Coronavirus/COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it true Jack Darling attended a clinic to get his Pfizer but he pulled out when the nurse took possession of the injection? The local police apparently detected him travelling over the speed limit as he ran from the clinic.

1642739382065.png

Stop being scared. You're a grown man, FFS.

Don‘t shoot the messenger here , but I did hear an economist only yesterday argue while ever the pandemic rages , the economy is far better off when we were subject to restrictions.

He backed his argument based on raw figures , and admitted the myriad of social issues were not taken into account.

But isn't that due to the mountains of JobKeeper money that was being pumped into the economy? All that has stopped now so of course the economy is worse off.

The reason why businesses were all better off during the pandemic is because they were raking in the JobKeeper money whilst having rent relief and could plan on staying closed. Today, they have no Jobkeeper money and are unsure day to day as to whether they are better off opening or closing.

tl;dl ... wot'd he say?

On the balance of probabilities the lab leak hypothesis is more likely to be true than the natural origins hypothesis. The reason that the natural origins hypothesis prevailed as being the dominant theory was from a combination of human nature, geopolitical concerns, the Chinese government withholding and destroying data, and the international collaborative relationships between scientists in the field of virology, among other things. It's still unsettled and we may see a smoking gun revealed that would settle it in either way eventually. In the case of the natural origin hypothesis then we would need to find evidence of the virus mutating in some intermediate species between bats and humans. Not sure what would be necessary to prove the lab leak theory beyond reasonable doubt. Maybe such evidence no longer exists if it ever did.

But isn't that due to the mountains of JobKeeper money that was being pumped into the economy? All that has stopped now so of course the economy is worse off.

The reason why businesses were all better off during the pandemic is because they were raking in the JobKeeper money whilst having rent relief and could plan on staying closed. Today, they have no Jobkeeper money and are unsure day to day as to whether they are better off opening or closing.

No not as simplistic as that , jobkeeper in context is a drop in the bucket compared to the total economy.
The argument is quite complex , but it is mainly based on the fact most of us were kept healthy and Covid free compared to what’s happening now.
Don’t think he was alone in his assessment, but as I said don’t shoot the messenger.

I will see if I can find the link.

Queensland businesses were coping okay when we had no Covid for 2 years. Sure, hotels were not at 100% but they were open. Yes, Noosa Surf Club, one of the great drinking holes in this country, was never full, but it was open (it has been shut since New Years Eve because they have no staff available after a mass outbreak New Years Eve). Our life up here was pretty good. A fellow could sneeze in a room without being accused of assault. Children could hold hands whilst crossing the street without being labelled ‘bio-terrorists’. The term ‘freedoms’ wasn’t a calling card for right wing nutters.

Is that assessment based on anything empirical or just a guess based on your intuition?
Just an assumption 😂 I get it means nothing but I’m yet to find a business not open - I’m sure there’s huge staff shortages absolutely not doubting that but surely if given the choice majority of these businesses would rather be open than not.

I guess a lot of businesses also managed to become lockdown-proof with home delivery etc etc which helped

Not stating any facts here not at all but if someone wants to walk down the street in Melbourne - we are open for business and co-existing with the Virus. No doubt there’s struggles, some bigger than others - but a total s**t fight? I think not.

If people think McGowans doing a great job that’s fine - I hope they enjoy WAFL football, your local music scene, interacting with the same group of people - nothing against that if you do but personally, I enjoy living in a national/international community - and things are okay and on the mend. We’ll survive.

Just an assumption 😂 I get it means nothing but I’m yet to find a business not open - I’m sure there’s huge staff shortages absolutely not doubting that but surely if given the choice majority of these businesses would rather be open than not.

If people think McGowans doing a great job that’s fine - I hope they enjoy WAFL football, your local music scene, interacting with the same group of people - nothing against that if you do but personally, I enjoy living in a national/international community - and things are okay and on the mend. We’ll survive.
WA just hosted the AFL Grand Final.

How is your National/International holiday plans going?

Queensland businesses were coping okay when we had no Covid for 2 years. Sure, hotels were not at 100% but they were open. Yes, Noosa Surf Club, one of the great drinking holes in this country, was never full, but it was open (it has been shut since New Years Eve because they have no staff available after a mass outbreak New Years Eve). Our life up here was pretty good. A fellow could sneeze in a room without being accused of assault. Children could hold hands whilst crossing the street without being labelled ‘bio-terrorists’. The term ‘freedoms’ wasn’t a calling card for right wing nutters.
Interesting take as those ‘problems’ are the exact problems we as a community are trying to move past. I suppose cutting yourself off from the rest of the world is one option, or instead you could just get vaccinated and for the vast majority of people live your life with no fear of the virus

WA just hosted the AFL Grand Final.

How is your National/International holiday plans going?
Yep in last years environment, not really comparable is it. They’ll be lucky to see an AFL game this year unless they change the way they operate.

