Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Had quite the nightmare last night. My father's a Carlton fan so keep this in mind. He always has a tendency to rabble nonsense like "that Oliver will be handy alongside Walsh". Anyhow, I woke up this morning thinking Fritta was off to the Blues.

Had quite the nightmare last night. My father's a Carlton fan so keep this in mind. He always has a tendency to rabble nonsense like "that Oliver will be handy alongside Walsh". Anyhow, I woke up this morning thinking Fritta was off to the Blues.

Mate ITK says he desperately wants out, because he's sick of missing finals at Melbourne. Desperate to get to the Blues. Mate's never been wrong and says it's certain!

The club put a clip up of GF day and the Brisbane game is mentioned at HT by Goody as a reason we could come back. Would love to see a bit more from Qt, HT and 3QT and what was said.

I hope the AFL puts up a video like they did with the Richmond/Geelong GF.

I’m sure it was only a small part of what Simon said to the team, but what they showed in that video was perfect:

- we’ve been in this situation before and rose to the challenge
- don’t sweat it- believe in your conditioning

The short snippet we saw, it was like the dude was sending them out to play the second half of the company picnic game. Not sure I could deliver that message in that situation. What a legend.
I think it goes to show that motivation and belief are more significant to the result of a big game than tricky coaching moves. Most of the coaching is done through the year, even pre-season. It's probably a myth that the great coaches need plan A, B and C. They probably only really have one main plan, with room for tweaking, but you ultimately need to keep the team on plan and keep their motivation levels high. I would say Goody excelled at this all year. Some coaches might have made more changes and swung more players, but in the end, Goody's approach hit the magic combination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great interview. First time I've really heard Jako speak at length.
Yeah I thought it was a good interview too

He was a recluse but it seems he is a bit more comfortable opening up these days. Seems he tried to distance himself from his on field persona for a long time but is more comfortable talking about it and embracing it these days

The story about him kissing his brother was great. Just two brothers pretending they were kids again but in front of a big crowd at the MCG.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Likewise. And judging by Gus' voice in today's one, they were captured pretty quickly when emotions were high.

Club has done a great job on social media to continue to enjoy the moment.
Yeah, must have been. Some of the boys are still in Perth and it looks to be all filmed same place, so prob same day as signing day I’m guessing.

I feel like everyone talks about our 2004 capitulation but a very similar thing happened in 2005 which I feel like I’ve somehow never clocked. 9-3 after 12 rounds and then lost 7 consecutive games to go from 2nd to equal 12th. Am I right in thinking that this goes under the radar? That’s an abominable capitulation. Supermercado, thoughts?

Hard to imagine a side being closer to a decent footy side and yet simultaneously so, so far off as we were from 2004-2006, except maybe us from 1987-1990, and then us again from 2017-2020. I’m obsessed with stories like R6, 1992. Makes MFCSS so easy to understand.

This page is very useful: https://afltables.com/afl/seas/ladders/laddersyby.html

2004: spent 14 rounds inside the top 4, #1 in R18, finished fifth, elimination final loss

2005: 14 weeks inside the top 4 until R15, top 2 until R13, finished seventh, elimination final loss

2006: 8 rounds inside the top 4, 3/4 in R20/21, finished seventh, semi-final loss.

That’s 36 weeks in the top 4 to never finish there in three years in a very open era between two dynasties, during which we were s**t house

Only other example I can think of Is the bombers

Round 9 2011 they were 3rd
Finished 8th. Elim exit

Round 13 2012 they were 3rd. 10-3
Finished 11th missed finals

Round 17 2013 they were 2nd
Finished 7th. Elim exit

A real mystery what happened to the Bombers in those years.

This page is very useful: https://afltables.com/afl/seas/ladders/laddersyby.html

2004: spent 14 rounds inside the top 4, #1 in R18, finished fifth, elimination final loss

2005: 14 weeks inside the top 4 until R15, top 2 until R13, finished seventh, elimination final loss

2006: 8 rounds inside the top 4, 3/4 in R20/21, finished seventh, semi-final loss.

That’s 36 weeks in the top 4 to never finish there in three years in a very open era between two dynasties, during which we were sh*t house

9 months in the top 4 over three seasons, for pretty much zero return is a hell of an accomplishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back