Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

21st in games played in North's history.
5th in Syd Barker Medal 2012. 10th in 2014, '17 and '19.
Goal of the Year nominee 2016 against Richmond.
Career high 29 possessions against Port Adelaide, Rd 22 2019.
Career high 3 goals against Carlton, Rd 4, 2018.

Best wishes Shaun in your future endeavors.

234 more games than me, so I envy him for that. But two top ten B&F finishes in a 10 plus year career where you barely miss a game probably best sums up his ability.

Was an honest trier, and I respect him for what he achieved, but the writing was on the wall. Wish him well though.

edit: 4 B&F top ten's, so better than I thought. Still average though.

Thanks Shaun. Not a career to be sniffed at - you don't just get lucky with genetics and barely miss a game. There's plenty of hard work that has gone in, same for Dumont.

You have to admire the bloke, he has my respect. We’d be doing well to have every player come through the place and show the same level of dedication.

He sent my Nan a lovely personalised birthday card once, so it’s fair to say he was her favourite. She’d be on the phone with me and roasting the list management team alive if she was still with us.

Still insane to me that Atley played over 200 games, even though I probably watched them all. Didn't think he'd get delisted this year, but there ya go. Maybe they'll find him a desk next to JMac.

Although many North Supporters including myself may have indulged in the 'Whipping Boy' status that Atley accumulated, it must be said that 237 Games is an impressive feat, especially at one club. Farewell Shaun, you may not have lived up to external expectations placed around your Guernsey Number but you will be remembered for your role in those finals runs in 2014-15.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't do a good job of farewelling our players, not sure a slapped by gif and a video really cuts the mustard.

Maybe it's because players who should retire don't and need a nudge, still, it just doesn't sit well for me.

I've been a critic for oft-stated reasons, but I'm sad for Ats the person, who seems like a great bloke who gave his all for the club. Wishing him all the best in the future. Hope he gets another top level gig.
Met him a few times. He does indeed seem like a great bloke. Hope he does well in the future footywise and otherwise.

Good luck Shaun with your future.

not going to lie I was also one that gave you a kick every now and then, but I do wish I could play one game for North let alone over 230 you did well mate.

Look at how the Eagles did it with Brander and he has barely played 30 odd games.
You mean the guy who was the only person to be delisted by them today? Yeah, no wonder they didn't wait til they'd talked to the others o_O

Anyway, congrats Ats on a great career. You don't make it to 200+ without a bit of talent.

Combination of a bit of coaching inconsistency along the journey and from a personal standpoint not capitalizing on some of your better attributes (we always wanted to consistently see that pace off halfback) probably the only reason you don't have a gig for next year with the COVID squeeze on lists.

Shinboner for life.

Thank you Shaun Atley. Over 200+ Games for the Club we love is a great effort. Yes we all lost our patience with you at times and wondered why you where getting games but in the end you gave all you could.
Good Luck for the Future.

We don't do a good job of farewelling our players, not sure a slapped by gif and a video really cuts the mustard.

Maybe it's because players who should retire don't and need a nudge, still, it just doesn't sit well for me.
Respectfully, what would you propose instead? We certainly don't have a stellar track record recently but not sure what more could be done at the moment.

Thank you Shaun Atley. All the best for your future endevours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back