Music The Hangar Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That looks like some great gets...are they recent crate digging efforts??

Do you know much about the guitar he is using at the start of this clip?? Have you ever had the chance to play one? I’ve only ever seen Mosrites in pawn shops or in Ramones/B52’s videos

PS-good to see Tumbleweed will be playing in regional Victoria early next year

That looks like some great gets...are they recent crate digging efforts??
No just the Thursday arvo play list. Most of them were ebay purchases made back when it was cost effective to do so. Postage would be a killer now. Can't even find the Metallica one anywhere. I have a feeling it might be worth a bit more than what I paid for it. The White Stripes was just from jb's. Birthday present for wifey.

Do you know much about the guitar he is using at the start of this clip?? Have you ever had the chance to play one? I’ve only ever seen Mosrites in pawn shops or in Ramones/B52’s videos
Nah never played one. Not even sure I've ever seen one irl.

PS-good to see Tumbleweed will be playing in regional Victoria early next year
Ha! I thought they split up ages ago. Went and saw them back around the time of that song and they were really, really good. The bass player had ridiculously long hair.🤣

so.... anyone going to comment on get back?

surely we aren't on spoiler alert ;)

i'll have a go.

I'll preface by saying, i know everybody has their favorite beatle and it may be tough to shed your own personal bias going in and ill admit im far from a McCartney lover, more so as time has past - he seems to be hijacking the narrative and rewriting history on his whim (i guess you get the right as the (nearly) last man standing). I'm a George man so it was with great trepidation i went in, and ill admit he does come across as quite whingey and acerbic (which is usually the domain of John) But i genuinely believe he had almost transcended them spiritually - perhaps India did number on him but he could barley hide his distain sometimes.

I understand the dynamic, john and paul like peas in a pod, musical geniuses - its a hard nut to crack, but every time George presented a song they would belittle it, mock it... its kind of funny that with the benefit of hindsight those songs which went on to become solo hits (All things must pass comes to mind) sound too good to be passed by, particularly compared with some of the other dross on let it be.

anyhow enough George whining.

It feels almost too good to be true, seeing this, i mean you feel like history is coming alive, seeing the genesis of classic songs being built layer by layer, from a bassline to some syllable sounds to lyrics to a track. It's amazing, the actual film and colours are so crisp its like it was filmed yesterday....all my troubles seemed so...

Ringo is the ultimate 4th wheel, i swear he just sits there like a mannequin waiting to be nudged so he can provide a beat. sources say hes still sitting alone in a shed in twickenham behind a kit waiting to be nudged

Its hard to deny pauls talent, he was driving the ship clearly while john and yoko were on the nod most of the time but the tensions were palpable, the rush, the ticking time clock, trying to write new songs to deadline in that terrible cold environment...

Its almost hard to believe they are all in their 20s, i mean george was 26. just a kid!

but the times they click, its just like magic watching it happen - and you think, ok this is genius, but this is them at their frayed ends, (think metallica some kind of monster) imagine them at full steam circa sgt peppers or revolver - would have been a sight to behold.

I guess at the end of the day you have the old film which is negative and a harbringer of doom - focusing on the tensions and anger.. then this a bright light shiny happy new film focusing on the guy's mucking about and what not. I guess the truth is probably somewhere in between - but without looking at it too deeply, as a beatle fan this is a gem - such amazing viewing

Chuck up your top albums/songs for 2021 if you can - always good to see peoples lists and discover things you wouldn't normally listen to. bit of a weird year for me, a fair few bands I like released stuff that didnt really do it for me. I dont think I strayed too far out of my usual listening zone either

Mine (without a lot of thought tbh) would have to be

Albums:
1: Trivium - In the Court of the Dragon
2: Spiritbox - Eternal Blue
3: Erra - Erra
4: Every Time I Die - Radical
5: Olivia Rodrigo - Sour (lol)

Songs:
1: Every Time I Die - Planet s**t
2: Trivium - The Phalanx
3: Spiritbox - Sun Killer
4: Every Time I Die - All This and War
5: Ice Nine Kills - Hip to be Scared
6: Make Them Suffer - Contraband
7: Olivia Rodrigo - Favourite Crime
8: Erra - Vanish Canvas
9: Machine Head - Arrows in Words from the Sky
10: Turnstile - MYSTERY

