Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

So Mr Brodie is first up, looked impressive in center bounce routines as did Brayshaw.

But when it came to running… he has a Dane Swan like shuffle. Yes it hurt my eyeballs watching him run laps.

Who impressed, Clark, was Mr everywhere as sweeping and clearance defender, and Liam Henry is very fit, and clearly wants that vacant wing spot.

Lobb looked good in the ruck routines, and is clearly more accurate with his taps compared to Meek, but gee he gets the yips sometimes taking set shots at goal.

The boys got worked pretty hard today in the Heat.
People are forgetting that Brodie is an upgrade on Blakely who was first midfielder in last year when we had an out (and even played on the wing!). Given injuries and what Covid will do to our roster in 2022, I'm glad we have Brodie on the list.

I’m optimistic about Brodie but then I was too about Blakely based on ability to win hard inside ball & release quickly under pressure by hand to advantage. Some of Blakely’s draft highlights reminded me of Haselby.
As has proved so far though he is a bit deer in the headlights & often makes poor decisions as a result.
I don’t doubt Brodie will provide a big, strong body who can get his hands on it at the coal face but only time will tell if he can create meaningful play with his release. Early reports aren’t good about his kicking but his highlights show a remarkable ability to free his arms & find a target by hand.

That pretty much sums up what I saw today, good hands and spatial awareness.

He is a bigger body than Blakey, and kicking is better than Blakey but probably not his strong point.

All up looks an improvement on Blakey, and likely to be in the midfield rotations early in the season I suspect by the way he presents currently.

That pretty much sums up what I saw today, good hands and spatial awareness.

He is a bigger body than Blakey, and kicking is better than Blakey but probably not his strong point.

All up looks an improvement on Blakey, and likely to be in the midfield rotations early in the season I suspect by the way he presents currently.
And let's face it, with Erasmus, Johnson and O'Driscoll all looking likely to try and claw some midfield time in the near future Brodie is a nice more mature addition.

And let's face it, with Erasmus, Johnson and O'Driscoll all looking likely to try and claw some midfield time in the near future Brodie is a nice more mature addition.
Spot on, as exciting as these new kids look, they are just kids, Fyfe and Mundy cannot attend every stoppage, and while Brayshaw and Serong are tough as nails, I wouldn’t have them in the “protector” category. We need someone like Brodie and Tucker who can provide some muscle in the clinchers.
This is where I thought we got the initial restump/rewire wrong, we offloaded Barlow and De Boer who would have been perfect for adding the muscle while Brayshaw and Cerra developed. So I for one am glad we have brought in Brodie.

We trade our future 2nd for Brodie + 19 (and some shuffling of later picks of really low value). Most of us would be massively disappointed if our future 2nd ended up being close to pick 19, so at worst I see that pick swap as a win for both clubs, GCSs needing future picks.

The Brodie trade is salary space for them. I understand we have extended his contract (hopefully only to 2 years) and spread that existing salary. Maybe 2 years x 350k?

Such a great deal even for depth. But he may be more than depth.

Not sure what Gold Coast need future picks for… well not in the quantity they have them anyway.

Seems a never ending cycle of trading for future picks and never actually using them tbh. The whole strategy seems completely flawed.

A very similar deal probably exists again this year. The only question is whether it’s a salary dump or simply moving on picks GC don’t need.

People are forgetting that Brodie is an upgrade on Blakely who was first midfielder in last year when we had an out (and even played on the wing!). Given injuries and what Covid will do to our roster in 2022, I'm glad we have Brodie on the list.

Not sure that’s quite true tbh.

The games I remember Blakely playing he was either the sub or played out of position on the wing. I don’t remember him playing significant minutes as an inside mid.

He’s very clearly not part of our plans in the medium to long term. Would be shocked if he plays more than five games this year and that’s with injuries and Covid potentially playing a part.

Not sure what Gold Coast need future picks for… well not in the quantity they have them anyway.

Seems a never ending cycle of trading for future picks and never actually using them tbh. The whole strategy seems completely flawed.

A very similar deal probably exists again this year. The only question is whether it’s a salary dump or simply moving on picks GC don’t need.
Yeah probably "preferred" rather than needed. They will trade heavily into the first round, and along with potentially losing some stellar players, will dominate trade and draft on what will be a strong draft.

And yes, it's a never ending cycle. Wonder if they'll need Lobb?

I believe I can potentially answer some of this.

I’m pretty sure that from the next draft, Gold Coast will have to match bids on their academy and NT kids, no longer being able pre-sign them.

I expect a couple of this years picks to be pushed in to next year, where they have a couple of very high end academy kids. And who knows what they’ll add from the NT next year as well.

