What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How many games this year did Petraka drag his team over the line? Not even close to Bont. Particularly in character. Robbo would have needed a ghost writer just for counting to 50.

Ah, I wanted to start 2022 on a positive note, but those 2 deserve negative commentary, sorry.

l
I feel like the broader footy community has usually under-rated our players historically, but this poll suggests they are being rated more favourably these days.
Either that or Robbo hates us. (Who are the "readers" anyway? The WB board on BF?)
How many games this year did Petraka drag his team over the line? Not even close to Bont. Particularly in character. Robbo would have needed a ghost writer just for counting to 50.

Ah, I wanted to start 2022 on a positive note, but those 2 deserve negative commentary, sorry.
Petracca's flavour of the month/year ... and probably rightly so. He had a great season.
It'll pass.

Bont, on the other hand, is forever.

Either that or Robbo hates us. (Who are the "readers" anyway? The WB board on BF?)

I don't think so. He was rating Bont in his top 5 much earlier than most non-Bulldogs fans would have. He had always rated our players pretty fairly imo - not that I think his opinion is worth much.

His rating are always very subjective and emotion based. Not sure why people feel the need to get angry about it. He even says that Bont would have been ranked 1 until the last quarter of footy for the year played out. Petracca's GF performance was exceptional and for someone who rates players based on emotion/romance, that's probably worth 10 great normal season games.

The Greatest Tackler The Game Has Seen? - The Mongrel Punt

Is Tony Liberatore the best tackler the game has seen?

And immediately, I feel Richmond fans bristling at the mere mention of his name. Visions of a bloodied Matthew Knights leaving the MCG whilst Wayne Campbell remonstrates with ā€œLibbaā€ come flooding back. Their eyes bug out, their faces turn a shade of crimson and their fists clench.

Yes, Libba has that type of effect on a supporter ā€“ particularly Richmond supporters ā€“ did then, and can still ruffle feathers now.

Whilst I readily agree that some of his tactics later in his career wereā€¦ questionable, the fact remains that this little wonder of Aussie Rules Football not only changed the way midfielders play the game, but was the precursor to the tackle-fest we see in games right now. Noā€¦ Iā€™m not talking about clips from the changerooms after the game ā€“ thatā€™s a completely different type of tackle-fest. I am talking about the sheer volume of tackles we see in the modern game.

Whilst many have surpassed the numbers compiled by Liberatore in his best tackling season, it remains one of the most singularly impressive outputs in footy history. Iā€™ll get to why very soon.

Before we get to Libbaā€™s performance(s), we need to look at the modern day players who excel in the art of tackling.

In 2021, we saw two incredible efforts, with players claiming the two of the highest averages for tackles in the history of the game. Hugh Greenwood looked to be en route to breaking the record for most tackles in a season. He was going to give it a shake had he been able to stay healthy. Averaging an incredible 8.67 tackles per game ā€“ the highest in history, pipping Matt Priddisā€™ 8.55 in 2016 ā€“ the single season record of Scott Selwood (202 tackles at an average of 8.02) looked to be in jeopardy until Greenwood injured his knee and spent the rest of the season on the sidelines.

In his absence, Jack Steele surged to the front, recording 185 tackles for the year, at an average of 8.41 for the Saints. This placed him in seventh place, all-time for single-season totals.

Greenwoodā€™s average would have clocked him in at 190 tackles for the year had he continued at the rate he was travelling at prior to his injury, which would have still placed him behind Selwoodā€™s record of 202, however, he would have achieved his totals in three fewer games. West Coast played finals in Selwoodā€™s big year. the Suns, obviously, did not in 2021. One big week amongst the remaining games could have seen him go very close to claiming the highest season total recorded

Those types of figures from Greenwood and Steele kind of dwarf the efforts of Libbaā€¦ no pun intended, but is there an argument that they are simply inflated figures reflecting the way the game has changed over the last 25 years, rather than the outstanding achievements they appear to be at face value? Iā€™m contending that this is very much the case, particularly when viewed besides Liberatoreā€™s efforts.

Greenwood and Steele both had enormous impacts on the defensive side of their teamā€™s games. The Saints averaged 61.95 tackles per game in 2021. Steeleā€™s 8.41 tackles per game amount to 13.57% of his teamā€™s tackles ā€“ an outstanding effort. With 23 players on the team any given week, one bloke had over 13% of their collective tackles. Makes you wonder what the rest of the team were doing when they were without the footy, huh?

