The MCG should always host the Grand Final post pandemic.

Remove this Banner Ad

The World Cup is rotated around. You'll say "arbitrarily" is proof I don't understand your point. I'll say appointing hosts based on who has the biggest money bags is pretty arbitrary.
try reading the whole thing and then answer me, has the world cup (in any of rugby, soccer, cricket) or the olympics ever been held in a place where the host nation didnt get to play?

try reading the whole thing and then answer me, has the world cup (in any of rugby, soccer, cricket) or the olympics ever been held in a place where the host nation didnt get to play?
What are you talking about? Perth hosted plenty of football games with WA teams this year. The grand final was between two Vic clubs just like the last World Cup grand final wasn’t contested by Russia. Still pulled a crowd though.

The Gabba is too small and doesn't have much atmosphere. Sydney doesn't care about AFL.
Nah. Won't even touch your comment about Sydney, but the Gabba certainly does have plenty of atmosphere in the right circumstances. The last day of the Gabba Test this year was attended by 10k people tops, and it was the best atmosphere I have experienced at any sporting event ever.

After waiting a few days for it all to settle down, there is absolutely no doubt it must return to the MCG in 2022 and for next 40 years at least...Melbourne might be a dying city, but unless we want to see it dead & buried then the game must be played at the home of Football. If not, then Victoria cannot justify having 10 teams in one city? Now, who's going to tell which clubs are out on their ear?

After waiting a few days for it all to settle down, there is absolutely no doubt it must return to the MCG in 2022 and for next 40 years at least...Melbourne might be a dying city, but unless we want to see it dead & buried then the game must be played at the home of Football. If not, then Victoria cannot justify having 10 teams in one city? Now, who's going to tell which clubs are out on their ear?
Lol if certain Victorian clubs can't exist without the Grand Final being in Melbourne every year, maybe they shouldn't exist anyway. :shrug:

The MCG is cavernous dump. Optus should be every third year from now.
After reading about how people bang on about it, when I went to the first game I ever attended at the G between Geelong and Hawthorn, I was... underwhelmed, to say the least. Great stadium and experience, but I've had equally good, if not better, experiences at the Gabba.

Troll?

Certainly nonsensical at best.

The game at Perth was a fine spectacle, well worth the AFL Grand final. Any neutral person watching would have seen that as a fantastic event in a brilliant sporting stadium.

If Melbourne's ego is that thin, then see a psychologist.

The MCG is a fine stadium. It has lots of history but its not the be all & end all of stadiums anymore. The sheer numbers argument is not the be all & end all any more. Its the TV spectacle which really counts these days.

The clubs are all supported. Thats the main point of having the AFL, to wrap the smaller suburban clubs up in a financial blanket provided by media television rights. If they could survive in their own right, we'd still have the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The world cup set extreme restrictions on where it can be held. All of which would eliminate Perth as a suitable location.
And only 8/21 World Cup finals have been played at venues with capacity of 80000+. Doesn't seem to dampen the atmosphere.

I will. Gladly.

Millions of people watch the AFl Grand Final. A hundred thousand can go to a game at the MCG, and how many of them actually fans? Its such a small percentage when compared to the overall viewership. The amount of seats should not be an excuse. The look of the stadium yes. There is zero reason why it can't be elsewhere.

Born and bred Sandgroper here, went to the game last week, it truly rivaled any of the three G grand finals I’ve been to. That being said I’m still a traditionalist and love the G. I’d be open to an idea of 7/3 system, where the game is played at its traditional time at the G seven times a decade, one in Perth, one in Adelaide (if they increased cap to 60k and ditched the grassy knoll, and 1 at the Gabba/Sydney rotating every second decade. These interstate GF’s can alternate start times (twilight/night) and we still get the G being the traditional home of footy.

would also be really interesting watching how interstate teams plan that particular year they host the final also, could see the Eagles going all in for FA or trades knowing they could host a home final.

And only 8/21 World Cup finals have been played at venues with capacity of 80000+. Doesn't seem to dampen the atmosphere.
My point was that using The Fifa World cup or Olympics or Superbowl as some sort of example for why sharing the game misses a crucial part of what goes into the decision making process. They all put value on ease of access, Attendance, accomodation - all of which are barriers to hosting the Grand final anywher but the MCG.

The best option for the game itself within the current constraints of the short-sighted contract is a bidding system. The AFL can put caveats on the system to leverage maximum value (e.g. 70,000 capacity / a city can't host consecutive years).

Also, this meet's the AFL's core priorities:

a) Make money (from prime-time timeslots)
b) Make money (from State Govts bidding for hosting rights)

PS This element of the deal always makes me laugh: Non-Victorian clubs will be offered more access to train on the MCG ahead of home and away games and finals

The best option for the game itself within the current constraints of the short-sighted contract is a bidding system. The AFL can put caveats on the system to leverage maximum value (e.g. 70,000 capacity / a city can't host consecutive years).

Also, this meet's the AFL's core priorities:

a) Make money (from prime-time timeslots)
b) Make money (from State Govts bidding for hosting rights)

PS This element of the deal always makes me laugh: Non-Victorian clubs will be offered more access to train on the MCG ahead of home and away games and finals

Not a bad idea. QLD gov paid 10 or so mill for the 2020 GF. The AFL could adjust the bidding price for inflation each year. It's not a bad workaround for the contract if, as you say, you have specific standards for crowds, infrastructure, playing surface, and stadium facilities.

More than half our members miss out on tickets in the ballot, and end up paying more than $500 if they want to go to an Eagles GF at the MCG anyway (without factoring in the ludicrous price of Flights to get over to Melbourne for that particular weekend).

Easy trade off.
tis fair. just wondering whether people were expecting ticket prices to remain the same and the afl to just take the 10+ million dollar hit. too often when people demand businesses do a thing they are also unwilling to pay the extra costs it would require.

tis fair. just wondering whether people were expecting ticket prices to remain the same and the afl to just take the 10+ million dollar hit. too often when people demand businesses do a thing they are also unwilling to pay the extra costs it would require.

Can't speak for other states, but 100% guarantee that W.A would pay extra on tickets for it to be here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back