Covid 19 (OPEN DISCUSSION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes you think I walk away?

Just don't seem to comment much after the OP, or moderate the thread as much as others. Not a criticism btw, glad to see you posting a reply. Can I go on record please that I don't have a problem with any of the mods on here even the badge, 99% of the comments I have on moderation here is light hearted banter. There is a tension between mods and posters, you guys joke about it all the time and I though I made a pretty clear joke above about the thread being a set up and elaborate ruse designed to trick posters into talking about Nazi's and it appears that thats being taken literally as a dig at mods. Unreal that that is taken as anything other than engaging in board memes. Lets lighten up peeps.

I'm surprised the AFL didn't copy the NFL and say that if you got covid while unvaccinated the team forfeited the match impacted.

The alternative was to require overly intrusive testing, say once every day at the club unless vaccinated.

One pressures the team to themselves require players to be vaccinated, the other just makes it pretty undesirable to be unvaccinated. Neither have a direct mandate.

I'm surprised the AFL didn't copy the NFL and say that if you got covid while unvaccinated the team forfeited the match impacted.

The alternative was to require overly intrusive testing, say once every day at the club unless vaccinated.

One pressures the team to themselves require players to be vaccinated, the other just makes it pretty undesirable to be unvaccinated. Neither have a direct mandate.

I don't think they need to copy though because in 2022 it seems like every player will be double vaccinated. What is interesting from my perspective for next season is what the arrangements are going to be for players who catch covid during the season. Its obvious that this will happen once we are open to covid so does the AFL intend to test the players regularly regardless? What happens to the player and the team when a positive result comes back? Can players play with covid? Do teams go into lockdown if exposed to covid? So many details that need addressing

I'm beginning to think Moose fears the Enter key as well.

lol. I did that deliberately for your enjoyment and because hopefully less people will read that post due to its wall of text nature. Move on.

Kelly Slater - not anti-vax. Anti medical mandates

Just don't seem to comment much after the OP, or moderate the thread as much as others.
I always view the comments in the thread but yes you’re correct, I don’t make comments back. Not walking away however.

Moderating the thread(s) however I disagree with this. It’s just done quietly and efficiently from me. You just never see it 😉

My understanding of the NFL system is if a player misses a game due to covid their team can’t replace them or basically have any sort of compensation/do over.

I presume if enough players in a team have it that it impacts the match going ahead then yeah they’d probably have to forfeit.

Work supplied Dell Optiplex 9020, exact specs are unknown but I'm sure if you're really interested you could google it. Monitor is a Dell P2214H using a fairly standard 1080p res. Browser is Firefox, using default zoom settings.
I thought people using Firefox was just an Eagles board meme.

FMD why would you start a thread for this topic... #goodluck

Vaccine mandates for players is topical so it follows that people will want to discuss it. It’s also an emotive issue so opinions will naturally be divided. Better to have the discussion in one thread than have it spread across other threads where people would prefer not to be scrolling through unrelated posts.

Previous threads on covid have been allowed to run and were closed when they either devolved too far or in the case of the lizard man thread were no longer relevant

We try to let people have their say, whether or not we agree with their views and prefer not to over moderate as much as possible- inevitably some will think we do just that whilst others will think we don’t do enough

In the end this thread will run whilst vaccine mandates are an issue and people who aren’t interested in discussing it can avoid the thread

Kelly Slater - not anti-vax. Anti medical mandates

Slater responded to Poole’s comment at length.

“(Poole) let me explain why your analogy makes no sense,” Slater began.

“If I know the risks (informed consent) and I judge the choice to be one that benefits/hurts me based on stats and info and my own ability (health), I can choose accordingly,” he said.
The 11-time world champion went on to claim he didn’t believe the “official science”.
“And for people saying ‘listen to the doctors’, I’m positive I know more about being healthy than 99 per cent of doctors, but I wouldn’t trust me. But most of my COVID info comes directly from doctor friends, many of them in disagreement with the official ‘science’,” he said.
“I had another of many friends have horrible reactions to the vaccine just today. She thought she was dying and fears her quality of life has changed in the past few days for good.
“My mom also is part of those under-reported stats. Other friends have literally died from it. So anyone here shaming people who are affected or concerned does nothing but feed the ego.”

I mean, he's not wrong lol.

Still waiting to hear from anyone who's got a better understanding of the AFL mandate whether there is a back door or loophole in which players can obtain medical exemption from their GP to not be jabbed. It is certainly the case that there is far from universal agreement among the medical profession as to the efficacy of vaccinating young and healthy people. Dr's do not give medical advice to their patients by asking "whats best for society here?" as their first question, they ask "what is best for my patient here?'' and there would be many, many GP's who remain unconvinced on these issues.

