• trade back in with a future second for someone else

• only take MM and keep the other spot for PSD/rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft haul:

Pick 17 - Max Michalanney (matched F/S)
Pick 43 - Billy Dowling
Pick 50 - Hugh Bond

Rookie Pick 5 - Andrew McPherson (re-listed)
Rookie Pick 21 - Paul Seedsman (re-listed)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All being said I'm still concerned. 5 first round picks playing ressies. Milera Philly, the Peddle (why, he's not a forward) McAsey and the Fog.

How is winning at the expense of the future worth anything? How is Sam Berry ever in the seniors before the Peddle? McAsey is almost useless, does not much.

But my real concern is the AFL midfield going forward, who is it? Schoers isn't that good, Berry is no where near an A-Grader, Keays and Hately can't kick. So why isn't the Peddle playing in the guts? He's the only one for me that can be a real AFL player at stoppages. Winning is a concern as drafting an A-Grader is a MUST!

On SM-A528B using BigFooty.com mobile app

And of course, we can't rule out that Luko is just using Port (or our) interest to drive up his salary at Gold Coast.
Or to put pressure on the crows to up any offers they make.. which is exactly what any player/player agent would do..

If you are luko or his agent and you are thinking you want to come home at seasons end.. and you want to play for the crows.. do you tell the crows you only want to play for them?..

* no.. you probably send out a rumour via your friends/family/manager’s media connections that your actually thinking about port.. that way the crows are thinking they might have to offer that bit more if they want to be in with a chance for your services.

Gives you more bargaining power at the negotiating table..

If he comes out and says “I just want to go to port” or “i just want to go to the crows”… immediately, there goes any chance of his manager playing both clubs off against each other to extract the maximum deal for their client..

Dawson was coming to the crows from the moment he decided he was gonna come home.. but he played the game and made it look like he was equally interested in port too.. and probably extracted that extra bit of money out of the crows due to doing so..

The rumour mill in the media was actually pointing towards Dawson going to port in the week or so after he told sydney he was leaving.. you have to wonder if this was just silly buggers put out there by his manager and their connections in the media to put the wind up both SA clubs.. you never know, doing that could get you an extra $50-$100k a year on any salary package.

Why? Trading into another first rounder to take two draftees might be a good idea, for the right deal.
Most recent example of it working is Melbourne with Jackson and Pickett.
Because we have so many mids/half backs still not near fully tested, mostly all taken in the front half of the draft..

Hamish's record suggests he's pretty good at picking out players from the 2nd round onwards that turn out as good as a lot of 1st rounders...then there's his strike rate with rookie/delisted players that's not too shabby either.

You've cherrypicked out one example, where are the others?

All being said I'm still concerned. 5 first round picks playing ressies. Milera Philly, the Peddle (why, he's not a forward) McAsey and the Fog.

How is winning at the expense of the future worth anything? How is Sam Berry ever in the seniors before the Peddle? McAsey is almost useless, does not much.

But my real concern is the AFL midfield going forward, who is it? Schoers isn't that good, Berry is no where near an A-Grader, Keays and Hately can't kick. So why isn't the Peddle playing in the guts? He's the only one for me that can be a real AFL player at stoppages. Winning is a concern as drafting an A-Grader is a MUST!

Pedler has not been able to stay on the park for 4 or 5 weeks in a row. He won’t improve unless his body holds up, which so far it hasn’t. He will get his opportunity soon. Also it doesn’t matter what draft position they were chosen, it’s what they do when they get to the club. The effort they put in and the work they do in training.

On Berry, I thought he was clean and attacked the contest well. He will improve while in the seniors, may not improve any more in the SANFL. Nicks has no problem playing the young guys, so when there form warrants selection, he’ll pick them

Because we have so many mids/half backs still not near fully tested, mostly all taken in the front half of the draft..

Hamish's record suggests he's pretty good at picking out players from the 2nd round onwards that turn out as good as a lot of 1st rounders...then there's his strike rate with rookie/delisted players that's not too shabby either.

