Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists... Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i take it we arent looking to trade up based on those comments which is disappointing.

Was asked to assess OB when doing some recruiting for a club and came home from the first state game I saw him play and just said to my old man, not good enough. Really bad kick, average decision maker, not clean enough but elite runner. Nothing has changed enough for him to make it. He never gets to us if he ain't a Brownless I don't reckon.

I think only four mature age prospects have been invited to the combine (Noah Pegoraro, Charlie Dean, Ronald Fejo Jnr, Leek Alleer). So if we do take one it will likely be in the rookie draft.

I can guarantee Leek is going to go higher than a rookie. He can play. Always had amazing athleticism (much like a lot of the africans) so we followed him closely in the 18s year and beyond but has finally learnt the composure and nous to go along with the athletic tools. Can intercept mark so might not be what we are chasing but I expect him to have a decent career.

So i take it we arent looking to trade up based on those comments which is disappointing.

I listened to the whole interview and I wouldn’t have gleaned that from listening to it. I think all options are on the table. As a guess, I think we are more likely to trade up during the draft depending on how the players fall but maybe we do trade earlier?

If Wells is confident that the player/s he wants will be still around in the second round then why waste a pick in upgrading?

It does appear though that there is quite an even bunch from about 15 on - who clubs take might depend on their need for a tall or a midfielder, whether they might preference a home based player etc. I imagine now that there will be analysis done on the likely draft scenario to work out what strategy we now take.

Any chance of drafting a ready made mid from state leagues to step into midfield Rd1?

Any suitors & at what pick?

Bailey Rogers... typical Wells left field pick?? Sandover Medalist. Mid that kicks goals. 24 years old.
Maybe Pick 50 which will be pick 40-42 after compensation picks.

I can guarantee Leek is going to go higher than a rookie. He can play. Always had amazing athleticism (much like a lot of the africans) so we followed him closely in the 18s year and beyond but has finally learnt the composure and nous to go along with the athletic tools. Can intercept mark so might not be what we are chasing but I expect him to have a decent career.

I didn't say he was going to be a rookie. The original poster asked if we'd draft a mid, Alleer isn't a mid, and no genuine mid has been invited to the combine. So I said if we do draft a mid it will be as a rookie.

I respectfully disagree. The number of games played over three years isn't the metric that matters. He played 18 of those in the first year and then was injured a bit. What matters is how the club handles the selection and as Ling said when criticising the club's handling of JC nothing crushes a kids confidence like constantly being in or out of the side and not being given proper runs or for that matter being dropped for long enough when something has to be worked on. I really recommend anyone who is interested listening to Ling talk about it on the podcast in the middle of the year. For mine the snap that Clark had against St Kilda was evidence of someone who had lost all confidence, was so unsure of himself and his natural instincts and was massively afraid to make a mistake. No one can play good footy or do anything well in life with that mindset. I think a lot of that falls on the club because that was clearly not his natural state as we saw in the first year where he was fearless doing what he loved taking the game on.

Thats fine we all see it differently. And yes the club has played a part in the result..

Loss of confidence? That would have been the case with a limitless number of players early in their career. Yep it was probably predictable that he played well doing what he had always had done year one. Limiting the way of team rules apply to him and allowing him to just go out and play.. but as time progresses and he was asked to play more within the lines , be more responsible for defense he lost confidence. It's almost typical in a way that player go down before the bounce back.

The metric of games played was being used in the media so I referred to that, behind the scenes it may well have been the loss of his natural confidence that he had always had. Id expect him to bounce next year with a clean slate and as long as he is not regimented too harsh will do some good things for Freo. He resonates the "generation modern" , the one where one must treat them like cookware and always wear heat gloves

Not just one snap... I will say thought for someone who seemed to be a good kick, generally he looked better than what he produced. He missed too many shots around goal for my liking. Guys who can kick the ball like him but miss setshots seem to be ones who do not like pressure.

I suspect someone like Close who has done it harder, might take onboard more of the input than someone who has always been able to be in the group first selected.