Greenwood was slightly better, making up 13.96% of the average tackles the Suns compiled a game. He carried the defensive side of the Gold Coast midfield, and though they have compensated for his absence by adding Charlie Constable for 2022, his loss will be huge when it comes to toughness in the contest. Greenwood has never once averaged under six tackles per game. Think about that ā€“ his worst season still amounts to a higher tackling average than the best from Libba. Incredibleā€¦

And before we look at Libba, letā€™s have a look at some of the great tacklers in the period in between.

Lenny Hayes averaged just on 10% of the 2010 St Kilda teamā€™s tackles. The Saints averaged 70.19 tackles per game when they went perilously close to the flag. Hayes had 7.08 per game to lead them.

Jude Bolton was a monster in Sydney, relishing the chance to drag an opponent down whenever the opportunity arose. He averaged 7.05 tackles per game in 2009. Thatā€™s 10.53% of the Swansā€™ tackle totals.

Matt Priddis averaged 8.55 tackles per game over 22 games in 2016, making up 12.41% of the total West Coast tackles. Until Greenwoodā€™s 2021, Priddis held the highest average for tackles in a season. Even with a Brownlow, he remains underrated.

And the all-time single-season leader, Scott Selwood had 8.08 tackles per game in 2011. The Eagles averaged 71 tackles per game. Thatā€™s 11.38% of his teamā€™s tackles.

And now we get to Libba. Buckle up, babies.

Libbaā€™s best tackling season, as mentioned, was 1994. He amassed 142 tackles ā€“ a pittance by modern standards, right? How about if I tell you that the entire Footscray team had 625 tackles in total? Got your calculators out?

In 1994, before tackling was in vogue, Tony Liberatore averaged an incredible 22.73% of his teamā€™s tackles. In a time people laud as being the best footy they can remember, little Libba was in the process of demonstrating the value of tackling when everyone else was trying to pick up a cheap kick. Darren Jarman was next best in ā€˜94 for Hawthorn. He had 83 tackles for the year, or 10.7% of the Hawksā€™ total tackles.

The year before that, Libba totalled 115 tackles, averaging 5.75 tackles. The Dogs had a total of 571 tackles, at an average of 28.55 per game. Libbaā€™s efforts again saw him contribute a huge 20.14% of his teamā€™s totals.

So, is Tony Liberatore the greatest tackler the game has seen?

If weā€™re going by sheer tackling numbers, the answer is no, but the question is not as simple as that. What Libba did came in a time when nobody else was even close. When it came to tackling through the early to mid-90s, he simply had no peer.

Though players, and the game have evolved, no one has put the type of distance between himself and the next-best player in the way Libba did in 1994 and the years surrounding it. To have consecutive seasons where you average over 20% of your teamā€™s total tackling numbers is ridiculous.

If you want to argue the case against, I am all ears, but I have never seen a player better at tackling than Tony Liberatore, despite the fact modern stats will tell you current players are doing it better. If Libba were getting a game now, disregarding that he had trouble kicking the footy over a piece of paper, how many tackles per game would he pick up?

Double figures would be a given.

Oh, and though he reaches nowhere near those numbers currently, it is somewhat gratifying to see a Liberatore own the most tackles in a single AFL game, even if it is Tom*. The apple doesnā€™t fall far from the tree.

*Tom Liberatore had 19 tackles in a game in Round 8, 2016. He co-holds the single-game record with Jude Bolton (R3, 2011), and Jack Ziebell (R3, 2016). Interestingly, two of the three highest recorded came against Melbourne in the same season ā€“ 2016. The Dees really needed to hit the gym back then.

Iā€™ll never forget Libbaā€™s tackle on Scott Lucas during the famous Round 21 2000 game, that led to a goal. McAvaney: ā€œLiberatore, you take that goal!ā€

Iā€™ll never forget Libbaā€™s tackle on Scott Lucas during the famous Round 21 2000 game, that led to a goal. McAvaney: ā€œLiberatore, you take that goal!ā€

Lucas would still be having nightmares about that tackle. He had no idea Libba was about to tackle him

Lucas would still be having nightmares about that tackle. He had no idea Libba was about to tackle him

It might be the vagaries of my memory deceiving me, but I think Lucas noticed Liberatore just long enough before the tackle was executed to think, "Oh s**t", but not long enough to do anything about it. I have this mental image of a momentary, terrified expression on Lucas' face before he went down.

