Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
What options do we have for improving our draft hand?

Every player of note is contracted so presumably they’re hoping to bring forward some of next year’s picks.

Assuming you can take that statement at face value of course.
Yeah I got nothing. Dyson retired sometime ago, unless we can package Zaka and a 3rd?

I like MacPherson but he reminds me of another Brandon Matera type.

I think the suns will find their 3 list spots by trading Will Brodie for nothing. Rookie listing Jez Mclennan and Rory Thompson which no side would pick up

Do they need to get rid of another from maim list with Chol?

im invoking my "no trading Parish" position from last year - No Trading Francis...unless he asks for it.
I'm no fan of pushing people out the door either but with Francis it's largely irrelevant. He would have virtually no trade currency and it's not like we need a salary dump.

I love people thinking we could get pick 4 for Francis and pick 11. We are about as much chance of that as of getting Ben King to walk to us in the PSD - despite being contracted and GC having a PSD pick before us.

We got Wright for a 4th rounder and he's approximately a million times more useful than Francis.

It actually feels like he's having a crack at someone, but I can't work out who or what about.

Getting your difference makers at the top of the draft and supporting those selections with complementary bits and pieces around the fringes is hardly groundbreaking stuff.
Shiel situation is all I can maybe think of?

I guess the other angle is that we've been suggested as a destination for every random player who is or isn't contracted lately, especially over the last few days with Trade Radio trying to fill air time... is it a 'where there's smoke there's fire' or is it 'smoke and mirrors'?

Malcolm Rosas link
Trent Dumont link
Mabior Chol link
Ben Long link
Luke Dunstan link
Dylan Stephens link
Mitch Wallis link
Ben Cunnington link
Ben King link
Jake Kelly link
Josh Dunkley link
Mason Cox link

Even still talking about Shiel 🙄 link
This was my read on it. It might've also been some frustration about constantly being asked about it both publicly and privately too

Why would Brodie come to us if opportunities is all he is after?

Although it sounds like very little interest in Brodie and Constable so they might just be happy to wear different colours
No one really wanted him last year and he's out of contract next year, rolling the dice at a club that needs a big midfielder might be the best opportunity he gets

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like MacPherson. Does Brodie run the other way yet?
Macpherson would be ideal as. Perfect role player and would play a similar role to snelling. As much as I love snelling and macpherson, should we have more pressure forwards that kick goals, rather than snell who is more of a link up pressure forward, or would 2 of him be More beneficial?

I guess Melbourne have spargo and sparrow, with kozzie being the forward with more of a goalkicking responsibility, could work. Either way, if macpherson would come cheap, we should definitely take him.

Same goes with Brodie. Give him a 2 year deal. Truck and Cara will teach him how to run both ways. Simple as that. If he doesn't do that, he gets delisted, if he figures it out, we have a serious contested ball pig on our hands that would come cheap.

I'm no fan of pushing people out the door either but with Francis it's largely irrelevant. He would have virtually no trade currency and it's not like we need a salary dump.

I love people thinking we could get pick 4 for Francis and pick 11. We are about as much chance of that as of getting Ben King to walk to us in the PSD - despite being contracted and GC having a PSD pick before us.

We got Wright for a 4th rounder and he's approximately a million times more useful than Francis.
I like francis. I think our main issue is heppell is in his spot.
If he finds a spot forward im happy but id still like him as a loose defender with the ball in hand coming out of defence

Okay, so we're not getting King this year.
Cant see the suns trading him at all this year, as much as i'd love it. And I cant see us giving them a godfather offer, especially after what Mahoney said today.

What would even satisfy them? Would getting Brodie and MacPherson off their books help as a cash dump? We'd surely have to offer 2 first round picks, which would kill our list management strategy, and I don't know who we could trade who might have value, apart from Francis.

We could bundle up this years and 2022 F1, and then next year, trade our 2023 for 2022 FRP. Does anyone have any potential trades that might work?

How about this?

Francis to Adelaide for 37, 59, 63

37, 48, 53, 59 To WBD for 17. Gives them points for Darcy, and values the picks at pick 14.

So we have 11, 17 and 63. We know that they have a keen interest in Nick Bryan, they offered him a 4 year deal this year if I recall. We also know they are looking to get rid of Will Brodie, because he's taking up their salary and not playing any games.

Offer them 11 and F1
or
11, and Bryan
or
17, Bryan, F2

OR

37, 48, 59 to Collingwood for their F2 for Daicos bids. Values the picks at pick 20.

If collingwoods F2 is likely to be around ~22 and ours ~30, Bundle them up to Brisbane for 14 and their F2, because they need points for Ashcroft next year.

So we have 11, 14, 53.

14, F1 and 53

OR

11, Bryan and Brisbane F2, I THINK could get it done, without really compromising our draft hand.

Essentially, we'd be giving up our F2, Aaron Francis, Nick Bryan (who we have high hopes for, but have draper, so isn't a necessity to keep.) and a 3 pick downgrade. We get to keep our first round picks for this year and next, and also trade in our 2023 picks to get points for the Davey twins.

If King is valued at Pick 2, Bryans value is approximately 24, should Brisbane finish in the same place as last year.

Last edited:
I wonder why he never gets any serious interest from other clubs. I guess pure inside mids are becoming less and less popular.
Seems like teams are gravitating towards versatile mids to uncover the next Fyfe/Danger/Dusty/Petracca.

It's why guys like Brodie and Constable don't have any suitors.
I feel like we could find a spot on the list for a 191cm pure inside mid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back