The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

If he didn't believe it, he could have resigned.
He went into the reasons why he didn't resign in his memoirs. IIRC the biggest reason was that he was one of the very few who could argue with Dubya against Rumsfeld and Cheney and try to keep them in check. He thought at the time that if he left things would have been much worse long term for the country with the extremists in the Republican Party having even more control.

Watched the first couple of episodes of Bad Sport on Netflix last night. Worth a watch. The Juve stuff with Moggi is unbelievable. I still don't know how that bloke had so much power over everyone.
Literally watched the first episode during dinner, weird timing. Don't care about basketball at all but it was still really good.
Looking forward to the rest.

FFS. Just another reason I have lost almost all interest in cricket, especially the Aussie Cricket. Seems like after the Boon/Border generation, the Baggy Green kept producing Pillocks who have turned out to be shocking human beings (Shane Warne being a prime example)

Literally watched the first episode during dinner, weird timing. Don't care about basketball at all but it was still really good.
Looking forward to the rest.
It really was. Only now that college athletes can get paid through their likeness will this be avoided. I couldn't help but feel that fixing games could have been done many times over the years without anyone finding out.

There have been documentaries on the Tim Donaghy scandal in the past but I was surprised that it wasn't included in the Bad Sport series. Although they could do a second season I guess and maybe didn't want two basketball scandals in the same season.

Late to the party but amazing effort. Go Straya 🇦🇺. Testament to what a high functioning, well coordinated health system can achieve.

What are people’s thoughts in the vax mandates? WA seems to be going berserk over it based on SM but it’s usually a vocal minority that gets seen.

All about passing that ‘proportionate and reasonable’ test, right?

I’ve always thought it needs to be assessed on a case by case basis, and don’t think government issued mandates are necessary across all occupations, but looking at the list of industries covered by the WA mandate I think you could make a pretty compelling case for each of them.

I also think over time most private businesses will introduce similar policies for staff/customers/clients anyway, and I have no objection to this. For me the right to work/shop/etc in a safe space should supercede the rights of people who, for reasons not backed by science, choose not to be vaccinated. Business owners also risk disruption/loss of income if unvaccinated staff are directed to isolate, and they shouldn’t be obliged to accept this risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve always thought it needs to be assessed on a case by case basis, and don’t think government issued mandates are necessary across all occupations, but looking at the list of industries covered by the WA mandate I think you could make a pretty compelling case for each of them.

I also think over time most private businesses will introduce similar policies for staff/customers/clients anyway, and I have no objection to this. For me the right to work/shop/etc in a safe space should supercede the rights of people who, for reasons not backed by science, choose not to be vaccinated. Business owners also risk disruption/loss of income if unvaccinated staff are directed to isolate, and they shouldn’t be obliged to accept this risk.

This is it in a nutshell for me. I have a right to be able to go into the place I work and not feel exposed to unnecessary risk of catching COVID through no fault of my own.

I think you succinctly summed up my thoughts on it and how I feel. I actually get quite triggered reading all the comments at times from people who think they know better especially as my cousins write anti-gov/vax responses on posts.

This is it in a nutshell for me. I have a right to be able to go into the place I work and not feel exposed to unnecessary risk of catching COVID through no fault of my own.
I'm also concerned that I could unknowingly have COVID and spread it to an unvaccinated colleague which results in serious health consequences for them. Would feel awful.

I have never been one to get flu vaccines in the past as I don't get sick much at all when coming down with a flu.

But im happy to get one if my employer wants me to and happy to have gotten fully vaccinated to get back to work as I work in an office building with probably 30-40 different companies with employees from all over Melbourne sharing the same common areas.

I have never been one to get flu vaccines in the past as I don't get sick much at all when coming down with a flu.

But im happy to get one if my employer wants me to and happy to have gotten fully vaccinated to get back to work as I work in an office building with probably 30-40 different companies with employees from all over Melbourne sharing the same common areas.

Yeah I've never traditionally bothered with the flu vaccine as I tend to get sicker with the vaccine than without, and it's not as much of a health risk as COVID poses. But similar, if my employer insisted I get it before turning up to work I'd be happy to get it.

Who cares if you don't get so sick with the flu? It's literally the same idea as the covid vaccine...

The logic is mind boggling

Who cares if you don't get so sick with the flu? It's literally the same idea as the covid vaccine...

The logic is mind boggling

It's not really the same though given the virulence and death rate of the flu is far, far lower. Otherwise we'd go into a lockdown every time there was a new strain of the flu, wouldn't we?

I'm uneasy about vaccine mandates except in certain industries (health care etc).

Understand why people want it, but I think the negatives outweigh the positives.

And I do wonder about the effect on society the effective restriction on significant numbers of people from working will have.

I think there's also a lot we don't know about the vaccines such as how long are they effective for, and will they still be as effective as we see new strains. Proof of vaccination status might end up a bit meaningless.

I'm uneasy about vaccine mandates except in certain industries (health care etc).

Understand why people want it, but I think the negatives outweigh the positives.

And I do wonder about the effect on society the effective restriction on significant numbers of people from working will have.

I think there's also a lot we don't know about the vaccines such as how long are they effective for, and will they still be as effective as we see new strains. Proof of vaccination status might end up a bit meaningless.
But one thing is known - it's better than not being vaccinated.

Most vaccines aren’t effective long term though. You need a new flu shot each year so I always am baffled by this excuse.

There’s very rarely long-term effects either. “Full protection” kicks in after two weeks.

Most vaccines aren’t effective long term though. You need a new flu shot each year so I always am baffled by this excuse.

There’s very rarely long-term effects either. “Full protection” kicks in after two weeks.
An excuse?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back