Recommitted Rory Lobb [trade is off, staying at Fremantle]

Remove this Banner Ad

True but Tbf Geelong did choose to bring in Isaac Smith so clearly they saw outside run as a position of need and didn’t have confidence in the existing players to get the job done. Do you think Clark will be a very good fit for freo then and what is his potential?

Oh definitely, and Smith was just too good to turn down tbh. He was 500K a year and cost nothing in draft picks, and just finished 4th in our B+F in his first year at the club.

Clark was always just on the cusp, always in the emergencies, and even with our best team on the park, was chosen for the first half dozen games because we just wanted him in the team. Once he had his 'mare playing against Sydney in his preferred position down back, he was dropped and then couldn't force his way back in/past those aforementioned 3 players.

Honestly, I really have loved the kid since he was drafted (and even before). When we called his name out with Pick 15, I couldn't believe that we got such a steal and drafted the player we wanted, as he was projected by a lot of draft boards to go in the Top 10.

Once he started playing in the pre-season, and then the subsequent 17 games for the rest of the year, I was so excited and thought we had a generational talent on our hands. He then injured his shoulder, missed finals selection, and then took a while to get back the next year with multiple niggles from not being able to train as much as he would like. That combined with Scarlett's pigheadedness and refusal to back the kid in because...reasons, meant we didn't see much of him in 2020 - where others like Simpson went past him at vital times.

This year was a mess with COVID, as last year was, and while he definitely showed his love for the club/had dinner with Sel and his wife every week, I certainly think the whole Scarlett debacle knocked his confidence around a bit.

With that said, I think he could probably train harder, but being a kid with his lax persona, halfway across the country while we're going through a once in a lifetime crisis, is enough to affect anyone's football - let alone someone who has been barred from playing in their rightful position because the line coach is a stubborn prick.

I think with his head clear, and a license to run and provide offensive flair as a winger/rebounding half back, he'll offer those same exciting attack traits that we saw in 2019 in his first year. People forget, he won the GF sprint in 2019 - he's that quick.

One last thing, there's a lot who have said it's Clark's fault re: the whole Scarlett debacle, but I truly believe that was part of the reason why he was let go, once Hocking came back into the club. There was obviously a lot of tension around it, and Scarlo had far more say on team selection than any of us would like - as evidenced by Kolo being selected every week, and Scarlett making it no secret that he was one of his favourites (even though he should have been the 20-22nd player selected every week).

I also think that Clark has some responsibility in this, in that he probably didn't respond with a determined resolve, but rather, gave up a little and let others who were more hungry than him like Holmes and Close, go past him. I don't blame him completely for that though, as it's been a tough couple of years for all young kids away from home. I was pissed at the rumours of him already moving his stuff home, but now I just think we've already told him he can go home because a deal will get done, and the rest is just grandstanding - so I'm not so annoyed anymore.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but thought it might offer an insight into why some of us value him as we do, now that Scarlett is gone and there's a chance for him to be that player he was pre-draft/his debut year. You guys obviously see that same potential, which is why you've offered him 4 years and are prepared to give up a decent pick for him.

I reckon he'll be an absolute jet in the right environment, and I think clear air under a new coach who has a mantra of playing kids as part of a rebuild, is the perfect place for someone like the free-spirited person that Clark is - to let his natural footy ability shine through - without the constraints of being overly defensive in a more settled/rigorous defensive-minded outfit.

:)

What did Freo stump up for him in the trade a few years ago? He’s done nothing to increase his value since then and is 29.
Lobb is more valuable to the Dockers than the Giants.

Because of that their is a big gap between both parties.

I believe Bell and don’t think the deal will get done.

Last edited:

Do you know the answer to my question?

Stat wise his numbers are about the same. Less Hit outs at the Dockers but more goals and possessions.

The fact he is 2 years older should decease his value.

Structure wise Lobb is insurance if both Meek and Darcy get injured.

Giants F2 and Fremantle paying part of his wage isn’t something I would do.

What did Freo stump up for him in the trade a few years ago? He’s done nothing to increase his value since then and is 29.

Agree he hasn't gone up in value.

Except to the Dockers. He's probably a pick in the 30s without our horrible list management.

This should not be getting put through.

