pill for him. There was a period in the game where that gamble wasn't working and his direct opponent (Bont) was carving it up.

Some of the best GF performances didn't even get Norm Smith. Scarlett in 2007 almost the perfect game - got plenty of ball, used it well, opponent had absolutely no impact at all.

As good an individual performance as you'll see.
Was excellent all game- yet from near the end of the second q he was phenomenal- power, speed and skill. Hi blind turns, clean ballhandling, decision making, finishing was insane. Went full beast mode and no Dog could get near him. Brayshaw and Viney roles in turn around underrated.

meh not as good as Jack Graham in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Back