List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
He's been discussed on here, certainly an option. Good interceptor, disposal leaves something to be desired. I wouldn't mind him - I guess from the club's perspective, it depends on what position they see Mac Andrew taking (if indeed we're into him), whether we lose Bobby, whether we gain Lobb and what we pay for him.
Yeah absolutely.
My assumption is that we would be taking MAC that high in the draft because we see him having the potential as a pure Forward or a dominant Ruck/Forward (Nic Nat/Luke Jackson). I doubt we would be sliding down from Callaghan to Mac if we see him as a potential key position back (especially given the timeline required on MAC).
Yeah disposal will be important for Alleer but I think we would be bringing in plenty of potential if we draft
MAC/Rachele/Fahey/Alleer

Re Bobby and Lobb.
I think it's pretty clear that Bruhn will take Bobby's spot at first.
Lobb and Hogan would be formidable deep as both are very good contested marks (we love a bail out bomb kick into forward 50 to a pack).
Lobb/Preuss sharing ruck/rest forward.

Himmel becomes his natural third tall.

I'd say Connor Stone will come for Lloyds spot this year.

Daniels maybe spends more time as a pure small forward...giving up his mid minutes to a revitalised Cogs.

Have I spouted enough nonsense yet? Probably.

I do hope we draft MAC, and I'm Devo we are losing Bobby Hill.

Yeah absolutely.
My assumption is that we would be taking MAC that high in the draft because we see him having the potential as a pure Forward or a dominant Ruck/Forward (Nic Nat/Luke Jackson). I doubt we would be sliding down from Callaghan to Mac if we see him as a potential key position back (especially given the timeline required on MAC).
Yeah disposal will be important for Alleer but I think we would be bringing in plenty of potential if we draft
MAC/Rachele/Fahey/Alleer

Re Bobby and Lobb.
I think it's pretty clear that Bruhn will take Bobby's spot at first.
Lobb and Hogan would be formidable deep as both are very good contested marks (we love a bail out bomb kick into forward 50 to a pack).
Lobb/Preuss sharing ruck/rest forward.

Himmel becomes his natural third tall.

I'd say Connor Stone will come for Lloyds spot this year.

Daniels maybe spends more time as a pure small forward...giving up his mid minutes to a revitalised Cogs.

Have I spouted enough nonsense yet? Probably.

I do hope we draft MAC, and I'm Devo we are losing Bobby Hill.
Exctied to see year 2 of Stone and Bruhn hope they can both secure 15+ games, thought they both had some really awesome moments. Plenty of touch and ability to hit the scoreboard between them, Bruhn gives you more around i50 stoppages then Bobby does as well.

Exctied to see year 2 of Stone and Bruhn hope they can both secure 15+ games, thought they both had some really awesome moments. Plenty of touch and ability to hit the scoreboard between them, Bruhn gives you more around i50 stoppages then Bobby does as well.
I'm all in on Bruhn.
Stone is bigger than I expected him to be. Kinda loping mid/forward. Perfect to take on that forward role and rotate through the mid when needed. They clearly rate him to have played him against Geelong.

I think we have drafted incredibly well in the last few years.

I'd love to see Ash moved to a wing this season and trained up as a two way runner in the Whitfield mould.

Also....
I'm annoyed Bobby is leaving but I am stoked he didn't just randomly nominate a club. It allows us to find the best deal for him with multiple suitors.
Hopefully someone over pays.

I'm all in on Bruhn.
Stone is bigger than I expected him to be. Kinda loping mid/forward. Perfect to take on that forward role and rotate through the mid when needed. They clearly rate him to have played him against Geelong.

