Opinion Canterbury and our guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Now lm not happy :mad: ..this was suppose to be a 1996 match worn premiership jumper and it not...The club conned me.. Thanks for bringing it to my attention..There's not much l can do about it now...Even when l collected it l think it was Greg Miller who said to me that l got a bargain at the price l paid for it...

You're in good company. Miller also duped the Sydney Swans many years ago. He was a master.

You're in good company. Miller also duped the Sydney Swans many years ago. He was a master.

He also screwed over Fitzroy Football Club and effectively ensured their carcass would be shipped to Brisbane.

3, 2, 1...

Seriously? You think we should wear this horror show instead of blue and white stripes? I guess it takes all types but I always felt the grey stripey Frankenstein abomination was the worst thing we have ever worn and only topped by some of the terrible jumpers Hawthorn has trotted out for all time worst VFL/AFL designs.

Same.
1. Traditional Strip
= 2. Reversed strip / 90's Kangaroo redux (a la the Hawthorn game a few years back)
3. The white V on blue for the odd change

The main reason I like the reversed white stripe on blue is that if push comes to shove and we had to wear an away strip to a Grand Final I reckon that is about the best traditional option.

Seriously? You think we should wear this horror show instead of blue and white stripes? I guess it takes all types but I always felt the grey stripey Frankenstein abomination was the worst thing we have ever worn and only topped by some of the terrible jumpers Hawthorn has trotted out for all time worst VFL/AFL designs.
I'm with you.

It's an abomination.

I always thought the strangest thing about that was they paired it with the black shorts and socks. Surely they should have been orange too, or at worst blue. The black was confusing especially against Collingwood.

Eddie McGuire was pissed off about that at the time and for one of the very few times in history, I agreed with what he was saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He also screwed over Fitzroy Football Club and effectively ensured their carcass would be shipped to Brisbane.

3, 2, 1...

What do you mean? I always thought it was the other jealous clubs concerned over making the best team in the league stronger.

What do you mean? I always thought it was the other jealous clubs concerned over making the best team in the league stronger.

Yeah it's a pretty wacky interpretation of history. Absolute most you could say is that we made Fitzroy willing to merge (with us) which made the eventual Brisbane merger easier. That only makes sense if you somehow think we never actually wanted to merge with them and just acted as a stalking horse for the AFL, which is ridiculous. they already essentially had control of Fitzroy's board, they didn't need us. Our merger would've gone through if it hadn't been stymied by other clubs (lead by Richmond) who were fearful of a super team.

Yeah it's a pretty wacky interpretation of history. Absolute most you could say is that we made Fitzroy willing to merge (with us) which made the eventual Brisbane merger easier. That only makes sense if you somehow think we never actually wanted to merge with them and just acted as a stalking horse for the AFL, which is ridiculous. they already essentially had control of Fitzroy's board, they didn't need us. Our merger would've gone through if it hadn't been stymied by other clubs (lead by Richmond) who were fearful of a super team.

Remember this whenever any other club talks about the minnows needing to get better crowds or improve their appeal - they don't actually want that to happen. They want us to remain small, weak and irrelevant. It's the football equivalent of politicians telling us to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, study IT and get a better job so we can afford that $2M house, they don't actually want it to happen and they sure as hell don't want it to cost them a single cent.

A certain former Fitzroy supporter is bound to arrive any minute now to correct all of this but IIRC...

Greg Miller taunted the Fitzroy directors, suggesting that they would not be represented on the merged club's board and also that their personal exposure to Fitzroy's debt may not be eliminated using the $6 million windfall that the AFL was offering. This opened the door to Brisbane. They offered a better deal in terms of the debt, but also regarding the playing list limits, which is what other clubs were concerned about. North Melbourne then matched Brisbane's offer on the playing list but it was too late... ultimately the receiver representing Nauru opted for Brisbane because they guaranteed that the debt would be fully repaid. The Fitzroy supporters and even the Fitzroy board were collateral damage with no say in the future of their own club.

When are puma going to roll out the gear? little barnrokn needs a hoody
After the x blades hoodie was awesome back in the day I changed my membership package to always include a hoodie, only for the quality to never quite match the original. There’s been some pretty ordinary ones over the journey and they are generally discounted almost before the season starts. Being a lazy bastard I finally got around to removing it from the automatic roll over this year so I suspect it will be back to a really quality product.

After the x blades hoodie was awesome back in the day I changed my membership package to always include a hoodie, only for the quality to never quite match the original. There’s been some pretty ordinary ones over the journey and they are generally discounted almost before the season starts. Being a lazy bastard I finally got around to removing it from the automatic roll over this year so I suspect it will be back to a really quality product.

The puma hoodies for Carlton and Richmond are good quality, we should finally get a decent one out of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back