List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Could you imagine, their would be a Fair few happy campers on this board. Including myself

I wonder what it would take to obtain pick 16 though?
our next years 1st is off the table IIRC
Or can we trade it if we are taking multiple first rounders this year?
Starts to get a bit confusing
We can trade next year's first for another first (2021 or 2022).

That said, it could potentially be a top 10 pick so we would want to be pretty certain about the player available at 16 (or whatever we trade for).

I think we are more likely to trade our future 2nd (plus something else) if we want to get up the order.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could you imagine, their would be a Fair few happy campers on this board. Including myself

I wonder what it would take to obtain pick 16 though?
our next years 1st is off the table IIRC
Or can we trade it if we are taking multiple first rounders this year?
Starts to get a bit confusing

We can trade next years first, particularly if we are using 2 this year, I would prefer to keep it however. Brisbane are going to want a significant premium on 14 or 18 with that pick however, anyone likely will for the latter first round picks.

Brisbane due to Ashcroft next year (at this stage I see him 5-15) will potentially be chasing points. As stated so far I rate the top end of Next years draft highly. The top 7-8 at this stage is looking a lot more like the King draft year however as also stated I don't think the draft runs as deep.

The question then is would brisbane give up pick 14 or 18 + 54 for say 35 + future second + future third. Allows us to potentially keep up the top end of the draft next year particularly if we do have a down year and even if it's for say 18 It would give us 2 shots at the genuine first round choices (the second tier of players which I think runs out at a similar point next year) whilst then also allowing us 2 latter picks in the draft this year so we can bring everyone through together.

If we have a good year next year then we are outside of that top tier group so our first rounder means very similar to this year anyway but it values those second and third round picks still quite well for brisbane points wise and if we have a terrible season next year sure we are down our second and third round picks but we still have an early first rounder to potentially pick up a genuine top line marquee player of the future.

54 and 68 this year are then likely to come in by 8-10 picks. Would likely leave us with a draft hand on the days of something along the lines of 12,16 or 20,31,46 and 59 (if we use that pick).

For Brisbane they move a first round pick down to a late second but gain a second and third rounder next year and give up a pick this year they likely aren't using anyway. We have a good trading relationship with the lions and wouldn't do the pick swap yet but look to have an agreement in place. The true value of the second first rounder is that it gets us in that group of players who all have similar upside and project as future best 15 on a list players. It also allows us to move ahead of Freo and the first of their second round picks.

Darcy, Gibcus and Amiss are almost certainly off the board at that point so would have no issue using that second first round pick on JVR if still there. Due to the required years of development and being melbourne based I see Mac Andrew sliding even though his talent ceiling is at least of the level of anyone after Daicos and Horne. I really hope Andrew is off the board as it's another tall off the table. I don't rate any of the open pool rucks this year at all and the only one who probably deserves a main list spot is Conway but I still see him being a 40+ pick on talent. The worry I have with this draft pool is while there are a group of significantly talented talls there are also a fair few teams short on them so the ones I really like the look of could all be gone by our third pick and JVR could be gone by our second or Bazzo may be gone by our third however there is talk that he hasn't done well in interviews.

The below is assuming JVR is taken before our second

If it was to go as it stands
12 Johnson (I see freo taking Erasmus as they think he's potentially the next fyfe or Hobbs if still there)
20 Sinn (Just a west coast pick, likely to slide due to injury but after U16's was seen as a challenger for number 1 with Daicos particularly if JVR is gone)
31 Bazzo (or Hough or Butler if still there particularly if we get JVR)
46 Dittmar (or Knevitt but I suspect Geelong will pounce with one of their picks or Sheldrick if still available and now my preference of the two)
59 Rogers (I think he's either taken late draft or early rookie but gone before our first rookie pick)

Let's look at a worst case scenario for what this board rates and doesn't.
12. Amiss (injury hampered his end of year and is a bit of a one trick pony, however when that one trick is almost identical to how Jack Riewoldt has built a career if he's there we may consider him best available
20. Roberts (stocks have dropped and to me hasn't shown enough to say his game will translate to AFL level as anything more than a role player
31. Warner
46. Conway
59. Regan

Players to avoid.
Jack Williams
Wanganeen-Milera
Andrew
Any ruck In the main draft who'se not Conway (who I still rate at best as a second tier ruck)
Any of our NGA prospects in the main draft. To me they are rookies or cat b rookies at best.