I'd love to see Ash moved to a wing this season and trained up as a two way runner in the Whitfield mould.
Stone is the perfect mid sized foward not sure how much mid time is going to be avaliable to him with all the other mouths too feed but he clearly showed he's capable as a forward against Geelong. It's taken me a while to warm up to Ash I was pretty worried about him as late as the Melbourne game halfway through the year but I thought his last few games especially were fantastic. Didn't think he showed off his wheels enough and punish teams with the ball in hand earlier in the year but there were multiple times in the last couple weeks where he backs in his speed takes a couple bounces and runs past people. His ability to rotate between wing and halfback while also being able to play as a tagger is really valuable. Skys the limit for him, love his competitiveness as well seems like he really gives a sh*t.

Stone is the perfect mid sized foward not sure how much mid time is going to be avaliable to him with all the other mouths too feed but he clearly showed he's capable as a forward against Geelong. It's taken me a while to warm up to Ash I was pretty worried about him as late as the Melbourne game halfway through the year but I thought his last few games especially were fantastic. Didn't think he showed off his wheels enough and punish teams with the ball in hand earlier in the year but there were multiple times in the last couple weeks where he backs in his speed takes a couple bounces and runs past people. His ability to rotate between wing and halfback while also being able to play as a tagger is really valuable. Skys the limit for him, love his competitiveness as well seems like he really gives a sh*t.
Yeah I think he got a bit gun-shy this year. Got beaten one on one when playing in defence a few times then moved into tagging. I agree with you about his dash with ball in hand. He will be super damaging running with and without the ball next season. He loves to throw his hands up in the air and complain when he's not used but I think you're right. He's just commited and wants to impact. Massive future.
I'll be honest I was worried about Cumming early too and he took his game to another level as well.

Interesting if the Hill situation was raised in the season end interviews because the club would have known and could have made plans as it is not like the club and player were not aware of the situation
Wish him the best as he seems a season of becoming a consistent player

Ha ha, he probably would be a good pickup for the Pies, but still, you've got a few small forwards (Elliott, Brown) plus Daicos coming in who may well start forward ... and pushing JT out, so figured a small forward would be down the list of priorities.

From the GWs perspective, Pies have little to trade, so would depend on if they were open to a future pick - 2R would have to be it, and we hope Pies do poorly next year. We might have to split pick #2 or #13 to now replace a guy we didn't expect to have to. :huh:

Graham Wright recently said on Trade Radio that we're looking for a small forward. JT is out of contract and looking like he wont be offered a new one.
Brown isn't very good and probably better suited to being an in and under mid anyhow.

Pure speculation but I think the biggest thing holding Collingwood back may be cap pressure, which brings me to my next question.
Doe you guys have a ball-park figure of Hill's contract?

I'm all in on Bruhn.

Bruhn needs to show he is fully committed and re-sign. VIC clubs coming for him especially Cats.

If he doesn’t re-sign by first month of next season I’m happy to leave him in the twos. I’m still dirty on that disloyal flog Caldwell (double whammy cost us Butters).

Graham Wright recently said on Trade Radio that we're looking for a small forward. JT is out of contract and looking like he wont be offered a new one.
Brown isn't very good and probably better suited to being an in and under mid anyhow.

Pure speculation but I think the biggest thing holding Collingwood back may be cap pressure, which brings me to my next question.
Yeah, looking around the various boards today, a few clubs who I thought would be OK for small forwards are looking for a quality one according to the fans - including Pies, so cannot discount GW making a play for him. Certainly if you're looking to move JT on, probably you'll make room for Bobby.

I don't know what Bobby's contract $ would be. It wouldn't be huge, and this is certainly not a salary dump as some opposition fans want to believe. We've been trying to extend him, so this is unwelcome news. It would depend how tight Pies' cap really is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think just as relevant is the question of how you make the deal happen at the trade table tbh

Just putting up some names if the club would look at add a small forward to the list as with Hill probable trade and Greene missing the 1st 5 games

Michael Gibbons Delisted from Carlton, 25, 47 games originally from Lavington. not sure if he was in the academy or I am confused with someone else
Josh Thomas Not sure if delisted yet, 30, 123 games Mates with Keefe (Banned together ;) )
Sam Gray Delisted from Swans, 29, 103 games, Any of these 3 for a year for cheap depth on the rookie list

