Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

another pick... for a player that polled 1 brownlow vote.. I dont watch all Freo games but WTF am i missing here.
We’ll that explains a lot.
You’re going to get excited then with Cerra getting the ball from Walsh, and delivery to McKay on the tit then.
Kid is class, and not many players have a 30+ and 2g game in a losing side either.

The price is pick 6, because that’s where he’s been rated compared to this years draftees, and is a known, quality item. Durable, skilled and professional.
The extra you’ll pay is for the 4 years of development he’s had, that you don’t have to put in yourselves. (And let’s face it, Carlton’s track record in this area isn’t great)

You buy a bike, you pay $x, and have to assemble it yourself, and risk ******* it up. Or you pay a little bit extra, and have someone assemble it for you, and get straight to riding it home.

Spot on, we declared our interest too early and then let Dodo back us into a corner.. was amateur hour by Nick Austin. Doubt this is allowed to happen again.
You got Saad for a good deal. Can honestly say id rather have kept him. Top 4 in the BNF all 3 years he played for us. Overpaying at the trade table isnt an issue for Carlton, its the questionable development of players you pick yourself in the draft. SPS, Dow and LOB all taken with top 10 picks and you'd probably struggle to get a single pick within 40 now for any of them.

another pick... for a player that polled 1 brownlow vote.. I dont watch all Freo games but WTF am i missing here.

3 Brownlow votes!

Cerra is Freo's third best young mid behind Serong and Brayshaw, and 5th best mid behind Fyfe (30), Mundy (47) and those two.

He's a good young player but people are getting carried away because he is the one wanting to leave. If Cerra was re-signing and Serong or Brayshaw were doing a Hill/Neale and asking for a trade under contract then we would be hearing about how valuable they are.

I think pick 5, 6 or 7 is reasonable (ie Haw/Carl/Rich) and if Freo get some steak knives on top of that good on them. Most of the time clubs want top 10 picks for players and suiting clubs only have something in the 10-20 bracket to play with as a starting point. If Melbourne still had their first round pick this year it would be interesting. Freo would be reasonable to not engage Melbourne until they had a decent pick to deal. It's no one's fault but picks in the 30s and 40s aren't enough.

Whether people rate Cerra as the second coming or just some guy if clubs are genuinely offering him $750k a year for 4 or 5 years then there is some expectation that the trade price will be high. He isn't a free agent but if a club wants to try and buy him via the PSD for even more than that that is their prerogative.

Go to another club. Cerra picked the Blues due to your ability to do the deal. Another club will get in his ear and offer us a better deal. Game over.
So confident, he is a good young player. But only just average by AFL standards. I'm happy with puck six, but it freo want more than that, they can hope for a better deal elsewhere. You won't get it.

We’ll that explains a lot.
You’re going to get excited then with Cerra getting the ball from Walsh, and delivery to McKay on the tit then.
Kid is class, and not many players have a 30+ and 2g game in a losing side either.

The price is pick 6, because that’s where he’s been rated compared to this years draftees, and is a known, quality item. Durable, skilled and professional.
The extra you’ll pay is for the 4 years of development he’s had, that you don’t have to put in yourselves. (And let’s face it, Carlton’s track record in this area isn’t great)

You buy a bike, you pay $x, and have to assemble it yourself, and risk ******* it up. Or you pay a little bit extra, and have someone assemble it for you, and get straight to riding it home.
Freo got 4 years of games out of Cerra which fully offsets that "investment" in him.

Shouldn't Blues get something else back based on your bike analogy as the bike is now older (and has 4 years of depreciation?/ missed games that Blues do not get that they would get from a new draftee)

If Blues draft there is every chance they get a better player than Cerra at pick #6 (like Bailey Smith the following year at pick #7 or Caleb serong at#8 the following year, etc.).

Fact is Cerra is a solid player but no superstar - so more than pick #6 is crazy talk - and Freo have the option to draft better or trade for more which is a great result on a player that wants to leave and is no superstar.

So confident, he is a good young player. But only just average by AFL standards. I'm happy with puck six, but it freo want more than that, they can hope for a better deal elsewhere. You won't get it.
Doubtful. How many 21 year old mids have Cerras skillset? Capable of playing inside/outside, averaged about 23 disposals a game this year including the game where he was subbed off at qtr time injured and has one of the highest retention rate on his kicking inside 50. Look at all picks the blues have burnt over the last 10 years, Cerra would be a welcomed addition.

