Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Only because you feel that it may allow you to keep on about the Board.
Just assume the numbers are conclusively in favour of the victors.

No problem then is it.
Not if you live in China.

IIRC one of the (unsuccessful) board nominees, Sal Perna, is / was on the integrity board for Basketball Australia?

That board would have been called into action recently over an integrity breach - an umpire shared video footage of a team training with an opposition coach. The owner of the team that had been disadvantaged seems to be critical about how the process was handled …

I started reading it but lost interest....why did the referee give the coach the tapes? Is he sleeping with him? I would have thought that if he made a quid out of it or if someone he knew bet on the game, he should be banned for life... and basketball australia said it didnt affect the game...lol

And we just had a bloke who oversaw a team-mate fiddle with a cricket ball, get welcomed back to the captaincy ....when the captain who replaced him was forced out of cricket for sending a pic of his dick...and the returning captain was actually cheating. Lesson to be learnt.. you can cheat but dont send pics of your dick.

I can find more logic in tribunal decisions...

It's not just apathy for me but a missed opportunity to welcome members back into the fold. 1) More memberships or upgrades could have been sold with voting rights as a carrot to get involved with the club and 2) they could have made it easier explaining how people can vote and what they needed to do to vote. If you missed the email from CorpVote then people may not have known how to vote especially with a non-tech-savvy older demographic.
Hi Sean, just wondering if Jeff Browne has contacted you?
Also, do you know how many votes you got?

Heard some of the things the new President has said and I’m not impressed. Asking Eddie for advice and already getting involved in AFL things. Ffs just stay out of the media and run the club, we don’t need another attention seeking political wannabe.
He's literally just been voted on. There WA a always going to be some media around it.

Done and dusted.
Too late to complain.
Ed was yesterday.
No point still whining.
Those who wanted a new board got it.
You cannot now complain it's not the one you specifically wanted.

All future complaints here....

View attachment 1300963
Of course we can complain, are you new to this or any other online forum? 😂 and also 🤬

Heard some of the things the new President has said and I’m not impressed. Asking Eddie for advice and already getting involved in AFL things. Ffs just stay out of the media and run the club, we don’t need another attention seeking political wannabe.
I think there is value in Eddie’s opinion as long as it doesn’t dominate the conversation, Ed did a lot of good over his tenure and there may be value in listening to his experiences.

I think there is value in Eddie’s opinion as long as it doesn’t dominate the conversation, Ed did a lot of good over his tenure and there may be value in listening to his experiences.

I said this to a friend the other day who wants to put in a claim for a building problem. Don't worry about meeting the builder. You can listen to him but you dont have to agree to anything that you dont want. We all know that Eddie is an expert in making the deal.... but the board just needs to have the strength to walk away....This might be hard for some of them - Eddie knows everyone in melbourne and he remembers every name and what school they went to and what they ate for breakfast last week. But if people on the board dont have a backbone or they cant buy one, they need to stay away from the powerbrokers. They need to tell themselves that Eddie isnt ini charge anymore....maybe they can create a self-help group like an AA meeting.

McGuire was a top flight President for a very long time. Its the list and contract management he mucked up from time to time.

If it was reported Browne refused to seek his advice I would be stunned, McGuire was responsible for some enormously important improvements at the Pies and is known as a helpful and communicative person.

McGuire was a top flight President for a very long time. Its the list and contract management he mucked up from time to time.

If it was reported Browne refused to seek his advice I would be stunned, McGuire was responsible for some enormously important improvements at the Pies and is known as a helpful and communicative person.
It wasn't just that, he needed to just not say anything a whole lot of times in the last third of his Presidency.

The "walked out the wrong door" comment re Steele, comparing Goodes to King Kong, "it's a proud day for Collingwood," and criticising the Sydney supporter with the disability for taking too long to flip the coin.

Just a collection of foot in mouth moments of that didn't need to happen.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It wasn't just that, he needed to just not say anything a whole lot of times in the last third of his Presidency.

The "walked out the wrong door" comment re Steele, comparing Goodes to King Kong, "it's a proud day for Collingwood," and criticising the Sydney supporter with the disability for taking too long to flip the coin.

Just a collection of foot in mouth moments of that didn't need to happen.

Theoretically yes, but his big personality was also a strength, as (in many situations) his informal approach to dispute resolution. You don't get perfect. We got smart hardworking and can do. He did a lot more good than bad, and was clearly better than anyone else wiling or able to take the job. There wasn't actually a visible contender until he self destructed.

Theoretically yes, but his big personality was also a strength, as (in many situations) his informal approach to dispute resolution. You don't get perfect. We got smart hardworking and can do. He did a lot more good than bad, and was clearly better than anyone else wiling or able to take the job. There wasn't actually a visible contender until he self destructed.
You can't just handwave away the faux pas as him having a "big personality" though. Too often he made himself out to be a laughing stock at best and downright disrespectful at worst. Ultimately that ends up reflecting on the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the point of this comment? The election was 6 days ago and there's been plenty of discussion, including from you, in this thread since then.

