Toast Welcome to Fit Club

Remove this Banner Ad

I just changed to COKE ZERO. Easy fix for me.

When you drink regular COKE, you really notice the sugar hit. But damn its good though.
Have also made the change. Normally the sugar free variants have a after taste that isnt the best but I found that with Zero Coke the after taste isn't as noticeable. I asked my doctor if it was safe to drink Zero Coke. He said check your bloods after you have drank it. Bastard made me do the work and rightly so. :)

Sorry to spoil the Coke Zero hit, but there's quite a bit of evidence that diet drinks don't decrease obesity rates much at all due to possible mechanisms such as increasing food cravings and disruption of gut bacteria that keep us healthy.
It works for me and I have never had any issues. Sure it may effect some or many, but it is worth exploring and testing on an individual basis.

Soft drink is my weakness cannot seem to ever truly beat it :(

It's definitely my issue too, if I'm being honest with myself it's an addiction.

I don't smoke or drink alcohol (I'm lucky to have 1 or 2 beers a year), but soft drink and food have always been my vice.

I've tried numerous times to kick the habit without success, even right at this very minute I am trying once again to give it up.

It's definitely my issue too, if I'm being honest with myself it's an addiction.

I don't smoke or drink alcohol (I'm lucky to have 1 or 2 beers a year), but soft drink and food have always been my vice.

I've tried numerous times to kick the habit without success, even right at this very minute I am trying once again to give it up.
Have you tried at least diet alternatives for soft drinks?

Have you tried at least diet alternatives for soft drinks?

Yeah I switched a long while ago to the no sugar alternatives.

The problem for me though is that I'm drinking it too much, if I have it in the house I will always drink it over water and when I am at work I am often buying two 600ml bottles a day.

I most probably on average spend waste about $50 a fortnight buying it

Yeah I switched a long while ago to the no sugar alternatives.

The problem for me though is that I'm drinking it too much, if I have it in the house I will always drink it over water and when I am at work I am often buying two 600ml bottles a day.

I most probably on average spend waste about $50 a fortnight buying it
Hmmm. Don't buy it maybe? Then you can't be tempted. And save $1300/year (before tax)

I took the plunge on gastric sleeve surgery two weeks ago. I am 180cm and peaked at 117kg. So a high enough BMI to want to make a big change. Unfortunately my genetic makeup means if I look at a croissant I'd put on 2kg, so I was always pushing crap up hill.

I always assumed it was the cheater's way out or a cop out for people that didn't want to do the hard yards, until I did a bit more research.

Let me tell you - this has been the hardest weight loss regime I have ever undertaken. But the difference is the results are forced on you by having a stomach about 15% the original size.

The two weeks prior they get you on Optifast for two weeks to shrink the liver. The first few days were hard. Headaches, lethargy. Then you get used to it. And you can replaced a shake/bar with 100g of lean protein, so about 1/3 a chicken breast with some veges. Got through that and lost 5.2kg in 2wks.

The first few days in hospital you've essentially been hit by a truck. It's bloody hard. But then every single day you feel better and better - and slimmer.

Food wise, for two weeks you can only have fluids that would go through a McDonald's straw. Icy poles and zooper doopers are encouraged as the sugar gives you energy you aren't getting from calories, and the cold helps with the swelling. Stage 2 is pureed foods so currently I can have baby food, mashed potatoes, thick soup. Next Friday I move onto soft solids (risottos etc) for a week then a normal diet. Serving size will be about 1/2 cup in a sitting but I can honestly say I have not once felt hungry since surgery. The hunger hormone is largely removed. It's crazy. I see a KFC ad and feel nothing.

Currently I'm 18 days post-surgery and am 12kg down. The surgeon is very happy with how I'm tracking and currently 23% of my excess weight is gone. The aim is 85% which would get me to 85kg. The goal is very achievable and I can't wait.

wow i'm lucky i haven't had the soft drink problem - sure i'll have some if it's around / getting take out but i never just buy bottles for drinking on their own - there is never any in the fridge at least

just went on my first run this morning since i rolled my ankle (badly) at the end of July in the last game of footy we managed to play before lockdown struck again - Ofcourse I didn't do anything about it for the first month, just thought it be fine and just followed the RICE procedure for the first week - after a month i finally went to a GP to get a referral to a physio as it wasn't getting any better - lockdown made that hard, had to do a telehealth appt first before being able to physically see them and by time i did get into them it had been 6 weeks and she goes 'yeah i think we should moon boot this' which is just.. ugh.. what an idiot to have not done that in the previous 6 weeks

anyway did a light run today, without the brace, (moon boot was only 10 days) and pulled up pretty well - been back at gym with a trainer since we have been able to doing strength stuff so hopefully no more disruptions with my training going forward - since i've started going to gym in 2019 i've yet to have 12 months uninterrupted! Haven't check weight for a while but probably not yet under 100kg but would be close

