Review Dogs beat Pies 99-51

Remove this Banner Ad

We all already knew this, so there must be some obscure intangible factor that only Bevo knows about.
its possibly ythe factor that West has wasted several previous opportunities by playing selfish football

He was good on Friday night but needs to do that consistently and continue playing the team game

LOL this BS about Sweet is crap. He was ok on Friday night but he still got beaten by not a great ruck

Sweet beat Cameron in hit outs to advantage, I'd say that's a win if Sweet won the stat while conceding 7 hit outs. It means that Sweet was getting a hand to it and stopping Cameron from palming it down to his guys.

It’s overstated as we played him last year against average sides like GC who at the time had part time ruckman. Gawn destroyed him

Really?

He played against Suns, Blues, Power, Saints and Dees.

No shame in being well beaten vs Gawn, but did fine against the rest.

He was instrumental to our mids getting on top early this week…

WTF does this board have to have negative pile ons? McComb wasnt great but it was his 4 th game
I’d go further and say he’s on a steep improvement trajectory. For the second week in a row he’s played a career best game. Outside chance for the Brownlow if he keeps on at that rate.

It’s overstated as we played him last year against average sides like GC who at the time had part time ruckman. Gawn destroyed him
WTF does this board have to have negative pile ons? Sweet wasnt great but it was his 6th game

Strong win, midfield dominated and we got the result.

Cleary looked like he belongs at the level, defends well, neat by foot and works hard.

West did better than I expected, not overly a fan but definitely played a role and was a bit more team orientated than usual.

Sweet was solid, I expected a bit more in the first half but the second half he was more aggressive, used his body more to protect the space for our mids and showed more follow up work.

Still don’t rate McComb but not sure we have much to replace him atm. Similar with McNiel seems to not be ready for the level or isn’t quite up to it, but again who do you replace him with. With injuries and no one demanding the spots in the VFL I think we are stuck with them a bit longer.

Next two weeks are important, get through them with wins and then get players back for the cats and more players back after the bye we may be able to salvage the season. By salvage I mean making finals, I think our deficiencies will be too much to overcome to be a major player in finals but happy to be proven wrong

Strong win, midfield dominated and we got the result.

Cleary looked like he belongs at the level, defends well, neat by foot and works hard.

West did better than I expected, not overly a fan but definitely played a role and was a bit more team orientated than usual.

Sweet was solid, I expected a bit more in the first half but the second half he was more aggressive, used his body more to protect the space for our mids and showed more follow up work.

Still don’t rate McComb but not sure we have much to replace him atm. Similar with McNiel seems to not be ready for the level or isn’t quite up to it, but again who do you replace him with. With injuries and no one demanding the spots in the VFL I think we are stuck with them a bit longer.

Next two weeks are important, get through them with wins and then get players back for the cats and more players back after the bye we may be able to salvage the season. By salvage I mean making finals, I think our deficiencies will be too much to overcome to be a major player in finals but happy to be proven wrong
Trouble is do we sacrifice our draft picks to finish 7 or 8 and get bundled out in the first final. If we finish outside the 8 we have the picks to fill holes and make a meaningful go for the flag in 2023.

However in saying that I was heartened by Cleary and Bukus game on Friday, we do have some talent on our list, it has been disheartening seeing plodders like McNeil and McComb come through as the best of our VFL list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t get the love for Lipinski. Sure he is a nice classy footballer. But he went missing in some big games and finals when it matters. That is why McComb or McNeill may not make it either, disposal drops away dramatically when there is pressure. The home and away season is to qualify for finals and find out who will stand up when the pressure comes. West on the other hand looks likely to make it. He just needs a coach to back him in. His pressure acts resulted in goals and turn overs. Watch the first goal again we kicked the other night. He was out of position for the mark, but made it a real contest, balls spills to B Smith he kicks to Buku…goal! West must stay in the team.

I've been largely agnostic with Zaine Cordy (although I do believe he is a Bullgod).