Chuck up your top albums/songs for 2021 if you can - always good to see peoples lists and discover things you wouldn't normally listen to. bit of a weird year for me, a fair few bands I like released stuff that didnt really do it for me. I dont think I strayed too far out of my usual listening zone either

Albums:

Songs:
1: Every Time I Die - Planet sh*t
Top albums rather than songs:

Harakiri for the Sky - Maere (Three Empty Words, Sing For The Damage We've Done)
Unto Others - Strength (Heroin, Strength)
Enforced - Kill Grid (UXO, Hemorrhage)
Iron Maiden - Senjitsu (Death of the Celts, The Writing On The Wall)
Chevelle - Niratias (Mars Simula, Self Destructor)

I like metal generally followed up with a bit more metal however I don't align to any given genre. Not a fan of 1st wave or 2nd wave black metal however some post-black goes alright as per the first album on my list. I've deliberately listed 5 very different albums but all would legitimately be in my top 10. Working out the other 5 in my top 10 is a bit harder. I've put 2 of my favourites off each album in brackets, though those songs can change from time to time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top albums rather than songs:

Harakiri for the Sky - Maere (Three Empty Words, Sing For The Damage We've Done)
Unto Others - Strength (Heroin, Strength)
Enforced - Kill Grid (UXO, Hemorrhage)
Iron Maiden - Senjitsu (Death of the Celts, The Writing On The Wall)
Chevelle - Niratias (Mars Simula, Self Destructor)

I like metal generally followed up with a bit more metal however I don't align to any given genre. Not a fan of 1st wave or 2nd wave black metal however some post-black goes alright as per the first album on my list. I've deliberately listed 5 very different albums but all would legitimately be in my top 10. Working out the other 5 in my top 10 is a bit harder. I've put 2 of my favourites off each album in brackets, though those songs can change from time to time.
will check those out mate, I dabble in a bit of metal but haven't listened to the top 3 before

I know this makes me look like a 2008 emo kid, which I am, but everything Falling In Reverse have touched in the past couple of years has been solid gold. Ronnie Radke just knows how to do a chorus.

I know this makes me look like a 2008 emo kid, which I am, but everything Falling In Reverse have touched in the past couple of years has been solid gold. Ronnie Radke just knows how to do a chorus.

oh wow - if you like scary zombie music, you’re going to love this!!

Such a primal groove Nick and Roger get into at 6:25. Had it stuck in my head all week.

I’ve been meaning to tell you SBS have the Classic Albums series on catch up at the moment including Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon.
Classic Albums: Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon streaming now on SBS On Demand 1643017822624.png
https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/vid...c-albums-pink-floyd-the-dark-side-of-the-moon

Also…have you seen those Brian Johnson Life On The Road shows on ABC iView??
I haven’t watched the one with Nick Mason but it is a weirdly interesting show from the episodes I watched.
Watching Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road Series 1 Episode 3 Nick Mason in iview
https://iview.abc.net.au/show/brian-johnson-s-a-life-on-the-road/series/1/video/ZW3144A003S00

I’ve been meaning to tell you SBS have the Classic Albums series on catch up at the moment including Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon.
Classic Albums: Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon streaming now on SBS On DemandView attachment 1315642
https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/vid...c-albums-pink-floyd-the-dark-side-of-the-moon

Also…have you seen those Brian Johnson Life On The Road shows on ABC iView??
I haven’t watched the one with Nick Mason but it is a weirdly interesting show from the episodes I watched.
Watching Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road Series 1 Episode 3 Nick Mason in iview
https://iview.abc.net.au/show/brian-johnson-s-a-life-on-the-road/series/1/video/ZW3144A003S00
I have actually. Watched them all. I had no idea BJ and Sting grew up in the same neighbourhood.

Chuck up your top albums/songs for 2021 if you can - always good to see peoples lists and discover things you wouldn't normally listen to.
I don't listen to enough new music to give you a favourite new releases, and I would've posted these in here along the journey, but these three are my standout discoveries of 2021:

That and a good meander through Art Blakey's back catalogue.

Albums:

Songs:
1: Every Time I Die - Planet sh*t
Missed this post, but Wolf Alice's Blue Weekend has become one of my favourite albums ever.

Great breakdown of a couple of songs by The Cars. Highlight is when he gives a chefs kiss to the Elliot Easton solo in Just What I Needed.
GIF by FOX International Channels

Remove this Banner Ad

Back