A lot of people don't get the Government they vote for, they're still well within their rights to criticise just because the election didn't go the way they wanted to. Same goes here.

The point is that now that some have exactly what they have been asking for, they should not now, start complaining about the result.
As for the comparison with Politics, nothing comparable.
Our board will not be ruining lives, stealing tax payers money or subverting society to their personal will.
So no. not even remotely comparable.
I do not remember anyone claiming the election was rigged, only people bemoaning the idiocy of the electorate.
However if it is shown that the board is an incompetent bunch of liars, thieves and right wing s**t stains expect just as much vitriol for them as the curent government.

I wanted Ed gone but the man has phenomenal AFL and club memory and possibly some great ideas to come

What a wasted resource not to occasionally check-in for his thoughts

You can't just handwave away the faux pas as him having a "big personality" though. Too often he made himself out to be a laughing stock at best and downright disrespectful at worst. Ultimately that ends up reflecting on the club.

Point me to the person who’s never made a faux pas. Ed was no more or less prone to them than anyone else. Just that he generally made them with a microphone in front of him. This line of thinking is more about faux rage than faux pas.

Not handwaving. Name a bigger better connected personality that wants the role. You get what you get.

Not handwaving. Name a bigger better connected personality that wants the role. You get what you get.

I get the “connected“ bit, but why is it important to have a “personality”?

Point me to the person who’s never made a faux pas. Ed was no more or less prone to them than anyone else. Just that he generally made them with a microphone in front of him. This line of thinking is more about faux rage than faux pas.

I think in the end some people were either tired of him, or saw him as a relic of some bygone era. Those people were looking for a fresh Collingwood, and they weren’t going to get that when the public figurehead of the club remained the same. And that’s not just the same person, but also the same person unchanged. Ed did go through a period where he went on that liquid diet thingy and lost a stack of weight (which eventually got reversed), but apart from that he remained unchanged.

Perhaps if he ditched the Hugo Boss suits for jeans and pastels polo shirts he might still be at Collingwood.

Of course he gave the people calling for change plenty of fuel. And much of the flack he copped was clearly justified. But in addition to all that, it is easier to find faults in somebody when you‘re looking closely for those faults.

I think in the end some people were either tired of him, or saw him as a relic of some bygone era. Those people were looking for a fresh Collingwood, and they weren’t going to get that when the public figurehead of the club remained the same. And that’s not just the same person, but also the same person unchanged. Ed did go through a period where he went on that liquid diet thingy and lost a stack of weight (which eventually got reversed), but apart from that he remained unchanged.

Perhaps if he ditched the Hugo Boss suits for jeans and pastels polo shirts he might still be at Collingwood.

Of course he gave the people calling for change plenty of fuel. And much of the flack he copped was clearly justified. But in addition to all that, it is easier to find faults in somebody when you‘re looking closely for those faults.
I also think a lot of people hated Eddie because it was trendy to and I've had plenty of people tell me they couldn't stand him but couldn't give a reason why, there's no doubt Eddie had his faults and was prone to putting his foot in his mouth from time to time and his time was certainly coming to an end but people should also acknowledge the great things he did with Collingwood also and he helped make it a big powerful club when they were pretty much on its knees.

I get the “connected“ bit, but why is it important to have a “personality”?
Its not important, its what he had.

Ed McGuire tentative stats:

Positives:
Smart (so he can pitch in in a bunch of ways)
Loud (Free air time=money)
Hands On (at the start this was huge, he turned the club inside out and almost all for the better=success)
Well Connected (=money)
Clout (Port BTFO on jumpers, seating deals that benefit members, also money)
Can Do (gets deals done with a handshake, also money)

Negatives:
Knows He's Smart (and he's been proved right often, so he became overconfident-I mean if I pulled off half the things he has I'd be like Hitler)
Loud (Every possible controversy gets aired=lose money)
Hands On (so he gets his hands on things way out of his job description, leading to the Beams Deal and salary cap stuff ups).
Well Connected (but the price is he does favours for mates, including his idols like MM and Bucks, which doesn't always work out=less success)
Can Do (gets deals done with a handshake so there's no paperwork, and disputes can become he said/he said=bad publicity=less money)

I mean there's always a flip side, and Eddie had a huge upside so the downside was bound to potentially be big. Eddie was an excellent President and set us up as a financial powerhouse win lose or draw.

When he left he didn't destroy his club like Elliot and his scumbag coterie have. Hard for an massive ego to let go (especially after he oversaw and contributed to a massive stuff up, he would want nothing more than to fix it) but he's loosened the grip

Kennett helped set Hawthorn up with connections and money, and cost them embarrassment and some players (by verbally abusing their wives): now his ego has led to his second dip, and its cost them the best coach of the 21st century leaving just a wee bit early. Pluses and minuses like every president.

Bottom line for me is we could hardly have done better out of him (I mean he sweated blood for the club, our most important President in over half a century) and in the wash up it could have finished far worse.

Its not important, its what he had.

