Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

And it has been spoken about all year that we overpaid for Saad... Who had also been in the All Australian squad and had multiple top 3 BNF.. Cerra has done nothing so far to suggest he is even close to that level.
Umm, no he hasn't, in a spot with far less competition, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

Adam Cerra would walk into Carlton's top 5 players this year, ahead of Saad. And Carlton didn't overpay for Saad. Cerra is simply worth more than him, as the vast majority of people would tell you

Agreed he’s worth 6 and something else but let’s not kid ourselves, 2017 draft was woeful. I know some players in the 20s are decent but the top 10 that year compared to other seasons is pretty subpar
It's a deep draft with a strong second round and quality out all the way to pick 50 or so, but the midfield top 7 are just taking their time to come on.

Stephenson went from star to scrap heap to quality player - he was great this year. LDU is slowly building through his gears, he's a big V8. Clark's 2020 was special then he took a step back through injury. Rayner's copped a knee injury. Freo are upset about losing Cerra for a reason and it's not just potential, he's put together some serious games. And Brayshaw is already a star and future captain.

If Brayshaw is the Sam Walsh and Stephenson's more like a bizzaro Bailey Smith there's not that much between the 17 and 18 (2 King's rather than 1 Naughton) and it's got '16 covered for depth of top end talent.

I think it's more reasonable to ask where would Cerra go in this draft to get a sense of value and I think he'd go pick 4, maybe pick 5 at worst.

Adam Saad got pick 8. Cerra is a better and younger player than Saad, so how is 14 and pick 30-ish better than pick 8?
The points*

*Any points discussion on trades should actually be banned as points never match the reality of what a draft pick is worth

And it has been spoken about all year that we overpaid for Saad... Who had also been in the All Australian squad and had multiple top 3 BNF.. Cerra has done nothing so far to suggest he is even close to that level.
What? He finished Top 3 in F&B last year in his 3rd year and will probably finish Top 5 this year (Haven’t had Doug Medal yet).

Go to another club. Cerra picked the Blues due to your ability to do the deal. Another club will get in his ear and offer us a better deal. Game over.

Find me another Melborune club that is going to give up a better deal than 14 & a future 2nd.

Pies first pick is 34
Bombers have pick 11, but think it would be unlikely they get involved.
Geelong's first pick is 32
Hawks have 5 & 21 - Hawks will take pick 5 to the draft, they could already have entered discussions if they were interested..
North - have pick 1.. and next pick is 20.
Tigers - have 7 & 16 but dont have the salary cap room for Cerra
Saints - Pick 9.. Maybe but doubtful... Would have flagged interest already..
Dogs - Pick 15, already a stacked midfield and no salary cap space..

So really it is out of Carlton or St Kilda..

A trade that has been remarked upon as one of the worst of all time. Great call.

Adam Saad got pick 8. Cerra is a better and younger player than Saad, so how is 14 and pick 30-ish better than pick 8?
Saad trade is the worst trade since we got Gov.
Carlton shot themselves in the foot, does not mean we should shoot our
other foot just to be consistent.

The guy's gonna finish 4th in your BnF. He's a gun small defender, and Cerra's a better player than him. Just because we got similar if a little inferior value from Nick Hind this year doesn't mean it was a bad trade.

Cerra is worth pick 6 and a second round pick. If you split pick 6 to two later first round picks you're trading those.

Find me another Melborune club that is going to give up a better deal than 14 & a future 2nd.

Pies first pick is 34
Bombers have pick 11, but think it would be unlikely they get involved.
Geelong's first pick is 32
Hawks have 5 & 21 - Hawks will take pick 5 to the draft, they could already have entered discussions if they were interested..
North - have pick 1.. and next pick is 20.
Tigers - have 7 & 16 but dont have the salary cap room for Cerra
Saints - Pick 9.. Maybe but doubtful... Would have flagged interest already..
Dogs - Pick 15, already a stacked midfield and no salary cap space..

