List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
Would GWS be more inclined to trade down this year than risk taking a punt on North rising. Would Hawks pick 5 and a very early second for pick 5 be a better offer than Norths offer ? (pick 5 and 20 (as it stands) for pick 2 ? If you like Gibcus he'd still be there for you to take.
GWS would have to be drunk to take Norths offer in my view. With a good run with injuries they'll push for the top 8 if a few teams slide.
Pick 5 and an early second? Yeah nah.
Needs two top 10 picks

I just don't think the way our list is currently positioned it needs more young guys. There's already quite a gew guys that are sitting on the fringes of the team unable to get a game I don't think we need to trade back and accumulate more picks just to have even more young guys that potentially might leave because they can't get a game. Of course if there's a great deal on the table to trade back then it shouldn't be ignored but I'd much rather just take our picks to draft night.

Would GWS be more inclined to trade down this year than risk taking a punt on North rising. Would Hawks pick 5 and a very early second for pick 5 be a better offer than Norths offer ? (pick 5 and 20 (as it stands) for pick 2 ? If you like Gibcus he'd still be there for you to take.
GWS would have to be drunk to take Norths offer in my view. With a good run with injuries they'll push for the top 8 if a few teams slide.
Doubtful, the best example of a Pick 2 being traded in the past is when we moved from Pick 3 to Pick 2 in 2016, that took Pick 3 and Pick 15 with a punch of points picks coming back, so for Pick 2 alone which is what the deal would be it'd have to be a better deal than even that. No club will present a deal with enough value unless they're super confident of a rise up the ladder like Melbourne were in 2019/2020

I just don't think the way our list is currently positioned it needs more young guys. There's already quite a few guys that are sitting on the fringes of the team unable to get a game I don't think we need to trade back and accumulate more picks just to have even more young guys that potentially might leave because they can't get a game. Of course if there's a great deal on the table to trade back then it shouldn't be ignored but I'd much rather just take our picks to draft night.
I agree, but ...

While we've got a good list, we're always looking for the right piece(s) that will unlock a premiership. Be that a key forward to kick enough goals, a key back to shore up the defence, or a midfielder who fills the niche that we currently don't have and need.

Arguably, we don't need another midfielder, so getting Finn Callaghan isn't necessarily a good move. Just adds to the midfield clog etc. But we would see that he does add value - someone who could be like Josh Kelly, both gets the ball and can zip out of the contest, adding to our running game.

We do need to be thinking about another KPD to replace Phil Davis long-term. I like what Keeffe brought to the team this year, but he's older than Phil. Jack Buckley was great too, Stein filled in OK. But do we rely on Taylor & Buckley when Phil & Keeffe retire, with Stein as backup? I shouldn't think so. Arguably, we need to think about another small/medium forward too. Lloyd has limited time left himself, and Toby is also edging towards 30. Binga & Bobby don't kick enough goals, and then we're out of the small/medium forwards and into the ''fill-ins'' such as Bruhn, Taranto, Stone. (Maybe Stone is a more full-time medium forward, but we're still light on in that role regardless.)

Given that taking any of Bazzo, Alleer, JVR, Schlensog with #13 seems too early, the opportunity is there to get more value from that pick, and the list holes (presumably 4 slots, 3 of which need to be ND draftees) allows that. Or simply to pay for Fahey without taking any debt into next year.

So, I agree with your premise, but the list management team will always be calculating what's the best total outcome with forward planning over several years in their mind.

Doubtful, the best example of a Pick 2 being traded in the past is when we moved from Pick 3 to Pick 2 in 2016, that took Pick 3 and Pick 15 with a punch of points picks coming back, so for Pick 2 alone which is what the deal would be it'd have to be a better deal than even that. No club will present a deal with enough value unless they're super confident of a rise up the ladder like Melbourne were in 2019/2020
Yeh that's a fair call.
I would say pick two would only be available if a player GWS liked and was agreeable to a move was offered in conjunction with a pick. A high pick and a promising key forward might be more enticing. Callaghan looks great but geez your midfield is stacked already.

Yeh that's a fair call.
I would say pick two would only be available if a player GWS liked and was agreeable to a move was offered in conjunction with a pick. A high pick and a promising key forward might be more enticing. Callaghan looks great but geez your midfield is stacked already.
Our stacked midfield is mostly contested ball winners with poor kicking skills and zero to no speed/ acceleration, Callaghan is the exact sort of midfielder we need to add if any

I agree, but ...

While we've got a good list, we're always looking for the right piece(s) that will unlock a premiership. Be that a key forward to kick enough goals, a key back to shore up the defence, or a midfielder who fills the niche that we currently don't have and need.

Arguably, we don't need another midfielder, so getting Finn Callaghan isn't necessarily a good move. Just adds to the midfield clog etc. But we would see that he does add value - someone who could be like Josh Kelly, both gets the ball and can zip out of the contest, adding to our running game.

