Player Watch #17: Jake Bowey – signed to 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

wheaters31

Debutant
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
This kid has such an underrated leap on him. Turned out to be a very good matchup for Weightman.

Composed, and kicks darts. A number of his short sharp kicks were critical.

Another great selection from JT.

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
What can you say, echo Maysie's words, most composed 7 gamer seen in a while. That little chip to Gus in the 3rd...my god.

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
fantastic news. A bit of a shame that Jackson hasn't resigned yet. We need to sign him up for 5 plus.

Yep. Its slightly concerning all the other players sign up, bowey, petty etc and not read LJ's name among them. Especially while hes still over in Perth. That news story stating he was expected to sign a long term contract seems quite a while ago now...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smart by Jacko's manager, gonna milk us for every penny. If he did a knee this year he loses absolutely no value whatsoever, if he continues the rise he has been on hes worth another 250k per year.

Yep. Its slightly concerning all the other players sign up, bowey, petty etc and not read LJ's name among them. Especially while hes still over in Perth. That news story stating he was expected to sign a long term contract seems quite a while ago now...
Jackson was training with the new WA draftees today; I'm less worried about his signature not being announced yet, confident he'll sign on. Given the WA border situation, probably smarter by the club to let him have more time with fam now. Once he's back in Melbourne in the New Year it could be a long time before he's back there so let him spend time with his mates and family while he can.

adonski

All Australian
Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
They could very likely be sitting on the LJ contract extension for marketing purposes to get the biggest boost from membership and publicity.
I've always assumed they do this to scatter the news out. Hard to believe we didn't have Bowey tied up before Petty, Fritsch, given his was the stock standard two year extension on a rookie deal

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Smart by Jacko's manager, gonna milk us for every penny. If he did a knee this year he loses absolutely no value whatsoever, if he continues the rise he has been on hes worth another 250k per year.

This. Like I don't get why people expect the players to sign up instantly and potentially cost themselves $100k-$200k a year. If Jackson has a dominant 2022 he could demand a massive contract and he'd be entitled to do so.

This. Like I don't get why people expect the players to sign up instantly and potentially cost themselves $100k-$200k a year. If Jackson has a dominant 2022 he could demand a massive contract and he'd be entitled to do so.

I dont blame him whatsoever, the club will have to make some hard decisions moving forward with some guys to keep him I dare say. He looks like he could be anything, wouldn't be surprised if he fetches some sort of stupid Petracca like contract after this season if things go well, something like 6 years @ 1milly per year is not out of question.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
At most Jackson will only sign up until free agency anyway so it’ll be until 2027, and then we’ll do this all over again.

Would be some level of risk signing him to a mega deal this early anyway. He isn't already a clear top 3 player in the league like Petracca was, and you probably don't want more than one of those deals on the books at the same time.

eskimo

All Australian
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
With Jackson, Gary Lyon said after Grand Final week he was speaking with Jacksons parents, and given how much Jackson had been talking up Melbourne and loving life here, they were considering moving. I don't think there is much to worry about.

Lots of WA players from all clubs have stayed in Perth to train up until christmas as going back and forth isn't possible with WA borders at the moment. I think most clubs have agreed for new WA draftees not to come back until early Jan too.

Would be some level of risk signing him to a mega deal this early anyway. He isn't already a clear top 3 player in the league like Petracca was, and you probably don't want more than one of those deals on the books at the same time.

Hes better than Trac at the same age, and as ruckman that is scary, if we dont throw stupid money at him someone else will. We will 100% have to pay overs on what hes done.

I think if we can get him to re-sign for anything below 1mil per year we'll have done pretty well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back