Hopeful best 22 for next year (not bloody likely):

B: Henry, SDK, Bews/O'Connor
HB: Stewart, Blics, Tuohy
C: Holmes, Menegola, I. Smith
FO: Stanley/Ceglar, Danger, Guth
HF: Duncan, J. Cameron, Simpson
F: Stengle, Hawk, Close
INT: Sel, Evans, Parfitt, Stephens

EMG: Ceglar/Stanley, O'Connor/Bews, S. Higgins/Miers, Atkins
Its looks pretty good tbh Bews is a lock for mine.

I would have Stanley on the bench as R2/F and remove either Evans or Stephens, I can't see all 3 of Close, Evans and Stengle playing in the same team. It's hard to settle on a best 23 that's for sure...

So you have coming out of this years team Higgins, Dahl, Rohan (agree) Kolo, Miers, MOC, Atkins (stiff)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not that down on him to be honest. I doubt it was all his fault but I do think that he resonates a stereotype of ultra talented sportsman who has always been able to do what he wanted..and probably did not handle blunt truths. PLyed a lot year one, injured year two ..and apparently was looking at trade then.... so. the commentary about not being played this year is not critical in my eyes. In the end.. move on. He was not our next great mid or captain or something so no great loss.

Yep, most likely a lot of truth as well in the bolded.

Was asked to assess OB when doing some recruiting for a club and came home from the first state game I saw him play and just said to my old man, not good enough. Really bad kick, average decision maker, not clean enough but elite runner. Nothing has changed enough for him to make it. He never gets to us if he ain't a Brownless I don't reckon.

Yeah agree although i feel he had improved a lot since being in our system, i think he was even an emergency at one point this year.

He wasnt getting a game because he wasnt good enough and his performances showed that, also his attitude to hard work was apparently terrible, has nothing to do with the club treating him badly
I reckon if you played any of Bews, Kolo or Atkins up forward, they would have minimal effect too.

Clark is absolutely good enough at half back and by all reports burned the joint down over pre season. There is no evidence that he is allergic to hard work. That’s separate to the issues Scarlett had with him - something about wanting him to have a “harder edge”.

Wells 100% categorically denied that he said he wouldnt come back. He repeatedly said he was happy to but they did the trade out of respect for Jordan
I didn't hear that. I heard him say - after being asked about the phone call and whether Clark 'urged strongly' for the club to release him and being hung up on - that Clark definitely didn't hang up on him. He said Clark 'asked politely' whether they 'could get the deal done anyway that it.. er.. just that he wanted to go home to Fremantle'. He then said - 'he was also clear that he might be coming back to Geelong'. I took that to mean that Wells made it clear to him that he might be a required player if the right deal couldn't be struck. Anyway, we don't know and it doesn't matter now, but Wells is a class act to treat Clark respectfully in a situation where Clark certainly hasn't done the same to our club. I hope we draft someone with pick 22 that actually has some pride to pull on the hoops.

We need to prioritize mids in the draft.
We do. Doesnt help us in the short term though while danger and selwood and haekins and duncan and cameron are still on the list.
Name the quality midfielders that were available this trade period? Cerra and that’s it.
Not the point. We havent fixed it so we are goneski. It may not of been possible to fix it. This doesnt change the fact it hasnt been fixed. And if it cant be fixed perhaps we should of tried to rebuild rather then tread water. Offload some of danger, cameron, duncan and guthrie.

We didnt. All we have done is push our next premiership window further into the future.

We do. Doesnt help us in the short term though while danger and selwood and haekins and duncan and cameron are still on the list.
Not the point. We havent fixed it so we are goneski. It may not of been possible to fix it. This doesnt change the fact it hasnt been fixed. And if it cant be fixed perhaps we should of tried to rebuild rather then tread water. Offload some of danger, cameron, duncan and guthrie.

We didnt. All we have done is push our next premiership window further into the future.

Geez what a dumb post.
I'm sure Cameron, Duncan and Danger would have been more than happy to be traded to anyone with decent picks to take them...
Seriously, in a sea of stupid, this takes the cake.

Geez what a dumb post.
I'm sure Cameron, Duncan and Danger would have been more than happy to be traded to anyone with decent picks to take them...
Seriously, in a sea of stupid, this takes the cake.
Perhaps he is just lost and confused this with the Hawks board. Seems to have the same plan as Mitchell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back