Toast Regional Roos Thread - Down on the farm Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to do the same with smaller paddocks for rotation, but just haven't had the time with Covid restrictions, access and funds.
Iam hearing you there. I work full time as well. And the new property we just moved to needs a bomb of work. Iike yourself the paddocks are tired. Stockyards need work. Want to put reticulated stock water in and have the stock drinking from troughs rather than directly from the dams.

So with the long range forecast for cooler than normal summer temps and higher than average rainfall, plus entering a La Nina pattern - how do you regional folk feel about that?
Sure beats drought. 4 years ago we had a summer where it literally didnt rain from mid December through to May. its inconvenient not being able to get bulk trucks onto the paddocks or havnt really been able to spray out a lot of weed this season but i will take that over drought in a heatbeat. we are on a new property and i would like to see a dry season to assess what water infrastructure needs upgrading first. gonna be hard to get that data this season based on the forcasts. i suspect all the dams will last the dry season this/next year.

So with the long range forecast for cooler than normal summer temps and higher than average rainfall, plus entering a La Nina pattern - how do you regional folk feel about that?
Great. No fires for a year or two.

I think the forecast was for SE Aus, so will assume Vic and parts of SA and southern NSW.
If you draw a line from the western side of the Eyre peninsula to Rockhampton that is pretty much SE Australia, officially. At least according to wine producers. It sounds a bit crazy till you look properly at a map of the country and then it actually makes perfect sense.

swings and roundabouts, opposite issue is you will get a lot of fuel buildup in the wetter years to dry out the next dry year.
Yes but that seems to happen anyway, and frankly .... its more complicated than that.

Wytalibah was wiped out a bit over two years ago and they had regular HR burns. if there is enough rain where I live alot of the fuel mulches and rots anyway.

To be honest I try not to worry about the weather as I can’t control it even though loosing lambs due to bad weather seems to be getting tougher as I get older but there is nothing I can do about that
I have been on the land all my life and have gone through droughts & flooding in mid summer
I plan to have enough hay/silage/grain on hand for 2 years in advance

To be honest I try not to worry about the weather as I can’t control it even though loosing lambs due to bad weather seems to be getting tougher as I get older but there is nothing I can do about that
I have been on the land all my life and have gone through droughts & flooding in mid summer
I plan to have enough hay/silage/grain on hand for 2 years in advance

Dip's me lid to 'ya Em 👍🙂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but that seems to happen anyway, and frankly .... its more complicated than that.

Wytalibah was wiped out a bit over two years ago and they had regular HR burns. if there is enough rain where I live alot of the fuel mulches and rots anyway.
Just googled wytalibah ferbs. Surely a nice spot looking at the location.

Just googled wytalibah ferbs. Surely a nice spot looking at the location.
It was a nice spot. It was a hippie community built on an old cattle farm but it got wiped out, like so many small towns back then.

It was less than 2 years ago but it seems like 10.

How did our fellow regional Roos survive the storms
We had over 50 ml here
Right in the middle of shearing unfortunately lost a handful of sheep but managed to save a few as well
I have a busy weekend in front of me as we have nearly 20 trees down on fences but seeing what many others have suffered with damage I think we came through it reasonably well

We had over 50 ml here
Right in the middle of shearing unfortunately lost a handful of sheep but managed to save a few as well
I have a busy weekend in front of me as we have nearly 20 trees down on fences but seeing what many others have suffered with damage I think we came through it reasonably well
Hardly any rain but lost 3 trees. 2 internal and one on boundary fence.

We had over 50 ml here
Had a couple of trees come down, nothing much there, but one of my pump houses collapsed and broke a pipe sending 80k liters of water down the hill ;(

It is nuts now. I sold a halter trained cow and calf, as a house cow, for 4K last week!
Really wonder where the ceiling is. I did see a pair of belted Galloway steers go pretty cheap however. I do like belties however they are not really a great commercial proposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back