Test Australian squad for The Subcontinent

Remove this Banner Ad

Langer has received a lot of bad press during his stint as the Australian coach, at least until his fortunes changed after winning the World T20 and the Ashes. But one thing I admire about him (& Cummins) is that he recognises the importance of the subcontinent tours and said this Australian team cannot be great until they conquer all the conditions across the world. Langer has often talked about how beating India in 2004 and breaking the final frontier was the pinnacle of achievements during his playing career and said beating India in India was his ultimate objective when he took over as the coach of the Australian team. Cummins is on record saying the subcontinent tours will tell whether this Australian team is truly good or not, after the Ashes.

Australia has perhaps been a touch guilty of caring only about the Australian summers, winning at home and ignoring the overseas tours in the subcontinent a few years back, but this team is not guilty of that. I reckon they have the bowling attack to do that, batting will be the test. Some questions arise like how good will Labuschagne be on the turning pitches, who will be tbe Australian openers and whether they can stand up to the test in the subcontinent, will Smith be as good as he was during his previous tours to the subcontinent?

Anyone know what the pitches are like in Pakistan?
Pakistan's pitches don't usually turn as much as India's or Sri Lanka's or Bangladeshi pitches. You might get a turner but it will usually be a touch slow and good for batting. Reverse swing is probably a much greater factor in Pakistan than anywhere else in the subcontinent as their outfields can be a bit abrasive. Rawalpindi tends to support pace bowling the most out of all venues in Pakistan.

If Australia do end up touring Pakistan, I reckon they have a good chance of beating them. But Pakistan is their first tour of the subcontinent after some years and challenge will be how quickly the team adapts to the change in conditions. You might also have Australia struggling to adapt initially in the tour of Pakistan, but learning from those lessons and doing well in Sri Lanka and India. Everything depends on how quickly they can adapt. I remember Australia doing a camp in the UAE before the tour of India in 2017, they'll need to prepare similarly if possible, or at least in subcontinent styled wickets at home before the tour of Pakistan.

Pakistan's pitches don't usually turn as much as India's or Sri Lanka's or Bangladeshi pitches. You might get a turner but it will usually be a touch slow and good for batting. Reverse swing is probably a much greater factor in Pakistan than anywhere else in the subcontinent as their outfields can be a bit abrasive. Rawalpindi tends to support pace bowling the most out of all venues in Pakistan.

If Australia do end up touring Pakistan, I reckon they have a good chance of beating them. But Pakistan is their first tour of the subcontinent after some years and challenge will be how quickly the team adapts to the change in conditions. You might also have Australia struggling to adapt initially in the tour of Pakistan, but learning from those lessons and doing well in Sri Lanka and India. Everything depends on how quickly they can adapt. I remember Australia doing a camp in the UAE before the tour of India in 2017, they'll need to prepare similarly if possible, or at least in subcontinent styled wickets at home before the tour of Pakistan.

Play 4 (5) quicks.

4d chess

Confusing to me,I thought they were playing Pakistan followed by Sri Lanka and India.BUT checking the India tour said Oct/Nov 22 now moved to Feb/Mar 23.

yeah i think we are squeezing in a test v afghanistan in august (remains to be seen) and an away series in south africa - the one we cancelled in 2021 - but its not part of the WTC. will be a tight squeeze if the 20/20 world cup starts late october here.

Pakistan have a fine pace attack who reverse the ball there.
Wonder which Aussie bowler gets the most reverse swing?! Cummins, Hazelwood, Boland?! Nah, it's that man Starc!!

Go for two spinners and you resign Australia to losing in India. After all, you don't neuter your biggest strength to placate a weakness.

Don't be surprised if the Australian selectors start to fiddle around with the playing XI with the development and growth of Cameron Green.

Marsh, Watson, Cartwright etc. all seemed to be batsmen who could bowl ok (120 - 135km/h). Green genuinely could open the bowling he is quick enough and skilful enough. I won't be surprised if we play Cummins and Boland / Hazelwood with Green as our third seamer.

My XI for the first test;

1. Warner
2. Khawaja
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Green
7. Maxwell
8. Carey (WK)
9. Cummins (C)
10. Hazlewood
11. Lyon

I mean there's not a whole lot of recent history when it comes to Australia touring Pakistan as the last tour was in 1998...

Originally I had Swepson in place of Maxwell, but I like the added batting depth, particularly with Warner and Smith not going into the tour in red hot form.
Maxwell obviously quite a controversial pick, but he can bowl, and most importantly is a genuinely brilliant player of spin.
This only works if Green can bowl around 10-15 overs an innings.

Khawaja is going to have a huge series I reckon. Cummins to be the pick of the bowlers.