Darcy Macpherson Possible salary dump by GC so trade needed and overpay possibly, 23, 62 games, not really a big goal kicker so maybe similar to Daniels but will bring some pace
Ben Ronke Waiting on a contract from the Swans I think, 23, 33 games, has potential just not sure on his commitment

Breust would be a great get but not sure if the Hawks would part with him as he re-signed during the year i think

Just putting up some names if the club would look at add a small forward to the list as with Hill probable trade and Greene missing the 1st 5 games

Michael Gibbons Delisted from Carlton, 25, 47 games originally from Lavington. not sure if he was in the academy or I am confused with someone else
Josh Thomas Not sure if delisted yet, 30, 123 games Mates with Keefe (Banned together ;) )
Sam Gray Delisted from Swans, 29, 103 games, Any of these 3 for a year for cheap depth on the rookie list

Darcy Macpherson Possible salary dump by GC so trade needed and overpay possibly, 23, 62 games, not really a big goal kicker so maybe similar to Daniels but will bring some pace
Ben Ronke Waiting on a contract from the Swans I think, 23, 33 games, has potential just not sure on his commitment

Breust would be a great get but not sure if the Hawks would part with him as he re-signed during the year i think

Not against adding more depth but would like to see a focus on getting more games into Stone.

Not against adding more depth but would like to see a focus on getting more games into Stone.
Agree.
Hopefully Daniels can stay on the park and learn to take his chances better.
I like Perryman forward. Smart, good overhead and a good shot. Also provides a hard edge. Helpful with Toby in the stand.

I think just as relevant is the question of how you make the deal happen at the trade table tbh

No idea, friend. I'm not coming in here with any false bravado - I'll give you pick pick 114, type bs.
Hard to know where GWS value him at or what Collinwood is prepared to pay, really.

As it stands now, if Collinwood were to use pick 58 on Lipinski and offered 27 for Hill then that would put us at a 60point deficit if a Daicos bid came in at #2. Something I think Collingwood would consider, though I suspect GWS would value him a few spots higher.

Perhaps they may offer Jamie Elliot and something else, no idea tbh.

Is there any concern over aboriginal players leaving the club. We've had Williams, Finlayson and now Bobby all at least attempt to move from the club within the last 12 months is there something we're not doing correctly, are we not offering enough support or is it fair to assume that it's a coincidence and they're all leaving for seperate reasons. I've always thought of GWS as very supportive and progressive when it come's to celebrating different cultures so just thought it was curious.

I'm going with immaturity being a factor here, young kids make rash decisions. The timing is odd for this to be a well thought out idea.

The stars-in-waiting that we have in Bruhn & Stone with the option of playing someone like Perryman or Callum Brown forward probably gives us the option to take a DFA such as Gibbons or JT to act as backup, although I already wanted to draft a small forward so even more so now would want to aim for a quality draftee to develop.

Gibbons was GWS Academy from Lavington, at the same time as Zac Williams & Joe Redfern. I'd be OK with bringing him in on a lifeline.

No idea, friend. I'm not coming in here with any false bravado - I'll give you pick pick 114, type bs.
Hard to know where GWS value him at or what Collinwood is prepared to pay, really.

As it stands now, if Collinwood were to use pick 58 on Lipinski and offered 27 for Hill then that would put us at a 60point deficit if a Daicos bid came in at #2. Something I think Collingwood would consider, though I suspect GWS would value him a few spots higher.

Perhaps they may offer Jamie Elliot and something else, no idea tbh.
Yeah I don’t reckon we would want that pick.

I’m struggling to think of a player that might work for us both but I just can’t see it happening. I love Elliott but he is too injury prone

If he was going for family wouldn’t it be to WA?
Sounds to me like Young has had a massive contract put in front of him.
If he wants out it's not necessarily a bad thing for us if he has a big contact offer in front of him, means we should be able to extract as many assets as possible out of whoever wants him the most because ultimately we can still hold him. We have all the leverage here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back