So when the debate rages as to who should be dropped (from a backline of Keath/Gardner/Schache/O'Brien/Cordy etc) it has never really bothered me if Cordy is the one who gets mentioned. The interesting thing is that no matter what we on BF think Cordy hardly ever does miss out.

He has played 8 of the 9 games this year (missed R4 due to concussion protocols) and after missing the first 5 rounds last year (3 as emergency) he played every other game except the first semi-final (ill) and the second semi-final (emergency).

His stats are uninspiring. His best ever season for disposals was 2017 (12.68 avge) and they've been on a steady decline since. He rarely kicks a goal (fair enough since he's usually been a defender), has barely 50 CMs across his entire career and is not a big rebounder. Oh and he has never polled in the Brownlow but I guess you knew that.

So what is it about Cordy that gets him a game nearly every week (112 games in his career so far)?

There's something about him that the stats don't show very well. He brings energy and aggression to the contest. As we know he has a world heritage listed knee which helped us get to the GF in 2016 and continues to wreak havoc among trembling forwards and midfielders sitting under a high ball. But there's a bit more. It shows up a bit in his 1%ers (avge around 7 a game when he plays back) and maybe his tackles (2 a game).

I didn't set out to watch him on Friday but from time to time I couldn't help noticing him trying to impose himself into the fray. I can see why they like him. He has none of Bont's grace or fluidity, no great pace, he's an average sort of kick, he's undersized for a KPD or ruckman (193cm) and underweight (listed as 90kg) but he somehow gets the job done. Or mostly done. He's versatile. Doesn't care where he plays as long as he gets a game. He's a scrapper. Always there for second efforts. He fears no-one and I doubt you'll ever see him take short steps or back out of a collision. He's just the sort of bloke you don't mind playing alongside because you know what you'll get and it's always going to be 100% of the limited amount he has to offer.

I'm comfortable with him in the 22. In fact I'm almost a believer. Go Zaine!

Trouble is do we sacrifice our draft picks to finish 7 or 8 and get bundled out in the first final. If we finish outside the 8 we have the picks to fill holes and make a meaningful go for the flag in 2023.

However in saying that I was heartened by Cleary and Bukus game on Friday, we do have some talent on our list, it has been disheartening seeing plodders like McNeil and McComb come through as the best of our VFL list.
Never underestimate the benefits of playing finals, even if it's 7th or 8th. The experience alone is worth losing a couple of spots in the draft order. It's also hope and achievement to sell to the fans.

And don't forget where we finished on the ladder when we won the flag 6 years ago. If we get most of our cattle back for the finals we can match it with anyone. Maybe even the Demons if they get a run of injuries like we've had.

Cordy, McComb and Sweet are all physical players that attack the man. They provide a harder edge that we are collectively missing as a group.

If we can get players with better skills and the same physicality then great but until then we are stuck with them.

Cordy, McComb and Sweet are all physical players that attack the man. They provide a harder edge that we are collectively missing as a group.

If we can get players with better skills and the same physicality then great but until then we are stuck with them.
Go the ad hominems!

Zaine is solid af. Kicked the first goal in the 2016 gf from the boundary. He seems to be marking the ball more often this year too. Good, honest player as DW so eloquently described. It takes a high IQ to appreciate Cordy's value, which explains why many posters on here don't see it. Someone like doggies ftw wouldn't rate Cordy, because at 193cm he doesn't provide enough "structure."

Last edited:
No we dont

The problem with this theory is that English now rucks about 80% of the game so what position are you playing Sweet in for that time? He was ok on Friday night but did very little around the ground to suggest he could hold down another position when not in the ruck.

if you could play him exclusively just for the 20% and replace him with someone else then maybe but by playing both he and English you are effectively putting us one player down

Two rucks work where they can both play other positions but Sweet cant do that. Better off waiting for Darcy to come on
BL I respect your opinion but I firmly believe we could play both. Sweet does have some forward craft can take a mark, and isn't horrendous at goal kicking.
Park him in the forward pocket to be another long option deep, with the objective of marking or bringing it to ground not allowing intercept marking.
MC is probably more likely to side with your assessment, but I feel he could have a place and fulfill a role. Hopefully to help maximise our midfield strength

Skipper seems happy with him. I think they hung out (ie trained) together a bit over the off season.