You've cherrypicked out one example, where are the others?
I agree with most of that, but if that 2023 first rounder is going to be used on a first round draftee in 2023, why couldn’t we trade it and use it on a first round draftee in 2022? What’s the difference?

Ppl getting off the Schoey train a bit early I reckon

I agree with most of that, but if that 2023 first rounder is going to be used on a first round draftee in 2023, why couldn’t we trade it and use it on a first round draftee in 2022? What’s the difference?
Because we'll need it for Isaac Heeney clone blonde bombshell Jack Delean...;)

Because we'll need it for Isaac Heeney clone blonde bombshell Jack Delean...;)

And when someone else drafts him?

There's always players in every draft. There's no need to keep kicking the can down the road and taking the same one first round draft pick as everyone else.

Let's move some future assets into the present, when we're right in the middle of our rebuild. Let's get as much happening now as possible and fast track as much as is practical.

There's always players in every draft. There's no need to keep kicking the can down the road and taking the same one first round draft pick as everyone else.

Let's move some future assets into the present, when we're right in the middle of our rebuild. Let's get as much happening now as possible and fast track as much as is practical.
Yeah this is partially my thought process. Get them now, develop them, so that they’re hopefully ready to go by the time we should be contending at a high level again

You’d only want to make a call on whether it’s a good decision or not towards the end of the year though, when we have a better idea of roughly how strong the draft pool for both this and next year is

Not special talents like Jack Delean there's not.

Ppl getting off the Schoey train a bit early I reckon
Dude he's alright, good player. More of a good plodder. But he's quick and does have a good game. What I'm looking at is un reasonable as all players are compared to Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Bradshaw ect. We have nothing close to these guys.

Dude he's alright, good player. More of a good plodder. But he's quick and does have a good game. What I'm looking at is un reasonable as all players are compared to Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Bradshaw ect. We have nothing close to these guys.

How long (how many seasons) did it take Petracca to show his real worth as a player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do know what "plodder" mean in footy term and then say he is quick in the next sentence and surely you wouldn't place Viney in the class of Petracca or Oliver. I think Berry can develop into a quicker version of the 2017's Sloane so slightly better than Brayshaw but below the elite class of Petracca or Oliver. If Schoenberg can fix his kick consistency which is usually very good and penetrative and learn to run both ways he can since he is very smart and creative by hand in congestion similar to Oliver but I'm more bullish on Pedlar as he is more explosive around clearance and can go forward, not a super accurate by foot, hence much like Petracca.

Last edited:

Nothing close to Viney and Bradshaw, you're having a laugh now..

On our trajectory it's highly likely we won't have access to him.
There's merits to trading out of the pick.
We already have long line of young developing players who can't get a game.

If say Dunkley and Rankine were wanting to come you'd do the deal.
Problem is they're talking using it on draftees in the upcoming draft not known talents...

Keays and Laird are as good if not better than Viney and Brayshaw. Schoenberg, Berry and Pedlar could all easily end up better than them both too.

Oliver and Petracca on the other hand... both are in a class above anything we have.

On our trajectory it's highly likely we won't have access to him.
There's merits to trading out of the pick.
We already have long line of young developing players who can't get a game.

If say Dunkley and Rankine were wanting to come you'd do the deal.
The weeks ago we were in the pits. Our trajectory has been upward, but we're still a very inexperienced team and will likely have some more downs this year.

So with Isaac Keeler will we get the opportunity to match like other NGA players from previous years?

For example, use our first on someone else (hopefully no bid before our pick) and then stock up using later picks and go into deficit if needed?

So with Isaac Keeler will we get the opportunity to match like other NGA players from previous years?

For example, use our first on someone else (hopefully no bid before our pick) and then stock up using later picks and go into deficit if needed?
can only match if he goes later than pick 40 in 2022.

Ya gotta chill on Pedlar.

I get that he was a pick 11, but he needs to build up to AFL level fitness wise and show some form.

Last 3 SANFL games -

RD 4 22 disposals 2 goals 2 behinds
RD 3 10 disposals 0 goals
RD 2 17 disposals 1 goal.

He needs a few more dominant SANFL games to force his way in.

Back