Had a great summer actually, visited another state other than my own. Watched international cricket with 60k odd people at the G, watched international tennis players at Melb park just the other night, have been to music festivals and gigs with artists from all over the country and are making plans for a Europe trip next year (see what happens with variants but at this stage I’m as confident as one could be)

Thanks for asking

Interesting take as those ‘problems’ are the exact problems we as a community are trying to move past. I suppose cutting yourself off from the rest of the world is one option, or instead you could just get vaccinated and for the vast majority of people live your life with no fear of the virus
Do you think I am cutting myself from the rest of the world? In the last month I have worked in Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra and Brisbane. I have attempted to book in a family holiday to SE Asia in March/April however I cannot because Australia is deemed too high a risk. Prior to covid I regularly worked internationally.

I currently travel domestically weekly and have a pretty good grip on how the East Coast is going - it is not going well at all. I am in Sydney as we speak - f*cking ghost town.

Hey, glad you are loving it up partying on a ‘international’ scale - where are you partying?

Edit - Brisdog is triple vaxed

Do you think I am cutting myself from the rest of the world? In the last month I have worked in Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra and Brisbane. I have attempted to book in a family holiday to SE Asia in March/April however I cannot because Australia is deemed too high a risk. Prior to covid I regularly worked internationally.

I currently travel domestically weekly and have a pretty good grip on how the East Coast is going - it is not going well at all. I am in Sydney as we speak - f*cking ghost town.

Hey, glad you are loving it up partying on a ‘international’ scale - where are you partying?

Edit - Brisdog is triple vaxed
Sounds great, so if anything sounds like living under a McGowan government right now would affect your lifestyle dramatically

Sounds like a legitimate injury and totally not related to refusing the vaccine despite the club stating so and his 'injury' coincidentally occuring on the same day the mandates come into effect in WA. Seriously, if the choice is to not take it, at least have the decency to admit it and accept the consequences rather than this rubbish.

20220121_190535.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like a legitimate injury and totally not related to refusing the vaccine despite the club stating so and his 'injury' coincidentally occuring on the same day the mandates come into effect in WA. Seriously, if the choice is to not take it, at least have the decency to admit it and accept the consequences rather than this rubbish.

View attachment 1314372
What a ridiculous and blatant lie. Dear me, total coward.

I've been doing great in WA. We've had a total of maybe 5 weeks worth of lockdowns since Covid began. The state economy is absolutely thriving, and not just in mining. Attended my first ever grand final. Really don't feel like I've been missing anything at all

I've been doing great in WA. We've had a total of maybe 5 weeks worth of lockdowns since Covid began. The state economy is absolutely thriving, and not just in mining. Attended my first ever grand final. Really don't feel like I've been missing anything at all

What metrics do you use to determine how the state economy is doing? I don't doubt the assertion - but I'd like to look it up so I can compare it to how other states are doing.

View attachment 1314372

Takes a lot to make late-2021 Liam Jones sound like a clear-thinker, but well done Jack Darling!

Of course, if it is a work-related injury, wouldn't a club doctor be managing your injury at the, you know, club?!

Deservedly copping a pile-on on Eagles board and MB following release of that post. Many people thought he was an idiot before that post, obviously he wanted to confirm it.

Fair enough mate, I agree WA would have been a great place to be over the past two years no doubt about it, doubt there was many better places on earth to be tbh. But as of right now I know where’d I want to be in Aus

Fair enough mate, I agree WA would have been a great place to be over the past two years no doubt about it, doubt there was many better places on earth to be tbh. But as of right now I know where’d I want to be in Aus
The good news is Western Australia is part of Australia!

Felt the same way until we got a good old fashioned dose of ‘freedoms’ mid December and now we are rooted.

Takes a lot to make late-2021 Liam Jones sound like a clear-thinker, but well done Jack Darling!

Of course, if it is a work-related injury, wouldn't a club doctor be managing your injury at the, you know, club?!

Deservedly copping a pile-on on Eagles board and MB following release of that post. Many people thought he was an idiot before that post, obviously he wanted to confirm it.
Another sad victim of the anti vaxxers illness plague :(

What metrics do you use to determine how the state economy is doing? I don't doubt the assertion - but I'd like to look it up so I can compare it to how other states are doing.
Commsec's State of the States report is a good read - https://www.commsec.com.au/content/.../CommSec_State_of_the_States_October_2021.pdf

WA is ranked 1st in relative growth and 2nd in relative unemployment. One example quote:
"Economic activity in Western Australia in the year to June 2021 was 30.9 per cent above its ‘normal’ or decadeaverage level of output."

There's also the obviously unreliable "gut feel", for example the restaurant strips in Perth are at their busiest I've seen them since pre-Covid (although no idea what the actual figures are on that one, it could just be that the two main areas I frequent are appearing to do well)

It's all relative I guess. All my close family other than some aunties and uncles are in WA, so I don't feel this deep desire to travel interstate right now. I value the security of my health over the option to travel, mainly because my wife is currently high risk, and also happens to work in healthcare, so if WA started to resemble the Eastern states, things probably wouldn't be so great. For now, there's no state I'd rather be in than WA.

My main desire is to travel overseas, although I don't think WA's border really affects that right now. I'd expect it'll be well and truly open by the time international travel becomes an option again. Already cancelled two overseas holidays that were planned before Covid hit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back