280392735_10159757771327487_5896174503428618235_n.jpg

I’m surprised that nobody had picked this up. We all know Bevo doesn’t rate Westy and his close he and Bont are

Don’t be surprised if the outs this week include “West (strangulation)” as he can’t be dropped after that game

Just saying…..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I've been largely agnostic with Zaine Cordy (although I do believe he is a Bullgod).

So when the debate rages as to who should be dropped (from a backline of Keath/Gardner/Schache/O'Brien/Cordy etc) it has never really bothered me if Cordy is the one who gets mentioned. The interesting thing is that no matter what we on BF think Cordy hardly ever does miss out.

He has played 8 of the 9 games this year (missed R4 due to concussion protocols) and after missing the first 5 rounds last year (3 as emergency) he played every other game except the first semi-final (ill) and the second semi-final (emergency).

His stats are uninspiring. His best ever season for disposals was 2017 (12.68 avge) and they've been on a steady decline since. He rarely kicks a goal (fair enough since he's usually been a defender), has barely 50 CMs across his entire career and is not a big rebounder. Oh and he has never polled in the Brownlow but I guess you knew that.

So what is it about Cordy that gets him a game nearly every week (112 games in his career so far)?

There's something about him that the stats don't show very well. He brings energy and aggression to the contest. As we know he has a world heritage listed knee which helped us get to the GF in 2016 and continues to wreak havoc among trembling forwards and midfielders sitting under a high ball. But there's a bit more. It shows up a bit in his 1%ers (avge around 7 a game when he plays back) and maybe his tackles (2 a game).

I didn't set out to watch him on Friday but from time to time I couldn't help noticing him trying to impose himself into the fray. I can see why they like him. He has none of Bont's grace or fluidity, no great pace, he's an average sort of kick, he's undersized for a KPD or ruckman (193cm) and underweight (listed as 90kg) but he somehow gets the job done. Or mostly done. He's versatile. Doesn't care where he plays as long as he gets a game. He's a scrapper. Always there for second efforts. He fears no-one and I doubt you'll ever see him take short steps or back out of a collision. He's just the sort of bloke you don't mind playing alongside because you know what you'll get and it's always going to be 100% of the limited amount he has to offer.

If anyone is going for a job be sure to get a reference off dogwatch!!

So he's a sort of "you'd fight in the trenches with him" kind of guy coz he's up for it even though he's likely to be the first one shot when the whistle blows.

I kind of agree with that. When the cavalry arrives, however, will he relegated to stretcher bearer.

Cordy plays his role to an effective enough degree. I don't think he has a place in the side when healthy, but he's doing his bit for Naughts and trying to help us minimise intercept marks against. Bruce back in presumably puts Cordy out of a job, or Cordy starts competing with Buku for that spot (As Buku was playing a similar fwd/2nd ruck role in the vfl). I hope at that point Buku is doing well enough to retain his spot, but he may not be.

He's one of a few doing his job while we have significant outs. Coaches would appreciate that. I think he's a bit too limited, and that we at times value the role player over the talent, but we really don't have any other options right now. We could be playing Marra instead but Cordy is about a hundred times more effective at AFL level at this point. Would be nice if Cordy could hit the scoreboard more, but he's surely making life easier for Naughts and Buku by being out there. Bruce comes back and you get similar aggression with scoreboard impact.

Sweet average at best

WTF does this board have to have negative pile ons? McComb wasnt great but it was his 4 th game

How do you reconcile these posts.
Go easy on McComb because it's only his 4th game as a 27 year old mature ager.

But go for your life on a 22-23 year old Sweet in his 6th(?) game and especially keep bringing up his poor performance against the best ruck in the competition last year in his 4th ever game...

Seriously some of you people will tie yourself into knots trying to justify the poor decisions our coaches make.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back