So really it is out of Carlton or St Kilda..
If you downgrade picks it might see Freo get less but other clubs will get more interested
Future 1st from Melbourne and 33, 42 isn't much worse than what you are offering. You would think they could add some more to it to get it over the line.

Spot on, we declared our interest too early and then let Dodo back us into a corner.. was amateur hour by Nick Austin. Doubt this is allowed to happen again.

If you downgrade picks it might see Freo get less but other clubs will get more interesting
Future 1st from Melbourne and 33, 42 isn't much worse than what you are offering. You would think they could add some more to it to get it over the line.
Pick 11 and our future second is basically a better version of the same deal.

I'd let him go to North via the PSD rather than deal with these trash picks.

What a horrible understanding of how trades work. In no world do Carlton split pick 6 and get Cerra.
So you would be happy with pick 6 to Freo for Cerra and 27(trash pick).

I'm guessing there are posters in this thread who have never followed a trade period before.

To those, it's pretty exciting! Especially when you get a good player nominates your club.

Maybe hold off on posting your opinions until you've got the lay of the land though.

There's some absolute garbage on here and some posters are going to be a bit embarrassed after this one goes through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you downgrade picks it might see Freo get less but other clubs will get more interested

Its a long way worse considering Dees just won a flag and have to assume he future 1st is at that level.

So many clubs could go better. Richmond could go 26, 28 and future 1st
St Kilda could go pick 9 with a future 2nd
I'm hesitant to trade our future 1st but 11 plus our future first with a future second coming back to help for Davey twin points would be immediately accepted.

So many clubs could go better. Richmond could go 26, 28 and future 1st
St Kilda could go pick 9 with a future 2nd

Richmond dont have the salary cap space and the saints have shown little interest so far, additionally the player also has to want to go to that club.

Richmond dont have the salary cap space and the saints have shown little interest so far, additionally the player also has to want to go to that club.
Clubs aren't showing that much interest because they are expecting a high price to be paid. If that price comes down due to Carlton downgrading their picks then other clubs will come for him

Clubs aren't showing that much interest because they are expecting a high price to be paid. If that price comes down due to Carlton downgrading their picks then other clubs will come for him

So you are admitting pick 6 is a high price.. I will legit be filthy if we overpay again, especially when it is obvious there is no need to.

Cerra for pick 6 done
he is a bloody good player and at his age should get better
i would be more than happy if Essendon used pick 11 on him
i suspect we are saving salary cap space for a big fish in 2022 especially when we get hurleys contract off our books

So you are admitting pick 6 is a high price.. I will legit be filthy if we overpay again, especially when it is obvious there is no need to.
No, pick 6 isn't a high price. If it was just going to be pick 5 i think Hawthorn would be all over him. It is the next pick on top of that is what is turning teams off. If Carlton downgrade their picks there will be clubs hoping that 1 good pick will now do it

No, pick 6 isn't a high price. If it was just going to be pick 5 i think Hawthorn would be all over him. It is the next pick on top of that is what is turning teams off. If Carlton downgrade their picks there will be clubs hoping that 1 good pick will now do it

another pick... for a player that polled 1 brownlow vote.. I dont watch all Freo games but WTF am i missing here.

Most of this deal will have already been completed behind closed doors. Pick 6 is the cornerstone. Freo well within their rights to expect more as they already spent pick 5 on the player, developed him well for 4 years, wanted to keep him and had a good contract on the table for him. 6 and 25 is pretty straightforward although it'll probably get dragged out until the last day.

With two Vic clubs playing off in the GF and in WA (and trade week hasn't started) I wouldn't expect any request(s) to be made public until the Cerra camp have spoken to all clubs they want to speak to.

I'm sure plenty of teams have an interest but cap space and trade assets are another matter. Cerra might want to join the Dees but Freo aren't going to facilitate a trade around pick 33.

Back