It might be the vagaries of my memory deceiving me, but I think Lucas noticed Liberatore just long enough before the tackle was executed to think, "Oh sh*t", but not long enough to do anything about it. I have this mental image of a momentary, terrified expression on Lucas' face before he went down.
Those short legs cast a long and frightening shadow!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone able to post the article about the dogs from today's Hun?
AFL 2022 previews: Predictions for the upcoming season for the Western Bulldogs

A fairytale season with a 45-minute horror show at the end of it. Thatā€˜s the best way to sum up the Bulldogs resurrection in 2021.
After being one of the best performers throughout the home and away season, the wheels fell off over the last three rounds with the trio of losses seeing the Dogs fall out of the top four.

But Luke Beveridgeā€˜s team then evoked memories of their 2016 premiership run by beating Essendon in Tasmania, Brisbane Lions at the Gabba and then flogging Port Adelaide in the preliminary final at the Adelaide Oval.

And then midway through the third quarter in the Grand Final they led Melbourne by 19 points. We all know what happened next but it shouldnā€˜t detract from a brilliant season.

Captain Marcus Bontempelli was unlucky not to win the Brownlow Medal, while Bailey Smith became a cult hero after a stunning finals series.

COACH: Luke Beveridge

CAPTAIN: Marcus Bontempelli

WHERE DO THEY FINISH IN 2022
The Bulldogs arenā€˜t going anywhere and are a top four lock in ā€™22.

The list demographic is very appealing with most of their guns in a sweet spot of their careers regarding age and games played.

While the ruck situation continues to be the elephant in the room, Tim English is a big talent who will only get better while fingers will again be crossed that veteran Stefan Martin can hold up more than he did in 2021.

No. 1 draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan got a taste and will add plenty in his second season while the Dogs will get another top pick with father-son selection Sam Darcy who is an elite mobile tall.

The midfield, which was already scary good, should be even more frightening next year given boom recruit Adam Treloar and his bestie Josh Dunkley both missed half-a-season through injuries.

BIGGEST IMPROVER
Going left-field here for a player who hasnā€˜t even pulled on a Dogs jumper yet.

Tim Oā€˜Brien arrived at the Whitten Oval from Hawthorn as an unrestricted free agent after eight seasons and 97 games, mainly as a key forward.

However, in the second half of 2021 Oā€˜Brien, 27, played in defence and came into his own with his high leaping aerial skills shining out.

The Dogs are crying out for another big tall to help out Alex Keath and Oā€˜Brienā€™s athleticism fits into the way Beveridge likes his team to play.

And the timing proved more than fortuitous given the surprise retirement of Easton Wood.

X-FACTOR
Beveridgeā€˜s decision to hold back the No. 1 draft pick will be rewarded.

A full pre-season coupled with more of an understanding of what is required at AFL level will see Jamarra Ugle-Hagan accelerate dramatically.

There were plenty of small signs during his five games (he kicked 7 goals) in 2021 to show the kid has something special but is a long way off physically.

That moment when he led out from full-forward and received a beautiful right-foot pass from Bontempelli to kick a crucial goal late in the Round 19 victory over Melbourne is burned into the minds of all Dogs fans.

COACH STATUS

Has the job for life if he wants it.

Put any sorts of criticism which may have built up after the 2016 premiership let-down behind him with some brilliant coaching to get his team to an unlikely grand final berth.

Beveridge is signed until the end of 2023 but there has been some shuffling in the coachesā€˜ box with his long-time assistant Steven King leaving for the Gold Coast and Ashley Hansen moving to Carlton.

WHO IS IN LAST YEAR OF CONTRACT
Some interesting potential free agents with midfield maestro Jack Macrae and Norm Smith medallist Jason Johannisen both eligible as theyā€˜re coming out-of-contract at the end of 2022.

The Dogs have a bit of fancy accounting to do with a number of other rising stars also requiring new deals.

Young gun Bailey Smith, ruckman Tim English, midfielder Josh Dunkley and All-Australian defenders Bailey Dale and Caleb Daniel need to be re-signed. Premiership heroes Zaine Cordy and Toby McLean are also out-of-contract.