I know that personally my GP does not recommend Pfizer for me. He doesn't have a problem with the AZ but what is interesting is that the TGA still recommends against me taking AZ, so presumably if I want a medical exemption it would not be difficult to obtain one on the logic that some medical authority says both the available vaccines are unsuitable for me. I'll probably still take the AZ, but that is a personal choice.

Genuinely fascinated what the legal ins and outs are here regarding advice players receive from private Dr's vs Club Dr's vs the AFL as an employer. There absolutely must be a backdoor surely? In what world would a player acting upon medical advice from his GP not to take the vaccine for his individual health not be able to play? For all these industries where the mandates exist, so too does the potential to get an exemption doesn't it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol. I did that deliberately for your enjoyment and because hopefully less people will read that post due to its wall of text nature. Move on.
This is the first post of yours I have read in its entirity.
Especially liked the "." After your opening sentence.

Well before the pandemic we all had a pretty good idea through experience what vaccines did.

Most so call anti-vaxers have had all their vaccinations bar the covid vax

Now the goal posts have been moved significantly as to what a vaccine should do to the point i think they even re wrote the definition of vaccine .

So, tell me what a vaccine does.

If a sportsman doesn't want to get vaccinated, they should have no problem with daily testing whilst in competition.

It's not a particularly intrusive process.

With fines if they catch and spread, and suspensions if their competition gets shut down.

I think that is a more than fair compromise.

Slater responded to Poole’s comment at length.

“(Poole) let me explain why your analogy makes no sense,” Slater began.

“If I know the risks (informed consent) and I judge the choice to be one that benefits/hurts me based on stats and info and my own ability (health), I can choose accordingly,” he said.
The 11-time world champion went on to claim he didn’t believe the “official science”.
“And for people saying ‘listen to the doctors’, I’m positive I know more about being healthy than 99 per cent of doctors, but I wouldn’t trust me. But most of my COVID info comes directly from doctor friends, many of them in disagreement with the official ‘science’,” he said.
“I had another of many friends have horrible reactions to the vaccine just today. She thought she was dying and fears her quality of life has changed in the past few days for good.
“My mom also is part of those under-reported stats. Other friends have literally died from it. So anyone here shaming people who are affected or concerned does nothing but feed the ego.”

I mean, he's not wrong lol.

Still waiting to hear from anyone who's got a better understanding of the AFL mandate whether there is a back door or loophole in which players can obtain medical exemption from their GP to not be jabbed. It is certainly the case that there is far from universal agreement among the medical profession as to the efficacy of vaccinating young and healthy people. Dr's do not give medical advice to their patients by asking "whats best for society here?" as their first question, they ask "what is best for my patient here?'' and there would be many, many GP's who remain unconvinced on these issues.

I know that personally my GP does not recommend Pfizer for me. He doesn't have a problem with the AZ but what is interesting is that the TGA still recommends against me taking AZ, so presumably if I want a medical exemption it would not be difficult to obtain one on the logic that some medical authority says both the available vaccines are unsuitable for me. I'll probably still take the AZ, but that is a personal choice.

Genuinely fascinated what the legal ins and outs are here regarding advice players receive from private Dr's vs Club Dr's vs the AFL as an employer. There absolutely must be a backdoor surely? In what world would a player acting upon medical advice from his GP not to take the vaccine for his individual health not be able to play? For all these industries where the mandates exist, so too does the potential to get an exemption doesn't it?
WTF is a mega - Influencer ?

“ "It's a tough one," Naitanui told SEN.

"I've always been for everyone having a choice. But when it comes to the vaccination - I've got both of my needles.

"And like a lot of other people have said, I'm not really getting the vaccination for myself, I'm getting it for others who are more vulnerable.”

This is the first post of yours I have read in its entirity.
Especially liked the "." After your opening sentence.

I'd encourage you to read more of my content, especially the longer form stuff. Truth be told I always wished I could of been a sports journalist which is why I try so hard for you guys to post up article length content. Sadly, just never had the nostrils for it unfortunately.

When I look around though and see so many people so desperate to engage that I have half a dozen replies this afternoon on my punctuation alone... that kind of validation is tough to find in the real world. Thanks guyz, it means so much.

Work supplied Dell Optiplex 9020, exact specs are unknown but I'm sure if you're really interested you could google it. Monitor is a Dell P2214H using a fairly standard 1080p res. Browser is Firefox, using default zoom settings.

9020? Do you still have to use a crank to start it up in the mornings?

I don't think they need to copy though because in 2022 it seems like every player will be double vaccinated. What is interesting from my perspective for next season is what the arrangements are going to be for players who catch covid during the season. Its obvious that this will happen once we are open to covid so does the AFL intend to test the players regularly regardless? What happens to the player and the team when a positive result comes back? Can players play with covid? Do teams go into lockdown if exposed to covid? So many details that need addressing

Will probably treated the same way now if a player gets gastro/flu/other

Player in question gets isolated, rest of the players go on per normal and are monitored for any symptoms they develop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back