If Johnson and Erasmus are available at pick 10, which one do we take and why? I’m sure it’s been answered but so much to go through lol

Erasmus is ranked higher.

We need both types as much as the other.

Erasmus and then add an inside mid with a later pick.

Howes or Knevitt at 29 adds a 190cm + mid, Howes more outside, 190cm wing / HFF and Knevitt 193 cm inside bull.

Could end up with both Howes 29 and Kneviit / Sheldrick at 35 with that selection to fall back to 32ish.

Erasmus
Howes
Knevitt / Sheldrick

Those three picks go a long way to restocking the midfield cupboard.

If Johnson and Erasmus are available at pick 10, which one do we take and why? I’m sure it’s been answered but so much to go through lol
Both are really good talents and will be good AFL players.
Erasmus is a gun half fwd, as he's a hard runner and strong overhead. He's got very good hands too.
He's a good midfielder, with good evasiveness, run and his hands.
His kicking in general play and for goal let's him down though.

Johnson, is a balanced midfielder who starts centre bounces and has great skills in tight and the ability to squeeze out of tight jams. Good kick and by hand, spreads from a contest really well.

Based on our need for young mids, I'd go MJ.

We can trade next years first, particularly if we are using 2 this year, I would prefer to keep it however. Brisbane are going to want a significant premium on 14 or 18 with that pick however, anyone likely will for the latter first round picks.

Brisbane due to Ashcroft next year (at this stage I see him 5-15) will potentially be chasing points. As stated so far I rate the top end of Next years draft highly. The top 7-8 at this stage is looking a lot more like the King draft year however as also stated I don't think the draft runs as deep.

The question then is would brisbane give up pick 14 or 18 + 54 for say 35 + future second + future third. Allows us to potentially keep up the top end of the draft next year particularly if we do have a down year and even if it's for say 18 It would give us 2 shots at the genuine first round choices (the second tier of players which I think runs out at a similar point next year) whilst then also allowing us 2 latter picks in the draft this year so we can bring everyone through together.

If we have a good year next year then we are outside of that top tier group so our first rounder means very similar to this year anyway but it values those second and third round picks still quite well for brisbane points wise and if we have a terrible season next year sure we are down our second and third round picks but we still have an early first rounder to potentially pick up a genuine top line marquee player of the future.

54 and 68 this year are then likely to come in by 8-10 picks. Would likely leave us with a draft hand on the days of something along the lines of 12,16 or 20,31,46 and 59 (if we use that pick).

For Brisbane they move a first round pick down to a late second but gain a second and third rounder next year and give up a pick this year they likely aren't using anyway. We have a good trading relationship with the lions and wouldn't do the pick swap yet but look to have an agreement in place. The true value of the second first rounder is that it gets us in that group of players who all have similar upside and project as future best 15 on a list players. It also allows us to move ahead of Freo and the first of their second round picks.

Darcy, Gibcus and Amiss are almost certainly off the board at that point so would have no issue using that second first round pick on JVR if still there. Due to the required years of development and being melbourne based I see Mac Andrew sliding even though his talent ceiling is at least of the level of anyone after Daicos and Horne. I really hope Andrew is off the board as it's another tall off the table. I don't rate any of the open pool rucks this year at all and the only one who probably deserves a main list spot is Conway but I still see him being a 40+ pick on talent. The worry I have with this draft pool is while there are a group of significantly talented talls there are also a fair few teams short on them so the ones I really like the look of could all be gone by our third pick and JVR could be gone by our second or Bazzo may be gone by our third however there is talk that he hasn't done well in interviews.