I drank diet coke every day since 1984 (when we moved to the US). I'd have close to 2 litres a day. And I reckon I got fatter as a direct result. I read an article that said that it triggers your pancreas into producing insulin for the incoming sugar, which of course never comes, and so your body is constantly craving sugar/calories. I gave it up cold turkey in January this year. One of the best things I did (other than giving up smoking three years ago) that has lead to great results. Did my first Zumba class last week... damn, those women dance for AN HOUR! I'm such a gumby, but I love that I can do it now (at 60 years young).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to drink a Coke a day in high school and I’d crave it. But, after ditching it in my 20s, I’m at the stage where drinking a 500ml bottle of Coke makes me feel ill. My body rejects the sugar. I can handle a glass with food maybe, but I only drink it if it’s offered to me. I never seek it out myself.

It’s like anything, it becomes routine. If it’s not part of the routine, you don’t think about it and there is no craving.

Been over 100 for probably last 5 or 6 years

95 is my goal (I am 6'3)
Well done, I’ve been over 100 for the same period. When covid hit I went on a health kick and got down to 92, coincidently same time I was seeing a new girl.

I snuck backup to 98 earlier this year. The last 2 months and in particular the last month I’ve concentrated on getting it down, again woman motivated, down to 91.8. I’m 6ft.

Losing weight has been easy when doing the right things, I’m strong advocate for intermittent fasting, 18-6, started 16-8. Cut out junk, ******* packet chips, carbs, walking and home gym and I’m shedding it. Don’t want to lose much more though.

Losing weight has been easy when doing the right things, I’m strong advocate for intermittent fasting, 18-6, started 16-8. Cut out junk, ******* packet chips, carbs, walking and home gym and I’m shedding it. Don’t want to lose much more though.

you're right about fasting - when footy started up again this year one of the guys was looking amazing and not inline with most people's covid body transformations - asked if he's been working out etc and he said 'well we set up a bit of a prison gym at home but honestly i think the main thing is i dont eat before midday anymore'

i started doing the same which was hard at first as ive always been a big breakfast eater - i just have it at midday now - that with gym 3 times a week and yeah i can notice it

you're right about fasting - when footy started up again this year one of the guys was looking amazing and not inline with most people's covid body transformations - asked if he's been working out etc and he said 'well we set up a bit of a prison gym at home but honestly i think the main thing is i dont eat before midday anymore'

i started doing the same which was hard at first as ive always been a big breakfast eater - i just have it at midday now - that with gym 3 times a week and yeah i can notice it
For me it wasn’t the eating before midday it was the snacking after dinner on chips and crap. I had still not eaten before 1-2pm each day but eating the junk after dinner is the killer. Dropping that has made the big difference

I'm down to 102 - total 15kg down post-surgery and haven't been this low for a long time. Clothes are getting looser and looser. Smashing it, feeling great. Helps a lot the gyms have reopened here too, have been going daily.

I've noticed two things, my resting HR was around 85-90 pre-surgery. Not terrible but not great.
Now it's consistently 65bpm.

And my walking pace used to be a struggling 14min per km, now it's around 10-11 without really pushing too much. Can't wait for the next few months.

I'm down to 102 - total 15kg down post-surgery and haven't been this low for a long time. Clothes are getting looser and looser. Smashing it, feeling great. Helps a lot the gyms have reopened here too, have been going daily.

I've noticed two things, my resting HR was around 85-90 pre-surgery. Not terrible but not great.

And my walking pace used to be a struggling 14min per km, now it's around 10-11 without really pushing too much. Can't wait for the next few months.

has the gastric sleeve curbed your hunger?

Bump.

Now 86kg and flying. Exercising 6 days a week and feeling better than ever. Bloody expensive buying new clothes all the time but it's pretty cool to go in and know you can get a shirt that doesn't have X in the size. I'm an easy M/L now which is so cool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back