Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry if this is off topic but has anyone here suffered from IlioTibial Band Syndrome (ITBS)?

I've been suffering from it for the last ten days or so and it is a real bastard. Mornings are bloody excruciating and I am getting around on a walking stick. Pain is constant.

Been to my GP, painkillers and anti-inflammatories prescribed and am taking them daily with minor relief.

Had a session with one of the great physios at Physio Plus based at VUWO and have a treatment plan -- mostly gentle exercises to increase glute and thigh muscles as well as rolling a tennis ball on the hip.

I feel I'm in good hands but wonder if anyone who has been through it has any tips/advice.

Sorry if this is off topic but has anyone here suffered from IlioTibial Band Syndrome (ITBS)?

I've been suffering from it for the last ten days or so and it is a real bastard. Mornings are bloody excruciating and I am getting around on a walking stick. Pain is constant.

Been to my GP, painkillers and anti-inflammatories prescribed and am taking them daily with minor relief.

Had a session with one of the great physios at Physio Plus based at VUWO and have a treatment plan -- mostly gentle exercises to increase glute and thigh muscles as well as rolling a tennis ball on the hip.

I feel I'm in good hands but wonder if anyone who has been through it has any tips/advice.
Yeah I've got a lingering issue with that, following an old football injury to my knee. It's normally not too bad but is a real annoyance when it plays up, usually when the weather's a little cooler. I usually don't get too much pain but it limits my ability to sometimes even straighten my leg. Treated with some excruciating deep massages and foam roller exercises.

Yeah I've got a lingering issue with that, following an old football injury to my knee. It's normally not too bad but is a real annoyance when it plays up, usually when the weather's a little cooler. I usually don't get too much pain but it limits my ability to sometimes even straighten my leg. Treated with some excruciating deep massages and foam roller exercises.

Thanks Sentinel. What is usually the duration of your bouts?

Usually a few days up to a week or more. It varies in length and severity, and probably depends what brought it on to start with for each particular instance. It's a pain in the arse.
"It's a pain in the arse" ... and the hips and the thigh and the knee and the calf!

Thanks for the mail Sentinel. Much appreciated.

Good luck TB, hope the treatment works.

I sympathise to a degree. One of my knees is shot with arthritis, and my lower back and mouse arm from too many years sitting in front of a screen in largely sedentary occupations. One of the benefits of a tree change to a small acreage holding means I have plenty outdoors to keep me occupied, and actually works in my favour. Well, except for the odd occasion when I'm down the back of the sheep paddock, kneeling down fixing a fence or checking hooves, and then find I can't actually stand up if I'm out of reach of a fence post! Then I have to ring/call one of my strapping off-spring to walk down and help the old man back onto his feet! Luckily the more labour I do and move around, the less 'assistance' I require! :D

I had this around 3 weeks before the 2019 Melbourne Marathon. My leg seized up half way through my last long run. I went to Hobart the next day for a week and was in constant pain and not able to run at all. I saw an Osteo (Ascot Vale Osteotherapy) when I got back to Melbourne. She gave me some band stretches and advised me to use a roller. She also placed a strip of tape on the side of my leg next to my knee to help stretch the tendon. I was able to run around 32km a week before the Marathon with minimal pain. Not an ideal preparation but it helped me mentally. I ran a 3:25 on Marathon day (which was also my 50th birthday). Once I knew what the issue was it was easier to manage.

Good luck TB, hope the treatment works.

I sympathise to a degree. One of my knees is shot with arthritis, and my lower back and mouse arm from too many years sitting in front of a screen in largely sedentary occupations. One of the benefits of a tree change to a small acreage holding means I have plenty outdoors to keep me occupied, and actually works in my favour. Well, except for the odd occasion when I'm down the back of the sheep paddock, kneeling down fixing a fence or checking hooves, and then find I can't actually stand up if I'm out of reach of a fence post! Then I have to ring/call one of my strapping off-spring to walk down and help the old man back onto his feet! Luckily the more labour I do and move around, the less 'assistance' I require! :D

Had a chuckle reading that footscray1973. It made me think of my best mate, who, late sixties, still plays Masters footy. I see most of his games and just love the old blokes still having a go. What really gets me is when a player goes down and can only get up by getting on their knees or being dragged up by their mates. Modern version of Dad's Army.

I had this around 3 weeks before the 2019 Melbourne Marathon. My leg seized up half way through my last long run. I went to Hobart the next day for a week and was in constant pain and not able to run at all. I saw an Osteo (Ascot Vale Osteotherapy) when I got back to Melbourne. She gave me some band stretches and advised me to use a roller. She also placed a strip of tape on the side of my leg next to my knee to help stretch the tendon. I was able to run around 32km a week before the Marathon with minimal pain. Not an ideal preparation but it helped me mentally. I ran a 3:25 on Marathon day (which was also my 50th birthday). Once I knew what the issue was it was easier to manage.
Cheers stevieg1969. This gives me hope of a recovery -- the sooner the bloody later.

