Recruiting Draft Watch 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Can he turn into Jackson macrae?
slightly outside who can run and has solid skills by foot?

I think of him as a Caleb Daniel, different physical limitations as he’ll never be solid, but with ball in hand highly evasive and incredibly creative from tight space.

Why are we wanting to trade our F1 into this year's first round? Are we following the whole buy now, pay later mantra of Melbourne? Next year a week draft? Not bothered by losing points for Daveys?

Don't we need it for an attempt to trade for Ben King? He'll cost at least two firsts.

Don't we need it for an attempt to trade for Ben King? He'll cost at least two firsts.
I think Ben King would be 2 firsts minimum, or equivalent. I know the Suns were quite interested in Nick Bryan (and I don't blame them) and Baldwin could still have a big year and develop some currency.

But I am of the firm belief that if Ben King were available next year, Dodoro would quite literally move heaven and earth to get him. I don't think the currency to get him would be a big hurdle.

If Baldwin shows enough to be of any interest to other clubs then surely he’s showing enough for us to want to hang on to him unless he specifically requested to be traded.
Maybe we don’t want him? Seems a reasonable inference given the club apparently is happy to offload F1 and F2 to get into the first round this year.

I think the earliest pick our F1 will get us will be 21/22. You'd only do that live if a player you really like had slid and id try and get a F3 back. The closer it got to pick 30 I think you're asking for a F2 back or taking the F1 off the table altogether and putting the F2 up instead. We're in a position where we'd like to bring an extra pick in after our 1st rounder but we're not desperate. I think we'll get some good talent with our 2 x 3rds regardless.

I think Ben King would be 2 firsts minimum, or equivalent. I know the Suns were quite interested in Nick Bryan (and I don't blame them) and Baldwin could still have a big year and develop some currency.

But I am of the firm belief that if Ben King were available next year, Dodoro would quite literally move heaven and earth to get him. I don't think the currency to get him would be a big hurdle.
GC has 4 picks inside the first 25 next year. I'd say they're positioning themselves to demand a gun player and a high R1 pick.

If Baldwin shows enough to be of any interest to other clubs then surely he’s showing enough for us to want to hang on to him unless he specifically requested to be traded.

Maybe we don’t want him? Seems a reasonable inference given the club apparently is happy to offload F1 and F2 to get into the first round this year.
What gun player would want to go to GC, though?

Can he turn into Jackson macrae?
slightly outside who can run and has solid skills by foot?

He could have that ability but he is 5kg lighter than Macrae at the age. Macrae is not the norm for AFL players as he has put on over 10 kg since his draft days.
You could not rule it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we wanting to trade our F1 into this year's first round? Are we following the whole buy now, pay later mantra of Melbourne? Next year a week draft? Not bothered by losing points for Daveys?

As it has been seen in recent years it has been relatively easy to trade picks in for points and clubs with potential high father sons have moved on their first round picks. Right now as it sits Alwyn Jnr is looked at as a 15 to 20 pick while Jayden is more in the 40 to 50 range. Things will change for sure but you do not base your draft this year by trying to predict the exact future. Obviously there are a few in the top 25 this year the club is keen on given they are actively looking at it.

If GCS are happy to pay a higher salary I’m sure that will entice some.
I don't think they have that much cash lying around though. Maybe offloading Brodie would have alleviated some. But they're going to have to pay up big time when King, Rankine and Lukosius come OOC.

I don't think they have that much cash lying around though. Maybe offloading Brodie would have alleviated some. But they're going to have to pay up big time when King, Rankine and Lukosius come OOC.

No club really does, the problem being the salary cap floor is too high.

Apart from offering mid-range types way overs, the really good players all get very good money, but can't be paid ridiculous money by any club.

Isn’t King leaving in this scenario?

Also, Rankine won’t be getting mega bucks unless he really pulls his finger out next year.

Isn’t King leaving in this scenario?

Also, Rankine won’t be getting mega bucks unless he really pulls his finger out next year.
Yeah but I was speaking in generalities. They'll still need the cash available to make him a great offer.
No club really does, the problem being the salary cap floor is too high.

Apart from offering mid-range types way overs, the really good players all get very good money, but can't be paid ridiculous money by any club.
I'd firmly expect at least King to receive ridiculous offers. Probably one from us too.
You don't think they are already?
Don't think they are what, paying them good money? They will need to up it for Lukosius and especially King. Not sure how much Rankine is on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back