Recruiting Draft Watch 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

So when does it all happen?

Seriously don't know why the whole trade period can't be done in a day. Have a deadline for submissions the day before.

Don't we need it for an attempt to trade for Ben King? He'll cost at least two firsts.
I dont know why we keep talking about trading for him, we wait until his contract ends and sign him as a FA, its not worth selling the farm for him when we could get him for free a couple years later

I dont know why we keep talking about trading for him, we wait until his contract ends and sign him as a FA, its not worth selling the farm for him when we could get him for free a couple years later
His contract ends next year but he won't be a Free Agent for another 4 years after that

The clubs strategy of draft the stars, trade for specific roles is pretty smart. Really hope we don’t deviate from that for King. As others have said, he’d cost a fortune and we have our own talls to develop.

Rachele and NWM are the two prospects im keen on. You'll get vanilla inside mids in every draft, and unless they have something that separates them from our current crop, I don't see why we should draft one with our prized first rounder. Not huge on Goater, but I understand the point of difference he brings, and could become a big asset. I feel like Rachele could be an elite small forward. A step above the Richmond fleet with his class. NWM, if he fills out and becomes less scared of contact, should be an amazing silky player, and his ball use could change games for us.
I just don't see the merit in taking a 180-184cm mid when we already have Parish, McGrath, Caldwell, Merrett and Shiel. The former 3 should have another good 8 or so years in them too. Depth for those positions can be acquired later in the draft, from state leagues or as DFA's. Our KPP stocks look good, and I think now we should focus on adding good decision makers with class.

Rachele and NWM are the two prospects im keen on. You'll get vanilla inside mids in every draft, and unless they have something that separates them from our current crop, I don't see why we should draft one with our prized first rounder. Not huge on Goater, but I understand the point of difference he brings, and could become a big asset. I feel like Rachele could be an elite small forward. A step above the Richmond fleet with his class. NWM, if he fills out and becomes less scared of contact, should be an amazing silky player, and his ball use could change games for us.
I just don't see the merit in taking a 180-184cm mid when we already have Parish, McGrath, Caldwell, Merrett and Shiel. The former 3 should have another good 8 or so years in them too. Depth for those positions can be acquired later in the draft, from state leagues or as DFA's. Our KPP stocks look good, and I think now we should focus on adding good decision makers with class.
Inside mids we've drafted over the past 10 years:

Perkins (maybe), Hibberd (who we played on a wing), McGrath, Clarke (who we play forward), Parish, Will Hams, Kavanagh, O'Brien. Of these, two have ade the grade. Both early picks.

Small forwards are an asset we've seen over all drafts as something you can find later in the draft. Any sensible draft strategy would have us focusing on players like Goater or Johnson early (I like Wanganeen-Milera as well) and then look at the likes of Paul Curtis or Jahmal Stretch or the like later in the draft.

To quell your fears then, Goater stands at 190cm and is noted to be a great decision maker.

Meh. I reckon Perkins has Gold Coast showboat and beach lad written all over him. Not that I want to get rid of him, just that he seems coast loose.
He said a year ago that he doesn't want to leave Victoria...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get some decent development out of Bryan, I could still see him being brought in to partner Chol. Maybe Shiel might like to finish up up there, too.
Yeah but then we have little to no ruck depth if Draper goes down. And if he's good enough that GCS would accept him as part of a trade for someone like King would we not be better to keep him and the other picks we'd be handing over?

Inside mids we've drafted over the past 10 years:

Perkins (maybe), Hibberd (who we played on a wing), McGrath, Clarke (who we play forward), Parish, Will Hams, Kavanagh, O'Brien. Of these, two have ade the grade. Both early picks.

Small forwards are an asset we've seen over all drafts as something you can find later in the draft. Any sensible draft strategy would have us focusing on players like Goater or Johnson early (I like Wanganeen-Milera as well) and then look at the likes of Paul Curtis or Jahmal Stretch or the like later in the draft.
I like the look of NWM too but I think we need Goater or Johnson more too. Ideally would be able to take one of them and then trade into a pick to land NWM.

Yeah but then we have little to no ruck depth if Draper goes down. And if he's good enough that GCS would accept him as part of a trade for someone like King would we not be better to keep him and the other picks we'd be handing over?
It might be possible to pick up a Phillips type cheaply by then. I take your point though, and a solid Draper-Bryan combo would be awesome. Baldwin's progress is still the main deciding factor in this for me.

It might be possible to pick up a Phillips type cheaply by then. I take your point though, and a solid Draper-Bryan combo would be awesome. Baldwin's progress is still the main deciding factor in this for me.
Dodoro mentioned in an interview that Reid might even play forward so if thats the case there seems to be more KPD free agents coming up than KPF.

I had a dream last night we drafted Robin Williams with pick 11. Even in my dream it seemed like a bit of a reach.

Have watched Rachele’s highlight reel a couple of times now….I’m just not seeing it at n terms of him being a top ten pick. Looks neat and compact but not quite as zippy as you’d like and havent seen anything that looks like real X factor.

I saw eDPS had us taking him in a phantom draft so went and looked at his highlights video from SANFL reserves. Wow

Always a fan of the hyperbolic comparison... reminds me of a young Wanganeen.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back