We do need to be thinking about another KPD to replace Phil Davis long-term. I like what Keeffe brought to the team this year, but he's older than Phil. Jack Buckley was great too, Stein filled in OK. But do we rely on Taylor & Buckley when Phil & Keeffe retire, with Stein as backup? I shouldn't think so. Arguably, we need to think about another small/medium forward too. Lloyd has limited time left himself, and Toby is also edging towards 30. Binga & Bobby don't kick enough goals, and then we're out of the small/medium forwards and into the ''fill-ins'' such as Bruhn, Taranto, Stone. (Maybe Stone is a more full-time medium forward, but we're still light on in that role regardless.)

Given that taking any of Bazzo, Alleer, JVR, Schlensog with #13 seems too early, the opportunity is there to get more value from that pick, and the list holes (presumably 4 slots, 3 of which need to be ND draftees) allows that. Or simply to pay for Fahey without taking any debt into next year.

So, I agree with your premise, but the list management team will always be calculating what's the best total outcome with forward planning over several years in their mind.
Some great points in there, think your'e right small forward is probably and underrated hole on this list at the moment not exactly a whole heap of production coming from that position especially if we see Daniels move towards a greater midfield role like we did this year. Would love to grab Rachele at 13 not sure he'll be there but he'd be at the top of my list for targets at that position.

Our stacked midfield is mostly contested ball winners with poor kicking skills and zero to no speed/ acceleration, Callaghan is the exact sort of midfielder we need to add if any
Make's Tanner's development so important as he has a bit more pace and burst compared to the other guys, while flashing some nice kicking.

Some great points in there, think your'e right small forward is probably and underrated hole on this list at the moment not exactly a whole heap of production coming from that position especially if we see Daniels move towards a greater midfield role like we did this year. Would love to grab Rachele at 13 not sure he'll be there but he'd be at the top of my list for targets at that position.
I'm not sure Rachele is the type of small forward we should be looking at given we've got Hill who already has offensive X-Factor, I'd want a more well rounded (nice way of saying defensively capable) small forward personally, if we're getting Rachele it should be with the view of him turning into a midfielder.

I'm not sure Rachele is the type of small forward we should be looking at given we've got Hill who already has offensive X-Factor, I'd want a more well rounded (nice way of saying defensively capable) small forward personally, if we're getting Rachele it should be with the view of him turning into a midfielder.
Probably best to look elsewhere then for small forwards.

You've been cool on Rachele the whole year, and from some of your description (and others' too) I can understand why and agree. I guess what draws me towards him would be the description of him as one of the best kicks in the draft class ... that we could use. The downside is the lack of defensive ... desire? nous? While I don't think he'd be there at #13, the knocks on him if he were there, plus our priorities, would be why I'd be happy enough to split #13 for two picks in the 20s if we could swing it.

Who's your thought as an alternative small/medium forward? Mine would be Judson Clarke, as a more rounded goal-kicker with defensive capabilities. That would be my goal if we could split say pick #13 into two picks in the 20s, and had the good fortune not to have Fahey bid on before then. A KPD in Bazzo/Alleer plus Judson Clarke (on top of Finn Callaghan, and with Fahey also) would seem to tick a few boxes for me. (I'd consider foregoing Fahey too, in favour of a KPD plus Clarke, in terms of need, if it looked that such a move would work for us.)

Mid-long term looking at something like :

Defence: Taylor Bazzo/Alleer Idun Haynes Cumming Ash Perryman + Emerg: Fahey, Buckley

Mids: Briggs/Preuss Coniglio Kelly Taranto Callaghan Whitfield Hopper Green + Emerg: Bruhn, XOH

Fowards: Hogan HH Flynn Greene Daniels Hill Clarke + Emerg: Riccardi, Stone

You've been cool on Rachele the whole year, and from some of your description (and others' too) I can understand why and agree. I guess what draws me towards him would be the description of him as one of the best kicks in the draft class ... that we could use. The downside is the lack of defensive ... desire? nous? While I don't think he'd be there at #13, the knocks on him if he were there, plus our priorities, would be why I'd be happy enough to split #13 for two picks in the 20s if we could swing it.

Who's your thought as an alternative small/medium forward? Mine would be Judson Clarke, as a more rounded goal-kicker with defensive capabilities. That would be my goal if we could split say pick #13 into two picks in the 20s, and had the good fortune not to have Fahey bid on before then. A KPD in Bazzo/Alleer plus Judson Clarke (on top of Finn Callaghan, and with Fahey also) would seem to tick a few boxes for me. (I'd consider foregoing Fahey too, in favour of a KPD plus Clarke, in terms of need, if it looked that such a move would work for us.)