They may also look to trade multiple later second round picks to us, as our first round pick is on the table for the highest points in the fewest picks package we can get.

Yeah probably "preferred" rather than needed. They will trade heavily into the first round, and along with potentially losing some stellar players, will dominate trade and draft on what will be a strong draft.

And yes, it's a never ending cycle. Wonder if they'll need Lobb?

Hope so.

Just dropped by to check out how your preseason is going.

Really hoping your lot can crack the 8 (at the expense of Geelong).

I’ve read a fair bit here criticising Gold Coast for Brodie’s lack of endurance. That’s really unfair, as it’s really all on Brodie and his genes.

One thing GC did was a lot of preseason running with a distance running club. I’m talking a club with a national level coach and distance runners. Brodie just can’t run.

He’s genuinely good at centre bounces, but then becomes a liability once the ball leaves his immediate vicinity.

Righto . Cya.

I’ve read a fair bit here criticising Gold Coast for Brodie’s lack of endurance. That’s really unfair, as it’s really all on Brodie and his genes.

One thing GC did was a lot of preseason running with a distance running club. I’m talking a club with a national level coach and distance runners. Brodie just can’t run.

He’s genuinely good at centre bounces, but then becomes a liability once the ball leaves his immediate vicinity.
Righto . Cya.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like a Matt Priddis

Sounds like a Matt Priddis

Priddis had good endurance & ran all day. Just slowly. If Brodie can do that & rack up inside ball happy days.
I think the criticism is suggesting he has no tank & hasn’t been able to improve it. Some people just aren’t gifted aerobically. Others like Brad Hill & Menagola are wired to run forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Priddis had good endurance & ran all day. Just slowly. If Brodie can do that & rack up inside ball happy days.
I think the criticism is suggesting he has no tank & hasn’t been able to improve it. Some people just aren’t gifted aerobically. Others like Brad Hill & Menagola are wired to run forever.

Yeah, I was comparing play style moreso tank size. If Brodie does as you say then for sure, he might deserve a run.
I'm not sure if I buy into the genetic small tank talk though. I think if any person puts in the necessary work the body will eventually respond. So is it likely Brodie struggled to motivate himself to get the best outta himself? Can't make the call myself but hey, maybe.

He was very slow and I think he would struggle in today's game. Showed real character to have the career he forged.

Yeah, I was comparing play style moreso tank size. If Brodie does as you say then for sure, he might deserve a run.
I'm not sure if I buy into the genetic small tank talk though. I think if any person puts in the necessary work the body will eventually respond. So is it likely Brodie struggled to motivate himself to get the best outta himself? Can't make the call myself but hey, maybe.

I think if you say athletic ability is all genes or not genes at all you've missed the boat. I know people like to play the "it's either this or that" game, but as with most things, it's a multitude of factors. Brodie may have a predisposition for muscle mass with more fast or slow twitch fibers, but this can also be altered with training...but only to a point. I would never be able to run sprints at an Olympic level, but I could improve my quickness to a point. I'm sure Brodie's genes play a role in the number of fast/slow twitch fibers, but training at an elite level will help influence that. But, in the end of the day, he just may not be the quickest guy on the team.

One thing I love about footy is that you need all kinds of players: Short and quick, big and tall, skinny and fast, short and thick, quick feet, quick hands, hard head, etc... Whether Brodie's skill set fits into our game plan/style and with the players around him will determine how much playing time he gets. Hopefully he's closer to Aish than to Acres in this respect.

Here some reading for those who want it:

Talent gets you through the door, hard work keeps you in the room.

If Brodie wins hands on the ball and we win clearances then I don't care if he isn't chasing enough defensively, it just means Darcy is more important.
Is you are slow from the spread, you better dominate the stoppage.

Otherwise, it’s a net loss in the middle.

Is you are slow from the spread, you better dominate the stoppage.

Otherwise, it’s a net loss in the middle.
Not suggesting that Brodie is close to this fella, but there was a player that played for the Blues. Couldn't run out of site in a week of Sundays. But won two Brownlows. Played 250 games between Geelong, Carlton and Sydney. Four times AA, premiership player 1995, Australian hall of fame, etc etc etc .The story goes on and on.
Just saying is all.

Not suggesting that Brodie is close to this fella, but there was a player that played for the Blues. Couldn't run out of site in a week of Sundays. But won two Brownlows. Played 250 games between Geelong, Carlton and Sydney. Four times AA, premiership player 1995, Australian hall of fame, etc etc etc .The story goes on and on.
Just saying is all.
You don't need to look far to find another example of a ball winning mid who didn't run much the other way who has two brownlow medals.

He was sporting a Tony Stark goatee last time I saw him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back