The below is assuming JVR is taken before our second

If it was to go as it stands
12 Johnson (I see freo taking Erasmus as they think he's potentially the next fyfe or Hobbs if still there)
20 Sinn (Just a west coast pick, likely to slide due to injury but after U16's was seen as a challenger for number 1 with Daicos particularly if JVR is gone)
31 Bazzo (or Hough or Butler if still there particularly if we get JVR)
46 Dittmar (or Knevitt but I suspect Geelong will pounce with one of their picks or Sheldrick if still available and now my preference of the two)
59 Rogers (I think he's either taken late draft or early rookie but gone before our first rookie pick)

Let's look at a worst case scenario for what this board rates and doesn't.
12. Amiss (injury hampered his end of year and is a bit of a one trick pony, however when that one trick is almost identical to how Jack Riewoldt has built a career if he's there we may consider him best available
20. Roberts (stocks have dropped and to me hasn't shown enough to say his game will translate to AFL level as anything more than a role player
31. Warner
46. Conway
59. Regan

Players to avoid.
Jack Williams
Wanganeen-Milera
Andrew
Any ruck In the main draft who'se not Conway (who I still rate at best as a second tier ruck)
Any of our NGA prospects in the main draft. To me they are rookies or cat b rookies at best.

Regarding the Lions picks I would not be gvinig up pick 10. Sure future 2nd but not 10.

Id love to see our 2021 pick 29 and our future 2nd for Lions 2021 18 and 41.

We use 10, 18, 35 and 41.

The two later picks become 33 and 39 after bids on Daicos and Darcy.

Nice spread.

What a surprise....all from WA. Lazy effort.
I was also disappointed it turned out like this tbh, but when it's a 50/50 call I'll go with the player from that teams state like I assume most clubs do

Erasmus is a gun half fwd, as he's a hard runner and strong overhead. He's got very good hands too.
He's a good midfielder, with good evasiveness, run and his hands.
His kicking in general play and for goal let's him down though.
His kicking for goal at least has improved a bunch from last year in his defence, but the field kicking is still suspect at times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suspect kicking doesn't sound like a Eagles pick at all.

How suspect?
From his player profile I did;
His kicking at times can be inconsistent, with his penetration and decision making generally sound but accuracy being something he can struggle with, particularly under pressure or on the run.

His kicking for goal at least has improved a bunch from last year in his defence, but the field kicking is still suspect at times
So is Erasmus being highly rated cause of his potential to be developed to be inside mid and his skill sets are valuable attributes for a mid?

So Constable will be delisted and we have the ex Geelong midfield coach in Knights who would have a pretty decent understanding of where the kid is at.

Quite a few wanted to draft him instead we went Ainsworth and now both are delisted.

Well now we know more and can sign him without using a pick, if we rate him.

Regarding the Lions picks I would not be gvinig up pick 10. Sure future 2nd but not 10.

Id love to see our 2021 pick 29 and our future 2nd for Lions 2021 18 and 41.

We use 10, 18, 35 and 41.

The two later picks become 33 and 39 after bids on Daicos and Darcy.

Nice spread.

I never suggested giving up 10 just our 10 will become 12. What I suggested is for Brisbane to go for it I'd think they would want our future second, future third and potentially 35. I'm happy for that 35 to drop back a bit as to me that's the third tier of this draft so little difference between 35 and 45/50 odd..

So Constable will be delisted and we have the ex Geelong midfield coach in Knights who would have a pretty decent understanding of where the kid is at.

Quite a few wanted to draft him instead we went Ainsworth and now both are delisted.

Doesn’t he have a shite tank? He won’t get a look in unless s**t truly hits the fan.

Would rather Bubba back.

I never suggested giving up 10 just our 10 will become 12. What I suggested is for Brisbane to go for it I'd think they would want our future second, future third and potentially 35. I'm happy for that 35 to drop back a bit as to me that's the third tier of this draft so little difference between 35 and 45/50 odd..

I was agreeing with you.

From having a look giving up 10 to get a late 1st and another 2nd I wonder if the value is there.

Keep 10 and gain a late 1st or 2nd with other pick swaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back