Ed McGuire tentative stats:

Positives:
Smart (so he can pitch in in a bunch of ways)
Loud (Free air time=money)
Hands On (at the start this was huge, he turned the club inside out and almost all for the better=success)
Well Connected (=money)
Clout (Port BTFO on jumpers, seating deals that benefit members, also money)
Can Do (gets deals done with a handshake, also money)

Negatives:
Knows He's Smart (and he's been proved right often, so he became overconfident-I mean if I pulled off half the things he has I'd be like Hitler)
Loud (Every possible controversy gets aired=lose money)
Hands On (so he gets his hands on things way out of his job description, leading to the Beams Deal and salary cap stuff ups).
Well Connected (but the price is he does favours for mates, including his idols like MM and Bucks, which doesn't always work out=less success)
Can Do (gets deals done with a handshake so there's no paperwork, and disputes can become he said/he said=bad publicity=less money)

I mean there's always a flip side, and Eddie had a huge upside so the downside was bound to potentially be big. Eddie was an excellent President and set us up as a financial powerhouse win lose or draw.

When he left he didn't destroy his club like Elliot and his scumbag coterie have. Hard for an massive ego to let go (especially after he oversaw and contributed to a massive stuff up, he would want nothing more than to fix it) but he's loosened the grip

Kennett helped set Hawthorn up with connections and money, and cost them embarrassment and some players (by verbally abusing their wives): now his ego has led to his second dip, and its cost them the best coach of the 21st century leaving just a wee bit early. Pluses and minuses like every president.

Bottom line for me is we could hardly have done better out of him (I mean he sweated blood for the club, our most important President in over half a century) and in the wash up it could have finished far worse.
Or we could keep mark Korda who looks like he's conducting a funeral when he speaks.

The point is that now that some have exactly what they have been asking for, they should not now, start complaining about the result.
As for the comparison with Politics, nothing comparable.
Our board will not be ruining lives, stealing tax payers money or subverting society to their personal will.
So no. not even remotely comparable.
I do not remember anyone claiming the election was rigged, only people bemoaning the idiocy of the electorate.
However if it is shown that the board is an incompetent bunch of liars, thieves and right wing sh*t stains expect just as much vitriol for them as the curent government.

Why are you carrying on about right wing s**t stains when Eddie and the previous board were all lefty losers - it’s why we brought in hacks like Bridie

By what criteria do we measure a President’s success / importance?

Premierships is one metric … 1 in 23 years, a little below par (1 in around 17 years would be par during Ed’s period)

Win / loss of the team is another metric … 5 Grand Finals in 23 years. We can’t have done too badly with the win / loss during Ed’s period.

Financial position is another … we’ve done OK, we’re certainly better off than at the start of Ed’s tenure. But the $15 million pubs fiasco was no doubt a big blight.

Membership is another … I’m guessing we would have been around 15K members when Ed took over, we were around 80K when he left, so that’s a tick. But to be fair, I reckon all clubs would have had a massive gain in membership since the 90’s, and whilst it is an area we have innovated (Collingwood pioneered the concept of auto-renew memberships) there a a few other clubs that have done better out of it.

Member engagement is another metric … it’s a subjective one and difficult to measure, but given that it was a key driver for the EGM push, we have to say that he failed at that one.

Profile? We’ve retained our reasonably high profile and Ed has been a part of that.

Vision and growth? Big tick with expansion into women’s sports, netball and wheelchair. All AFL club have good facilities these days, but and did generally keep Collingwood ahead of the curve.

IMO Ed did reasonably OK, but you’d expect progress in 23 years. There are certainly other club Presidents who have presided over more progress over a shorter period.

Last edited:
By what criteria do we measure a President’s success / importance?

Premierships is one metric … 1 in 23 years, a little below par (1 in around 17 years would be par during Ed’s period)

Win / loss of the team is another metric … 5 Grand Finals in 23 years. We can’t have done too badly with the win / loss during Ed’s period.

Financial position is another … we’ve done OK, we’re certainly better off than at the start of Ed’s tenure. But the $15 million pubs fiasco was no doubt a big blight.

Membership is another … I’m guessing we would have been around 15K members when Ed took over, we were around 80K when he left, so that’s a tick. But to be fair, I reckon all clubs would have had a massive gain in membership since the 90’s, and whilst it is an area we have innovated (Collingwood pioneered the concept of auto-renew memberships) there a a few other clubs that have done better out of it.

Member engagement is another metric … it’s a subjective one and difficult to measure, but given that it was a key driver for the EGM push, we have to say that he failed at that one.

Profile? We’ve retained our reasonably high profile and Ed has been a part of that.

Vision and growth? Big tick with expansion into women’s sports, netball and wheelchair. All AFL club have good facilities these days, but and did generally keep Collingwood ahead of the curve.

IMO Ed did reasonably OK, but you’d expect progress in 23 years. There are certainly other club Presidents who have presided over more progress over a shorter period.

The problem with this tick box approach is that it appears to give equal weight to each criteria.....

And if you want to add another criteria, I'd add leadership within the club.... a buzzword for assessing the players but the leadership within the club has been terrible for decades....continually relying on one central person to run the show..

As for assessing Ed, he did ok except for opening his mouth up too much and fiddling around in the footy dept.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back