Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, apologies I’m slow on comprehension uptake. How do you propose to get them out of your lives?
I already told you.

Sorry pal, I’m not buying your disingenuous line of enquiry. Pretending to be concerned about the level of discourse around the topic while telling another poster you don’t give a * what they say. Rool classy.

I already told you.

Sorry pal, I’m not buying your disingenuous line of enquiry. Pretending to be concerned about the level of discourse around the topic while telling another poster you don’t give a fu** what they say. Rool classy.
So how do you propose to get them out of your lives?

Previously, I didn’t think Federal anti-religious discrimination legislation was necessary. But I’ve since changed my mind.

How?

Isolate? Segregate? Expel? Worse perhaps?
Previously, I didn’t think Federal anti-religious discrimination legislation was necessary. But I’ve since changed my mind.
Over-reaction again. Almost like you’re not interested in calm dispassionate debate.

Over-reaction again. Almost like you’re not interested in calm dispassionate debate.
I think it’s gone beyond that point. There’s some worrying signs. I’ve read derogatory remarks and jokes made about tbose of faith in various threads; as though its become rather normalised acceptable behaviour to relate to them in that way. There’s even a poster gloating about threatening to put his/her fist through a Christian’s face because of recent introduction of the religious anti-discrimination Bill. Thats not acceptable. My responses in here today are in no small way a result of that.

I think it’s gone beyond that point. There’s some worrying signs. I’ve read derogatory remarks and jokes made about tbose of faith in various threads; as though its become rather normalised acceptable behaviour to relate to them in that way. There’s even a poster gloating about threatening to put his/her fist through a Christian’s face because of recent introduction of the religious anti-discrimination Bill. Thats not acceptable. My responses in here today are in no small way a result of that.
I haven't seen that but yeah, well there's a lot of anger towards religious institutions out there right now.

Affecting to be of a higher moral cut whilst in reality being a haven for kiddy fiddlers will do that.

Personally I think until religious institutions can pretty much guarantee they have 100% rid themselves of the scourge of child abuse they should take a backseat role in our society.

1 John 1:8
8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

And am I supposed to take any notice of the contents of an ancient text that was written between AD 90–110, 40-60 years after the events it purports to descrtibe? And moreover a text that is purely theological and pushes an agenda that Jesus was supposedly the Messiah and his coming fulfilled ancient Jewish scripture. The Gospels are clearly written with a clear agenda to proselytize.

The Gospel of Roylion Chapter 2 Verse 16 says that "Roy of the mighty Lion is without sin and forever he shall remain sinless."

Good enough for me.

Thanks Rosscoe, I appreciate you taking the time to pen a lengthy reply, but I can’t say I really understand much of it.

I don’t believe in “god”. Consequently I don’t believe in sin. (I do believe in “temptation” but this is nothing more than the issues of self-control that everyone faces, theist or atheist.)

I’m glad to hear that you consider this thing you call “god” is faithful. You Christians believe it created the entire universe so you’d want to think at the very least it could be faithful.

A lot of what you’re describing as signs/guidance from god I would personally describe as classic confirmation bias, but I’m happy it works for you.

One day you may challenge your assumptions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And am I supposed to take any notice of the contents of an ancient text that was written between AD 90–110, 40-60 years after the events it purports to descrtibe? And moreover a text that is purely theological and pushes an agenda that Jesus was supposedly the Messiah and his coming fulfilled ancient Jewish scripture. The Gospels are clearly written with a clear agenda to proselytize.

The Gospel of Roylion Chapter 2 Verse 16 says that "Roy of the mighty Lion is without sin and forever he shall remain sinless."

Good enough for me.

The science says that we have not evolved from chimpanzees.

How do you feel about bible passages that are sexist, racist, and discriminatory towards atheists? Should those passages be banned from the bible? Should all beliefs be respected irrespective of their validity? Should young Earth creationism be respected?

You ask a lot of questions. Let's see if you're equally adept at answering them.

The science says that we have not evolved from chimpanzees.

It called common descent. Chimpanzees are our cousins not our ancestors. Please learn the theory of evolution properly.

Chimpanzees and humans share at least 98.8% of the same DNA. We've known this since 2005 when geneticists sequenced the chimpanzee genome. Bonobos and chimpanzees share 99.6% of their DNA. We know that the ancestral population of apes that gave rise to humans, chimps, numbered about 27,000 breeding individuals about 4 million years ago. The common ancestor of bonobos and chimps existed about 1 million years ago. All humans share 99.9% of the same DNA.

Anything else you'd like to know?

I can quote more from the Gospel of Roylion if you like.

Last edited:
One day you may challenge your assumptions.
Mate I've spent my whole life challenging the Christian assumptions that were unquestioningly drummed into me. I'm nearly 60 and it's only the last few years I can honestly say I've finally gotten the burden of that upbringing (which I did not ask for) off my shoulders. Highly doubt I'm going back at this late stage.

If you believe in funny s**t, I'm going to laugh at you.

Mate I've spent my whole life challenging the Christian assumptions that were unquestioningly drummed into me. I'm nearly 60 and it's only the last few years I can honestly say I've finally gotten the burden of that upbringing (which I did not ask for) off my shoulders. Highly doubt I'm going back at this late stage.

Sorry SBD..I meant it like you were assuming my bias was the reason for my belief. I was trying to explain my faith not try to convince you of anything.

How do you feel about bible passages that are sexist, racist, and discriminatory towards atheists? Should those passages be banned from the bible? Should all beliefs be respected irrespective of their validity? Should young Earth creationism be respected?

You ask a lot of questions. Let's see if you're equally adept at answering them.
It’s not relevant.

It called common descent. Chimpanzees are our cousins not our ancestors. Please learn the theory of evolution properly.

Chimpanzees and humans share at least 98.8% of the same DNA. We've known this since 2005 when geneticists sequenced the chimpanzee genome. Bonobos and chimpanzees share 99.6% of their DNA. We know that the ancestral population of apes that gave rise to humans, chimps, numbered about 27,000 breeding individuals about 4 million years ago. The common ancestor of bonobos and chimps existed about 1 million years ago. All humans share 99.9% of the same DNA.

Anything else you'd like to know?

I can quote more from the Gospel of Roylion if you like.

But the connection between the monkey skulls and humans has not been made. Nothing has been proven. Two chimpanzees can’t mate and produce anything other than chimpanzees. Any scientist would agree.

But the connection between the monkey skulls and humans has not been made. Nothing has been proven. Two chimpanzees can’t mate and produce anything other than chimpanzees. Any scientist would agree.

Don't-cha-know....the other 1.2% comes from belief.
But its not like that belief in God thing that isn't supported by science, this is fair dinkum belief albeit not supported by science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back