Freo got 4 years of games out of Cerra which fully offsets that "investment" in him.

Shouldn't Blues get something else back based on your bike analogy as the bike is now older (and has 4 years of depreciation?/ missed games that Blues do not get that they would get from a new draftee)

If Blues draft there is every chance they get a better player than Cerra at pick #6 (like Bailey Smith the following year at pick #7 or Caleb serong at#8 the following year, etc.).

Fact is Cerra is a solid player but no superstar - so more than pick #6 is crazy talk - and Freo have the option to draft better or trade for more which is a great result on a player that wants to leave and is no superstar.
Hes 21 ffs. Not every young midfielder is Sam Walsh.

You got Saad for a good deal. Can honestly say id rather have kept him. Top 4 in the BNF all 3 years he played for us. Overpaying at the trade table isnt an issue for Carlton, its the questionable development of players you pick yourself in the draft. SPS, Dow and LOB all taken with top 10 picks and you'd probably struggle to get a single pick within 40 now for any of them.
SPS, LOB and Dow all had better first years than Archie Perkins first year. So I can see why you are passed with your selection.

But why should Blues overpay for Cerra is the real question here

SPS, LOB and Dow all had better first years than Archie Perkins first year. So I can see why you are passed with your selection.

Just a question from your last couple of Posts. Do you even want Cerra? Dow, SPS and Lob dont even belong in the same sentence as Cerra. All 3 are crap at the moment.

SPS, yeah, sure. But the other two only if you're basing it on touches. Pretty much everything else is neck and neck with Perkins kicking more goals, goal assists and score involvements

And we're pretty happy with Perkins, but Reid, the guy we actually took, is a wait and see prospect

Just a question from your last couple of Posts. Do you even want Cerra? Dow, SPS and Lob dont even belong in the same sentence as Cerra. All 3 are crap at the moment.

To be honest, I'm not sure we need Cerra as much as others think we do especially given the mooted salary & trade price.

He plays off a wing which is a position we can cover, his disposal is very good and that would certainly be very beneficial to us but I'd like to think we also could get the same skill from an alternative player (trade, FA or draft).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest, I'm not sure we need Cerra as much as others think we do especially given the mooted salary & trade price.

He plays off a wing which is a position we can cover, his disposal is very good and that would certainly be very beneficial to us but I'd like to think we also could get the same skill from an alternative player (trade, FA or draft).

Not from this year's draft or out of contract/delisted Free Agents we are not.

Very slim pickings there.
For where we are as a footy club, draft picks are overrated, we get a solid 10 years or so from Cerra, who is a great kick and is very durable and handy around stoppages.

Cerra isn't a wing. Are you thinking of Acres?

I am a yes for Cerra for pick #6.
I am a no for Cerra for pick #6 and another good pick.
CFC needs to go to the draft as we have a few holes so Cerra is no messiah based on our current position.

Who's so confident? Only average? If Cerra is average then what do you call the Carlton list after your top half dozen? Good grief.

He just got voted into the Best 22 under 22 and according to the AFL player rankings was higher ranked this year than players like Jack Graham, Tim Taranto, Jager O'Meara and Jack Viney.

He'll be top 5 in our B&F again this year as well.

Last edited:
I'll be very happy when Cerra to Carlton is confirmed. A quality, young mid to step straight into the side with the potential to develop into a top-liner at the expense of a high pick in a comprised draft. Pick 6 will definitely be involved but I think it's highly unlikely 25 is included. I'm sure that will be off the table and we will take that to the draft. Steak knives may be involved but Cerra is out of contract and while Freo may want more there isn't a lot of options as they aren't knocking back 6. A sweetener may be included and if so, I assume it will be a future pick (3rd round?) or more likely a swap of later future picks.

Freo fans will feel he's worth more but after a few weeks of haggling the deal will get done.

Carlton supporters should ask their Head Of Football Brad Lloyd how good Cerra is. . . . . he’s the one that drafted him to Freo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlton supporters so desperate to extract every ounce of value here. Lucky Brian Cook is smarter than that. Good clubs are happy to overpay a bit if it leads to getting their man early and creating a good relationship with list managers and player managers.

Would imagine it looks like this:

Cerra and Freo's 2022 4th
<----> Pick 6 and Carlton's 2022 2nd

Back