Best 30 minutes of football ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

They were never really one or two goals from sealing premiership. They needed 5 or more goals to feel like that would be the case. Was only half way through third quarter.
Of course, but the way the game looked at that point, The Dogs were getting ahead and have of they got to a +30 lead, I think the swing of the game looked like they could of run away with it. That's why the sudden shift was so unexpected.

As clinical a destruction as I've ever seen. Dogs would have been shell-shocked and then went from an attacking to defensive mindset and game over. They
I love how Caleb Daniel comes off his man to try to stop the midfield running in centre square but by doing that he allowed Sparrow to be on his own and the handball went to Sparrow and goal!! Next centre bounce clearance, Caleb was too scared to leave his man and watched as Oliver did not need to handball this time and kicked goal himself.. That second guessing and shell-shock was beautiful to see unfold.

It was a joy to watch. Some floggings, at least to the eye, can be attributed to the opposition playing dreadfully rather than the winning team playing well. Port against the Dogs in the Prelim comes to mind. But that section of play where the Demons mids absolutely dominated, serving it on a platter to the forwards time after time, was the best centre clearance work you could ever dream of. As close to perfect footy as possible, and on the biggest stage them all it makes it all the more special.

Last edited:

As a Melbourne fan watching it unfold was just...unbelievable. Especially after seeing how good the Doggies had been in the 2nd and halfway through the 3rd. During that time the Bont looked so dangerous when he had the ball.

As much as Petracca was dominant it was Really Jackson who was the catalyst in the middle, he was at getting on top in the ruck but also playing as a 4th midfielder in the middle.

I don't think I'll ever see Melbourne play as well as that again.

I did think Hawthorn's 30 minutes from half through the 1st to half way through the 2nd of 14 GF was pretty special which was 9.6 to 1.1

This topped that. It had those quick bursts of goals out of the middle that were unbelievable. In a minute it went from a great Grand Final to nearly over

I've been saying all year to win a GF, a team needs to be able to kick 90 - 100 points.

Dees still couldn't get to that in the grannie 👍

We couldn't? We did it in a quarter and a half!

Up until now been too happy for Demon fans to even contemplate how Doggy fans are taking it.
To be up by 19 points half way through third quarter of grand final and losing by over 12 goals would take some getting over.
You got two things to get over. Not only the feeling you had grasp of a grand final and at least one hand on premiership cup and then to lose it.
But then to just be put away in such devastating fashion must make your head spin and hard to process how it happened and then deal with how you made to look like witches hats on biggest game of the year.
* going through that...
Will take forever to get over, if ever.

- a ruck contest on centre wing when it was 40-59, Viney and Bailey Smith both fumbled/overran the ball and it basically fell in Harmes hands - who delivered it perfectly to Fritsch. That was an incredibly important goal to as another to the Dogs (crazy as it sounds now) might have given them an unassailable lead. But Melb had some luck there.
It feels like the Demons were a goal away from losing a match they won by 12 goals.

Can't remember seeing a 40 minutes of play, in a big game, in such stark contrast to the rest of it.

Has to be close. I was in utter disbelief that the second best team could be so comprehensively smashed for such a prolonged period.

Scary that this list has not yet peaked, they have at least 2-3 years coming up where grand finals should be the minimum expectation.
[/QUOTA
And has the second youngest group playing AFL.

Up until now been too happy for Demon fans to even contemplate how Doggy fans are taking it.
To be up by 19 points half way through third quarter of grand final and losing by over 12 goals would take some getting over.
You got two things to get over. Not only the feeling you had grasp of a grand final and at least one hand on premiership cup and then to lose it.
But then to just be put away in such devastating fashion must make your head spin and hard to process how it happened and then deal with how you made to look like witches hats on biggest game of the year.
fu** going through that...
Will take forever to get over, if ever.
I don't know whether I've already gotten over it yet or haven't accepted yet that it happened.

I haven't felt sad or angry about it at all to this point. I'm anxiously waiting for the anxiety which is a bizarre feeling in and of itself.

I don't know whether I've already gotten over it yet or haven't accepted yet that it happened.

I haven't felt sad or angry about it at all to this point. I'm anxiously waiting for the anxiety which is a bizarre feeling in and of itself.
Good luck. Cannot see how you would possibly gotten over it. Only way that could happen if not emotionally invested to begin with so nothing to get over anyway if someone was like that.
But assume you are invested so will hit you at some stage but so far happened so quick, maybe not sank in just yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2017 grand final only really started hurting when I realised our premiership window had closed. Your club did extremely well to make this grand final. Can't imagine having that 30 minutes happen to my club.

I think it will be remebered for the Doggies hitting the wall after crisscrossing the country.

ecstasy for Melb fans, disappointing for neutrals to see the game blow out to a non-contest.

I'm a neutral and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was watching and thinking the Dees looked just about shot and totally bereft of ideas, next minute bang.

There's something about watching a great team playing beautiful football, particularly in a gf which is supposedly the best 2 teams. If Port made it, it would have been disappointing, they would have been beaten by more, imo.

It's different when the top team is giving the bottom team a flogging, this is the top two teams, enjoy it for what it is, perfection. Like 2007, forget the margin and just watch the team play, really watch them.

07 was better

Almost perfection from start to finish, everything they did pretty much worked, from blind slap outs while lying on the ground in the defensive goal square to a running team mate for a length of the ground goal, to blind handballs to a space you knew a team mate was going to run into because you're just that well drilled and skilled.

I could watch footy like that and Melbourne's last quarter and a half all day.

the fact the dees backed up their prelim rampage with another rampage in the GF makes Chris Scott's comments around his playing group being "sick" look pretty sour. I think Chris was in denial as to just how much better the Dees were than his mob

Which has me mulling, how do coaches counter this in 2022? Surely if the Dees get a quick center clearance goal in a game next year, there has got to be more defensive minded tactics to stifle such play & give your defenders time to set-up with a slower entrance inside 50

the fact the dees backed up their prelim rampage with another rampage in the GF makes Chris Scott's comments around his playing group being "sick" look pretty sour. I think Chris was in denial as to just how much better the Dees were than his mob

Which has me mulling, how do coaches counter this in 2022? Surely if the Dees get a quick center clearance goal in a game next year, there has got to be more defensive minded tactics to stifle such play & give your defenders time to set-up with a slower entrance inside 50
This.

Just like Choco in 2007, Beveridge basically refused to go defensive in the face of a dominant opposition, and paid the price.
Stoppage after stoppage, no one on the defensive side. Just backed that midfield and got toasted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back