Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
The three media darlings: Geelong, Essendon, Carlton
Carlton a media darling? For every positive article, there's 10 negative ones.
Just look at the way they reported both the Buckley and Teague sackings. The Carlton and Collingwood board problems and their respective searches for a new coach.

TheUnicorn

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Either Carlton or Geelong

Carlton : Mostly their fanbase.

Geelong : I dislike Selwood a lot he ducks, flops around and complains to umpires constantly whilst still somehow being constantly praised by football personalities as one of the model players of our decade. Hawkins is similar always whinging to the umpires ( incredible player though) and their coach is the worst of the lot. Plus it annoys me that they have been somewhat competitive for over a decade..... just go away all ready!

Last edited:

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Geelong because Dangerfield seems like a flog with his comb over haircut, pulled up socks and staging for frees. And he always gets light tribunal sentences due to him being head of the AFLPA. Also, accompanied by Selwood the king of all duckers. Also Chris Scott for being probably the biggest flog in the AFL with his ego and immaturity with being incapable of handling his own emotions on game day or in post match press conferences.
Don’t disagree with either. You just know with an ego as big as his that Dangerfield probably owns a pair of those socks with his face on it that they sell in the supermarket.

edit - only just noticed what you said about Selwood.. I mean Id probably despise him if I didn’t go for Geelong so also fair.

May 31, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
It use to be Carlton but now I just feel sorry for them. I was thinking West Coast but their supporters were great when it came to supporting us when we made the GF. St Kilda are basically are non-entity so that rules them out. Has anyone seen “Bad Sport” on Netflix? I don’t count GWS and GC as clubs. Next season will apparently feature the 2016 finals and GF, watch out for it. Probably Collingwood or Essendon.
Non entity.....Lol more members and fans than your mob............Will still have more members this year even after wa triumph

Essendon and North have history going back to when North was a VFA powerhouse and trying to get admitted to the VFL. It was not uncommon for North's better players to leave the VFA and join Essendon in the VFL, due to their geographic proximity. Essendon opposed North entering the competition around the time Richmond joined the VFL, and North had to wait until 1925, winning the flags in 1910, 1914, 1915, 1918. North set the record of 58 consecutive wins from 1914-1919, but still couldn't get into the VFL, despite being able to defeat the top VFL sides in the "club championships"

Our B&F award, named after our captain of the "invincibles", Syd Barker, left North after it was decided North and Essendon would merge in 1921. He joined Essendon, and was stuck, after the merger was blocked. He ended up being a dual Essendon premiership captain and coach (1923/1924). It's a little ironic he played more games for Essendon in the VFL than North (came out of retirement in 1927 and played 9 games).

Melbourne and society back then was a bit more divided by religion and class, and I have heard that Essendon was Protestant and North was working class Catholic, so that may have increased the rivalry.

All this history means nothing to Essendon fans, but as North fans, we have had a long struggle. It took 50 years, and we were the last of the 12 VFL teams to win a premiership. So there has been a long time to mull over past events. More recently, Essendon and North had a good rivalry in the 90s, but older supporters will say the dislike of Essendon may be due to a combination of the events when North tried to join the VFL, plus being jealous of Essendon's success.
the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Peak offseason thread.

Essendon for me.

Growing up in the area it's simply some of their fans that spoiled it for me. A decent chunk of them are one-eyed flogs who care for their club and only their club. They have no interest in footy in general and overhype their mob to a point that it's unbearable.

Philth

Club Legend
Feb 4, 2008
Geraldton
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
Peak offseason thread.

Essendon for me.

Growing up in the area it's simply some of their fans that spoiled it for me. A decent chunk of them are one-eyed flogs who care for their club and only their club. They have no interest in footy in general and overhype their mob to a point that it's unbearable.
Yep, fans like that are literally unbearable.
I've known quite a few Collingwood ones like that, and a few Freo fans over here too that are so fixated on the club that it's bizarre.
They know very little about other clubs and their players, but hate them with a passion.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
Crows. Largely because I'm born and bred SA, but don't go for them. So can't stand the hype/entitlement from fans and pro Crows media. Losing Dawson, probably equal favourite player to them doesn't help, but I probably couldn't have liked them less anyway (I hope he does well, but the team doesn't).

Pies and Bombers next on the list, largely just the usual favourites to knock - but Eddie's reign (and targeting of us/our players), and the whole supplements saga with Essendon, just added to it.

No-one else I actively dislike, but always good to get wins over the Hawks and Dogs for obvious, recent reasons.

avignon

Senior List
Oct 8, 2004
Other Teams
ESSENDON
I don't think Essendon were that much disliked prior the 90's. Since then and the Drugs/ supplements saga of the last decade has increased the hatred from footy fans.
Was just a Club being made an example of to scare off others, but it got out of control. Yes, Dons are guilty. Don't dare dig too deeply with other clubs. Some players elsewhere have even admitted playing under various 'influences'.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was responding to the poster being a Melb supporter who was having a go at the saints not hard to work that out......
You don’t have more supporters than them either.

Dogs, us, Gold Coast, Brisbane and GWS.

Congratulations you are the 13th biggest Club in the Comp and equal 14th most successful.

May 31, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
You don’t have more supporters than them either.

Dogs, us, Gold Coast, Brisbane and GWS.

Congratulations you are the 13th biggest Club in the Comp and equal 14th most successful.
You miss the point Einstein,it had nothing to do with being big or successful,it was in regards to mfc directly and yes we do have more supporters than melb,we had more members this year and will next year even after there flag........but who cares anyway,just a fact....

Back