Last edited:
My XI for the first test;

1. Warner
2. Khawaja
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Green
7. Maxwell
8. Carey (WK)
9. Cummins (C)
10. Hazlewood
11. Lyon

I mean there's not a whole lot of recent history when it comes to Australia touring Pakistan as the last tour was in 1998...

Originally I had Swepson in place of Maxwell, but I like the added batting depth, particularly with Warner and Smith not going into the tour in red hot form.
Maxwell obviously quite a controversial pick, but he can bowl, and most importantly is a genuinely brilliant player of spin.
This only works if Green can bowl around 10-15 overs an innings.

Khawaja is going to have a huge series I reckon. Cummins to be the pick of the bowlers.

No chance of going in with 3 bowlers plus Green. You need more not less and Maxwell’s party pies aren’t much better than Head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No chance of going in with 3 bowlers plus Green. You need more not less and Maxwell’s party pies aren’t much better than Head.

Told you before,Maxwell is a far better bowler then Head and figures show that.No way he will be selected until he plays some red ball cricket in the shield and lets see how he goes.These upcoming T20 and 1 day games hopefully he will not be selected.Would think they would play with 3 fast ballers plus Lyon in Pakistan or would they leave Lyon out.Still confused with the schedule ahead for Australia for the rest of the year.

As much as I was one of his haters, it seems like something has clicked for Mitch Marsh, I think he will get games on this tour as a number 7 that can bowl 10 overs.

As much as I was one of his haters, it seems like something has clicked for Mitch Marsh, I think he will get games on this tour as a number 7 that can bowl 10 overs.

Based off what red ball form? Couldn’t care less what he does in slog cricket

Told you before,Maxwell is a far better bowler then Head and figures show that.No way he will be selected until he plays some red ball cricket in the shield and lets see how he goes.These upcoming T20 and 1 day games hopefully he will not be selected.Would think they would play with 3 fast ballers plus Lyon in Pakistan or would they leave Lyon out.Still confused with the schedule ahead for Australia for the rest of the year.

Fortunately it’s likely I’ll get my way and we won’t have Maxwell in a test squad . Who knows with the schedule I’m far from convinced we tour Pakistan

I think most of the squad picks itself. Most of the talk lately is that the conditions will favour pace more so than spin.

If Pukovski can play the rest of the Shield season without an issue he will go, otherwise you can throw another young batsman into the squad.

Khawaja
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Boland

Harris
Pukovski
M Marsh
Hazlewood
Richardson
Swepson

Fortunately it’s likely I’ll get my way and we won’t have Maxwell in a test squad . Who knows with the schedule I’m far from convinced we tour Pakistan

Still think Maxwell and your other pet hate M.Marsh should be judged on what they are doing in red ball cricket at the moment ,not white ball cricket"As you know of cause both have not played for a long time especially Maxwell.Maxi is the biggest waste of talent I have seen in a long time for red ball cricket because the Australian selectors want him to focus on white ball cricket and again this issue will come up again later in the year with the T20 World Cup in Australia.

Still think Maxwell and your other pet hate M.Marsh should be judged on what they are doing in red ball cricket at the moment ,not white ball cricket"As you know of cause both have not played for a long time especially Maxwell.Maxi is the biggest waste of talent I have seen in a long time for red ball cricket because the Australian selectors want him to focus on white ball cricket and again this issue will come up again later in the year with the T20 World Cup in Australia.

I'll be more annoyed if Marsh is picked over Maxwell. We've had this disaster 30 times it doesn't change. Those two should be focused on T20 cricket with the World Cup later.

I think most of the squad picks itself. Most of the talk lately is that the conditions will favour pace more so than spin.

If Pukovski can play the rest of the Shield season without an issue he will go, otherwise you can throw another young batsman into the squad.

Khawaja
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Boland

Harris
Pukovski
M Marsh
Hazlewood
Richardson
Swepson

Those openers worry me in your selections.Not sure Pukovski will be selected until next summer and Street is the one to take.Depends a lot on the players performances in the remaining shield games I suppose.

I'll be more annoyed if Marsh is picked over Maxwell. We've had this disaster 30 times it doesn't change. Those two should be focused on T20 cricket with the World Cup later.
You are probably my right, but Marsh will be picked as a back up for Green.

They had him back into the squad recently and like the idea if a 5th bowler.

He's no chance to make the 11 unless Green is injured though.

T20 is 9/10 months away,lets judge both players performances in the shield remaining games (if they play),not on past performances in test cricket.

Those openers worry me in your selections.Not sure Pukovski will be selected until next summer and Street is the one to take.Depends a lot on the players performances in the remaining shield games I suppose.
Well Warner is getting picked, there is no doubt in that and I think they will give Khawaja more than one test as opener now they've selected him.

Street is no doubt a chance to take one of those spots as a back up, especially if they decide to give Pukovski more time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back