Mid-long term looking at something like :

Defence: Taylor Bazzo/Alleer Idun Haynes Cumming Ash Perryman + Emerg: Fahey, Buckley

Mids: Briggs/Preuss Coniglio Kelly Taranto Callaghan Whitfield Hopper Green + Emerg: Bruhn, XOH

Fowards: Hogan HH Flynn Greene Daniels Hill Clarke + Emerg: Riccardi, Stone
Yeah I'm pretty pessimistic in most cases if workrate/ attitude/ defensive application has some inconsistencies, but for his positives Rachele is one of the best options in the draft, his offensive game doesn't need much development from here imo so he could well be an early debutant next year as well. He's definitely a good kick, I've seen him hit some ridiculous pinpoint kicks off a step this year. Again I wouldn't hate us taking him because I know our recruiting team is probably the best in the league currently, so if they pick him they're confident his deficiencies can be covered or improved, and the offensive stuff is admittedly very attractive.

As another option in the draft, Clarke would definitely be one I'd look at, he's more a midfielder at the moment so might take some time to truly fit in to the role, athletically he's on the same level as Rachele, but isn't quite as clean with his ball use, so it's sacrificing the piercing kicking for some more defensive application (put simply at least). Jesse Motlop is a curious one from WA as well, genuinely fearless in his approach to front and centres/ groundballs/ tackles, if he was available around 30 I'd trade in to try and get him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I'm pretty pessimistic in most cases if workrate/ attitude/ defensive application has some inconsistencies, but for his positives Rachele is one of the best options in the draft, his offensive game doesn't need much development from here imo so he could well be an early debutant next year as well. He's definitely a good kick, I've seen him hit some ridiculous pinpoint kicks off a step this year. Again I wouldn't hate us taking him because I know our recruiting team is probably the best in the league currently, so if they pick him they're confident his deficiencies can be covered or improved, and the offensive stuff is admittedly very attractive.

As another option in the draft, Clarke would definitely be one I'd look at, he's more a midfielder at the moment so might take some time to truly fit in to the role, athletically he's on the same level as Rachele, but isn't quite as clean with his ball use, so it's sacrificing the piercing kicking for some more defensive application (put simply at least). Jesse Motlop is a curious one from WA as well, genuinely fearless in his approach to front and centres/ groundballs/ tackles, if he was available around 30 I'd trade in to try and get him.
Would you take Callaghan at 2 Bangers?

Would you take Callaghan at 2 Bangers?
Yeah it's pretty straight forward now, rewatching the Sandringham v Dandenong game (available on the NAB League app btw) really reaffirmed how good he is for me, not that it was ever a doubt of him being bad but it's clear now that regardless of need he's far enough ahead of Gibcus to be a clear best available.

Yeah it's pretty straight forward now, rewatching the Sandringham v Dandenong game (available on the NAB League app btw) really reaffirmed how good he is for me, not that it was ever a doubt of him being bad but it's clear now that regardless of need he's far enough ahead of Gibcus to be a clear best available.
Do you reckon Adrian Caruso will agree?

Do you view Daicos, Darcy, JHF and Callghan as a top 4 in one tier or is it the top 3 plus Callaghan a step below (while still being an elite prospect).

Do you reckon Adrian Caruso will agree?
From a purely on field perspective I'd think so, they're both special players undoubtedly but I think there's more athletic KPD's coming through like Bazzo (not as athletic but better foot skills), Aller (similar athleticism but worse foot skills) this year, and I like the look of Busslinger for next year, than there is guys that move like Callaghan does, with his athleticism and foot skills

Do you view Daicos, Darcy, JHF and Callghan as a top 4 in one tier or is it the top 3 plus Callaghan a step below (while still being an elite prospect).
JHF and Daicos are both above Darcy and Callaghan, although I think if the Victorian season continued Callaghan would've joined the two others as a step above and Darcy would be between that top tier and the next 8 or so

Thoughts on the rumours that North are trying to get pick 2 for our 2022 first and pick 20 this year?
I think GWS should reject this deal as even if it seems reasonable, the talent North will have acquired will make them a destination club ( if at first you don't succeed, try and try again) for free agents, expect them to make a big push for Hopper as a free agent for 2024.

Last edited:
JHF and Daicos are both above Darcy and Callaghan, although I think if the Victorian season continued Callaghan would've joined the two others as a step above and Darcy would be between that top tier and the next 8 or so
Wow, interesting. Absolutely love his movement skills and his ability to evade defenders looks really special.

It’s not fair at all, it’s fricken daft.

We have Pick 2 now, it’s definite. North could easily rise next year, they have a good coach and some good young talent. Why give up a definite Pick 2 for a possible Pick 1-6 and a Pick 23??

No thanks.
Next years draft is a better one for gws to have a high pick in, more top end key forwards which I think gws desperately needs, but you could do better than pick 20 and a future 1st for pick 2 lol. And there’s other ways to get into next years draft as well.

Next years draft is a better one for gws to have a high pick in, more top end key forwards which I think gws desperately needs, but you could do better than pick 20 and a future 1st for pick 2 lol. And there’s other ways to get into next years draft as well.
Wouldn't say we're desperate in any one area on our list, KPF is probably a spot that should be improved but I wouldn't say it's desperate as of now. If next years class is as deep at KPF as most people say then it won't be super important to get a top pick as there'll be more options avaliable. If we roll out again with the same forwards we did this year minus Finlayson I think we'll be perfectly fine, not an elite unit but good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back