I’m sorry but your reasoning is not making much sense to me. You are suggesting Lobb wouldn’t get a game for Geelong by hypothesising him having to fit in to a forward line with Hawkins, Cameron and Taberner? Yet Taberner does not play for Geelong so thus u must believe there is someone in Geelongs forward line currently that is at the level of Taberner... which must be Rohan. The problem here is that Taberner is a much much better player than Gary ‘Rubdown’ Rohan. I apologise if Rohan is a far superior player as you probably only watch freo once or twice a year and likely have a different opinion. So lets remove Tabs from the conversation then. Given Cameron is a roaming forward and once played alongside Rory Lobb in a stacked GWS team I believe he would make the Geelong team where Ratugolea has played 15 games. Again apologies if I am wrong as your opinion is of much more validity than any man on this forum.

Clark on the other hand... well the past two seasons have made it clear. To make matters worse they essentially gave him the middle finger when Geelong decided to introduce more senior citizens to the ever growing retirement village down there.

I’m just having a geese at the prelim final team vs Melbourne and there is a couple of names here that I feel as though a ‘valuable’ and ‘required’ player should have gotten games over regardless if they play different positions or not since we are comparing Jordan Clark to Rory Lobb after all: Z Guthrie, E Ratugolea, J Kolodjashnij, T Atkins, L Henderson, J Bews, B Close and M Holmes. Would those players be traded for Pick 19???

Lastly, a quick little tip to get you up to date with Fremantle’s list as well is that we have two key forwards other than Lobb currently. Their names are Matt Taberner who you must be familiar with (as in you know his name but nothing about him as a player) and Josh Treacy a 19 year old. I just feel as though Jordan Clark is probably a little more expendable for Geelong, while Lobb is probably of more value to the Fremantle Football Club and would get a game anywhere in the AFL in a best 22. While your analogy made very little sense given that no club in the AFL has three quality taller forwards at this stage. Lastly you are implying that Fremantle fans are delusional for asking for top dollar for Lobb while baulking at Geelongs trade offer, which is fair enough to an extent. However Fremantle have been fairly generous in moving up the order to satisfy Geelong with a solid pick 22, which supposedly Geelong asked for... therefore we met there demand and were generous in negotiations. All we want is fair compensation for Lobb like Geelong wished for Clark and have less of an inclination to trade him than Geelong do with Clark given he is best 22 and one of a limited resource on the list. Lobb is more valuable in every way shape or form than Clark at this stage apart from age/potential.
That is all.

Someone with a brain being rationale.

Yes Lobb is s**t, most freo fans will are frustrated with his output… but we structurally need him this year, and we don’t need to salary dump him as we are flush with money given Cerra is now gone.

Uncontracted if Lobb wanted a trade - be lucky to get a pick in the 30/40’s. Contracted for 2 more… well pony up - so when a freo fans asks for 13 from GWS or something high - there’s your justification.

Ohh and there’s a thing called a contract which depending if you’re a prictorian or ‘the rest’ means no different to what that smug Wells is holding freo to re: Clark to (and fair enough).. So Bell is just doing the same

As a freo fan - as much as a pea heart Lobb is, structurally we need him for one more year (hopefully we finally draft a top forward) then fc@k him off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 1st rounders for Lobb, a 1st and 2 3rds.

So, using current picks this year that would be:

GWS
Out: Pick 2, 13
In: Lobb, 8, 61, F3 (Carlton)

I'd actually take that if I was Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you want him at the Eagles?

No, he isn’t that good, but then again I don’t think Lobb is that good either.

In all honesty if I was in the spot Freo are in id be all in hard for Coniglio. Re jig the contract and front load him this year to keep space for Neale going forward

Given Freo don’t want to do that then they really are locked in to getting a like for like swap. This is the best option really and I’d argue the only one. I can’t think of anyone else doing the rounds is all. This is the beggars trade only

No, he isn’t that good, but then again I don’t think Lobb is that good either.

In all honesty if I was in the spot Freo are in id be all in hard for Coniglio. Re jig the contract and front load him this year to keep space for Neale going forward

Given Freo don’t want to do that then they really are locked in to getting a like for like swap. This is the best option really and I’d argue the only one. I can’t think of anyone else doing the rounds is all. This is the beggars trade only
Would you rather a 2nd Rounder, or Mitch McGovern at West Coast?

A 2nd rounder. For a Freo I’d rather McGovern. Different list positions

As I said if I was Freo it’d be a non discussion. I’d be all in on Coniglio. Clark can get stuffed etc
Fair enough. I'd rather a 2nd Rounder regardless of the club.

Actually, I'd rather a 3rd than Mitch McGovern

Oh definitely, and Smith was just too good to turn down tbh. He was 500K a year and cost nothing in draft picks, and just finished 4th in our B+F in his first year at the club.