INS
Tim Oā€™Brien (free agent ā€“ Hawthorn), Sam Darcy (pick two), Arthur Jones (43), Luke Cleary (61), Charlie Parker (rookie), Robbie McComb (rookie), Cody Raak (category B rookie)

OUTS
Ben Cavarra (delisted), Will Hayes (delisted), Lin Jong (retired), Patrick Lipinski (traded ā€“ Collingwood), Sam Lloyd (retired), Easton Wood (retired), Lewis Young (traded ā€“ Carlton)

FIRST SIX GAMES
Rd 1: Melbourne @ MCG (L)

Rd 2: Carlton @ Marvel Stadium (W)

Rd 3: Sydney @ Marvel Stadium (W)

Rd 4: Richmond @ MCG (W)

Rd 5: North Melbourne @ Marvel Stadium (W)

Rd 6: Adelaide @ Mars Stadium (W)

BEST 22
B: Duryea, Cordy, Williams

HB: Dale, Keath, Daniel.

C: Smith, Liberatore, Hunter

HF: Treloar, Naughton, Dunkley

F: Weightman, English, Ugle-Hagan

R: Martin, Bontempelli, Macrae

IC: Vandermeer, Oā€˜Brien, Johannisen, Hannan

Half decent analysis for the tabloid. Cordy is in no way best 22 though, heā€™ll play a chunk of games but this year is make or break for him to secure a long term future with the club. I sense a nice juicy 3-4 year deal from Gold Coast on the horizon which he should take in the mould of Rory Atkins.

I remember when the pro-pundits had as a lock into perpetuity because of our unrivalled yoof after 2016.
Yeah anything can happen but itā€™s not our unrivalled youth anymore - now itā€™s our unrivalled quality in their prime. Big difference.

Too many unknowns with this season to lock anyone in anywhere - but Iā€™d be very very surprised if weā€™re not one of the teams to beat

I don't see how we could be a top four lock when we have literally never finished inside the top four in Bevo's era. Bit of a joke tbh. I'd say our range is anywhere between 2nd and 12th.
Finishing 12th with this group, fresh off a grand final, is as good as a spoon

Finishing 12th with this group, fresh off a grand final, is as good as a spoon

12th is worse case scenario imo. I think we have enough talent that even if we have a s**t year we won't end up in the bottom six. I think we are more likely to finish in the 5-8th range.

Strengths:

Shitloads of talent
Stacked midfield
Great senior coach

Weaknesses:

No competitive ruck
Questionable KPPs apart from Naughton and Keath
Instability in our coaching ranks

I think our weaknesses will make it hard for us to finish top four. I think our strengths will make it hard for us to finish outside the eight.

12th is worse case scenario imo. I think we have enough talent that even if we have a sh*t year we won't end up in the bottom six. I think we are more likely to finish in the 5-8th range.

Strengths:

Shitloads of talent
Stacked midfield
Great senior coach

Weaknesses:

No competitive ruck

I think our weaknesses will make it hard for us to finish top four. I think our strengths will make it hard for us to finish outside the eight.
I agree 5-8 is our most likely range, it's just that finishing outside the 8, barring some crazy scenario like COVID protocols wiping out our available list like its already done to the Women's side, likely indicates serious issues within the club (list management, strength and conditioning, coaching, etc)

Understand Lachie Hunter has undergone major plastic surgery to look like Koby Stevens.

519EA031-ACC3-4DCF-B091-C34FE88B2364.jpeg

12th is worse case scenario imo. I think we have enough talent that even if we have a sh*t year we won't end up in the bottom six. I think we are more likely to finish in the 5-8th range.

Strengths:

Shitloads of talent
Stacked midfield
Great senior coach

Weaknesses:

No competitive ruck

Do you really think we have instability in the coaching ranks? We've just had our first lot of assistant coach turnover in close to a decade, let the new guys prove themselves before we start worrying about that aspect.

I'm more worried about the lack of ruck, and the mental challenge of overcoming what happened in the GF. They can say ''its behind us we won't even review it'' as much as they want, a flogging like what the team copped will leave scars and have some sort of effect, good or bad is yet to be seen.

Do you really think we have instability in the coaching ranks? We've just had our first lot of assistant coach turnover in close to a decade, let the new guys prove themselves before we start worrying about that aspect.

I'm more worried about the lack of ruck, and the mental challenge of overcoming what happened in the GF. They can say ''its behind us we won't even review it'' as much as they want, a flogging like what the team copped will leave scars and have some sort of effect, good or bad is yet to be seen.
Are they saying that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back