Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists... Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given I'm 32, I'd safely say I'm not a relic, lol.

But seriously - Lyon did not change his style in 10 years of coaching. If anything, he tried changing it at one stage, and then reverted back to the mean when Freo started their rebuild.

Lyon may be able to coach, but like Malthouse, is he able to coach in an era where mental health and treatment of players is nearly as important as the game plan itself - his compassion is not something he's renowned for -, and is he able to work within a team rather than trying to be 'Ross the Boss' - in a new environment?

My biggest problem with Lyon isn't his coaching ability - as yes there is a chance that his intelligence would enable him to contribute and change our style for the better as a keen football mind. No, my biggest qualm is that time and time again he's shown that he's just not a good person.

Whether it be his propensity for selecting favourite oldies at the expense of kids - our own coach can be accused of that too - or it be the accusations from a former staffer regarding sexually inappropriate conduct in the workplace, or, his arrogance that was on display when he went for the Carlton job, where he declared he was going for the job when Teague's future was undecided, and then withdrew when they said he had to submit to an interview process like most other candidates - Lyon does not have a good track record as someone who is trusted and upstanding within the football world.

I have many issues with Scott and his coaching, but one thing I've repeated ad nauseam, is that he is a person of the highest character and someone who I have the utmost respect for. His style and a lot of other things may drive me up the wall, but his determination to better himself every year and always do what's best by the club, at least means I'll be able to deal with him being at the club, even if his style doesn't change enough for mine or other supporter's tastes. In comparison to Lyon, Scott is someone I'm happy to have around the club and those young and old.

Lyon on the other hand, is only ever cited as 'driving hard standards' and being 'no nonsense.' That cavalier attitude in this day and age, is what drives away young kids like Clark - the Scarlett debacle being an apt demonstration of this.

Just because I'm a supporter, doesn't mean I can't see how Lyon has conducted himself in the football world for the past decade and a bit. I can respect what he's done and his intelligence, but I do not respect him as a person - and do not want him within a mile of our club.

Others like yourself will obviously disagree, but he's an old school person ala Scarlett, who thinks that 'being tough' is more important than kind and understanding - something that does not fly in 2021.

In all fairness to Lyon he did make 3 grand finals all off his own bat (that's 2 more than Scott) and was hardly embarrassed in any of them. Guy might be a dick sometimes but he sure knows football, not the worst guy to have on your side.

How was the tone when we de-listed Henderson?

I dont remember but that was different as we had committed to taking abbott and brownless as rookies then abbott went to st kilda and opened up a spot..i doubt we would have picked hendo back up unless that happened. This time we will have at least 2 rookie spots if we want to rerookie CC.

How was the tone when we de-listed Henderson?
Lachie Henderson has been informed he will not be offered a playing contract for season 2020, which will see him depart GMHBA Stadium.

After playing 117 games and kicking 104 goals with Brisbane and Carlton, Henderson joined the Cats ahead of the 2016 season.

Henderson played 54 games in the navy & white hoops, the 29-year-old played in six finals across his four seasons with the club.

Geelong’s Recruiting & List Manager Stephen Wells thanked Henderson for his efforts with the Cats.

“Lachie filled a number of roles with us and we wish him well in his future,” Wells said.

“Lachie has shown himself to be a selfless clubman and a great teammate over his time with the Cats. He helped us win a lot of games and always took up whatever role we needed him to do.”

Lachie Henderson has been informed he will not be offered a playing contract for season 2020, which will see him depart GMHBA Stadium.

After playing 117 games and kicking 104 goals with Brisbane and Carlton, Henderson joined the Cats ahead of the 2016 season.

Henderson played 54 games in the navy & white hoops, the 29-year-old played in six finals across his four seasons with the club.

Geelong’s Recruiting & List Manager Stephen Wells thanked Henderson for his efforts with the Cats.

“Lachie filled a number of roles with us and we wish him well in his future,” Wells said.

“Lachie has shown himself to be a selfless clubman and a great teammate over his time with the Cats. He helped us win a lot of games and always took up whatever role we needed him to do.”
I stand corrected

In all fairness to Lyon he did make 3 grand finals all off his own bat (that's 2 more than Scott) and was hardly embarrassed in any of them. Guy might be a dick sometimes but he sure knows football, not the worst guy to have on your side.

Agreed with some of that, but it's the 'guy might be a dick' part, that I think is not a negotiable clubs can afford in this current era - especially with our improved understanding of mental health issues, and the endemic structural issues that the newer generation face - combined with all the isolation from COVID.

TD; LR: being a good coach but being a dick on the side, just isn't a good enough compromise anymore, IMO.

I honestly think that it's being interpreted differently across the board, but those comments from his manager are pretty damn certain.

I think we made those generic comments re: best of luck and thanks for all you did at Geelong, as it's a cover all if another club picks him up and he doesn't come back - which is what him and his manager would prefer for his career.

I'd say both Wells and now his manager, have been pretty damn convincing in saying that there's a spot there for him as a rook, if he can't get one anywhere else - as a lot of us including you and I stated is what would most likely happen.

I'd say I reckon he's a massive chance to be re-rookied, as I can't see anyone else anywhere picking him up. Given what Hendo did with his opportunity, might be the spark that Chook needs to actually really go away and improve his tank/fitness base over the summer.

Not fussed either way, but I'd say it's 80/20 he comes back as a rook - which is probably like Christmas come early for foxdog50, 😂
Then straight into the leadership group I reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon
Melbourne
Xavier College

Seen as an exemptional development coach
how long was he at xavier for?? want to be careful to not pluck someone who has been that long out of the system... but then again, clarkson came from an APS school teaching background and that went alright..

Was a development coach at Essendon till 2020 and was cut due to covid
Head of football/ development Coaching Xavier currently

i assume he got cut due to his position being that of a lesser role?

anyways, always struck me as an outstanding person and very well articulated.

should be a good get

i assume he got cut due to his position being that of a lesser role?

anyways, always struck me as an outstanding person and very well articulated.

should be a good get
Yeah just one of those things, football departments all over the league had to let go people they wouldn’t have wanted too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back