Had a chuckle reading that footscray1973. It made me think of my best mate, who, late sixties, still plays Masters footy. I see most of his games and just love the old blokes still having a go. What really gets me is when a player goes down and can only get up by getting on their knees or being dragged up by their mates. Modern version of Dad's Army.

If only I had that age as an excuse! At least I seem to be getting better rather than worse, so there's hope for me yet.

Brilliant run. I run 3:52 when I was 45 I think. My last marathon. well done. the year before I did it in 4:38. was so tired. could not lift my legs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

525062B8-18BF-4FB9-A9DC-BB484351908C.jpeg What’s everyone think about the update to the mobile app? I am sure it’s a personal preference thing but really clunky in my opinion. It’s also missing heaps of content. No stats for individual players just a chunk of text, which in the case of Jordan Sweet is totally incorrect.

View attachment 1317565What’s everyone think about the update to the mobile app? I am sure it’s a personal preference thing but really clunky in my opinion. It’s also missing heaps of content. No stats for individual players just a chunk of text, which in the case of Jordan Sweet is totally incorrect.

The player profiles haven't been updated for 2022 yet, it's sitewide not an app issue.

Caleb Daniel really looks like Zac Efron.

For anyone who’s interested please check out the stickied thread about sponsorships. Apparently we’re short of the amount needed to sponsor two players as we usually do. As well as supporting the club there’s the bonus of no ads on here if you put in $100 or more thanks Chief !

For anyone who’s interested please check out the stickied thread about sponsorships. Apparently we’re short of the amount needed to sponsor two players as we usually do. As well as supporting the club there’s the bonus of no ads on here if you put in $100 or more thanks Chief !
Stalwart. F32 is the bloke I want beside me in the trenches.

I’ve not been home to England since Christmas 2019. I’ve really got to get over there this year but it looks like the only possible time will be the September school holidays. I don’t think I could live with it if the Dogs got into another Granny and I couldn’t share it with my fellow Doggies…again! I really don’t know what to do.

I’ve not been home to England since Christmas 2019. I’ve really got to get over there this year but it looks like the only possible time will be the September school holidays. I don’t think I could live with it if the Dogs got into another Granny and I couldn’t share it with my fellow Doggies…again! I really don’t know what to do.
I'm guessing June/July school holidays are out? Can you take kids out of school for last few weeks of term 3 leading up to September break, head over then, and be back in time for our glorious march to victory? Even if you miss weeks 1 and 2, say, of the finals, ensure you are back in time for prelim weekend, or early GF week (just don't leave it too late in GF week in case of delays/pandemics). Alternatively, can you and the family qualify as au pairs to fast-track your re-entry, as that seems to work for Gill and Dutton?!

I'm guessing June/July school holidays are out? Can you take kids out of school for last few weeks of term 3 leading up to September break, head over then, and be back in time for our glorious march to victory? Even if you miss weeks 1 and 2, say, of the finals, ensure you are back in time for prelim weekend, or early GF week (just don't leave it too late in GF week in case of delays/pandemics). Alternatively, can you and the family qualify as au pairs to fast-track your re-entry, as that seems to work for Gill and Dutton?!
Haha. Kids aren’t the problem, we don’t have any, but my wife’s a teacher. Going anywhere in term time is not an option I’m afraid. My alternatives are June/July like you say, or Christmas. We were planning on going to Fraser for Christmas though and I wouldn’t want to miss that. June/July might be the go…but that probably means I should get something booked pronto. I’m in the process of starting my own business and could do without spending $5k on flights right now. I also wanted to see how international travel plays out before I jump into anything.

It’s a hard old life sometimes.

Haha. Kids aren’t the problem, we don’t have any, but my wife’s a teacher. Going anywhere in term time is not an option I’m afraid. My alternatives are June/July like you say, or Christmas. We were planning on going to Fraser for Christmas though and I wouldn’t want to miss that. June/July might be the go…but that probably means I should get something booked pronto. I’m in the process of starting my own business and could do without spending $5k on flights right now. I also wanted to see how international travel plays out before I jump into anything.

Too hot at Christmas for Fraser, go at Easter

Ah, sorry, bad assumption on my part. Understand the teaching commitment though. Yeah, the premium on June/July or Christmas flights makes it hard.

Good luck with the new business.

Too hot at Christmas for Fraser, go at Easter
Yeah, anywhere up north is best avoided during the wet season. I went to Darwin once in Jan/Feb - apart from the excess humidity, everyone is on edge in terms of weather, and people we stayed with said December is even worse with the build up. Have been to Darwin, Cairns and the Cape in September too, but the intensity hasn't kicked in yet.

Mantis, sounds like you need DRU to assist with your planning for 2022! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back