Clark was always just on the cusp, always in the emergencies, and even with our best team on the park, was chosen for the first half dozen games because we just wanted him in the team. Once he had his 'mare playing against Sydney in his preferred position down back, he was dropped and then couldn't force his way back in/past those aforementioned 3 players.

Honestly, I really have loved the kid since he was drafted (and even before). When we called his name out with Pick 15, I couldn't believe that we got such a steal and drafted the player we wanted, as he was projected by a lot of draft boards to go in the Top 10.

Once he started playing in the pre-season, and then the subsequent 17 games for the rest of the year, I was so excited and thought we had a generational talent on our hands. He then injured his shoulder, missed finals selection, and then took a while to get back the next year with multiple niggles from not being able to train as much as he would like. That combined with Scarlett's pigheadedness and refusal to back the kid in because...reasons, meant we didn't see much of him in 2020 - where others like Simpson went past him at vital times.

This year was a mess with COVID, as last year was, and while he definitely showed his love for the club/had dinner with Sel and his wife every week, I certainly think the whole Scarlett debacle knocked his confidence around a bit.

With that said, I think he could probably train harder, but being a kid with his lax persona, halfway across the country while we're going through a once in a lifetime crisis, is enough to affect anyone's football - let alone someone who has been barred from playing in their rightful position because the line coach is a stubborn prick.

I think with his head clear, and a license to run and provide offensive flair as a winger/rebounding half back, he'll offer those same exciting attack traits that we saw in 2019 in his first year. People forget, he won the GF sprint in 2019 - he's that quick.

One last thing, there's a lot who have said it's Clark's fault re: the whole Scarlett debacle, but I truly believe that was part of the reason why he was let go, once Hocking came back into the club. There was obviously a lot of tension around it, and Scarlo had far more say on team selection than any of us would like - as evidenced by Kolo being selected every week, and Scarlett making it no secret that he was one of his favourites (even though he should have been the 20-22nd player selected every week).

I also think that Clark has some responsibility in this, in that he probably didn't respond with a determined resolve, but rather, gave up a little and let others who were more hungry than him like Holmes and Close, go past him. I don't blame him completely for that though, as it's been a tough couple of years for all young kids away from home. I was pissed at the rumours of him already moving his stuff home, but now I just think we've already told him he can go home because a deal will get done, and the rest is just grandstanding - so I'm not so annoyed anymore.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but thought it might offer an insight into why some of us value him as we do, now that Scarlett is gone and there's a chance for him to be that player he was pre-draft/his debut year. You guys obviously see that same potential, which is why you've offered him 4 years and are prepared to give up a decent pick for him.

I reckon he'll be an absolute jet in the right environment, and I think clear air under a new coach who has a mantra of playing kids as part of a rebuild, is the perfect place for someone like the free-spirited person that Clark is - to let his natural footy ability shine through - without the constraints of being overly defensive in a more settled/rigorous defensive-minded outfit.

Good insight, great to hear your views, as a Freo supporter I’m not that keen, I would rather go to the draft.

I hope Clark stays as well, I think he's 21 and shown enough and is what we need, with Kelly on board as coach should suit him, as they were similar at this stage of their career.

Would Freo and he's just swap cognilio and Lobb, fresh start for both is required to get the best out of their footy

Good insight, great to hear your views, as a Freo supporter I’m not that keen, I would rather go to the draft.

I dont think this deal will be done, by the sounds both club are too far away in terms of trade and the salary is an issue

Not sure if any Melbourne clubs would be keen due to the salary
North NO CCJ and Goldstein + 2 other young tall forwards with ruck options (And Larkey)
Pies No cap room and no need with Grundy and Cameron
Hawks Prefer Ladhams and too old for the list profile they want
Carlton Pittonet and TDK for ruck and then Curnow and McKay forward
Tigers Soldo and Nank 2 rick set up with Lynch and Reiwoldt forward
St Kilda Ryder and Marshall 2 ruck set up and will trade for Xerri
Bombers Draper and then Wright the chop out option + Bryan as back up
Dogs Martin and English with Sweet as back up
Geelong Stanley, Ceglar (Likely) and then Ratugolea
Demons Gawn, Jackson + Daw and Brown for back up

The Lions would be an option but that doesnt work if his GF is working in Melbourne and the salary

I feel all parties are in a corner with no other options so it is either the Dockers lose out draft wise and paying part of his salary or have to honour the contract. As a Giants supporter it is a bit like a revenge for the McCarthy saga

Could you perhaps provide a little more detail?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back