Kennett must go now

Remove this Banner Ad

It is a vocal minority. The majority don't care, the extreme right are muted (and rightly so), which leaves only the far left with an opinion that gets heard

Reaction Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Absolutely love Jeff and what he has done for our club. Won't know what were missing until he is gone. Like Eddie at the Pies. Real shame the vocal minority will get them both cancelled. They add some flair and personality to the game and don't back down to the AFL. But just like on the field the game will be stripped of any emotion, and the new president will be a yes man to the AFL. Gotta tow the line ey. Joke.
Talk me through what Jeff has done for our club? Let's start with wanting to merge with Melbourne - the floor is yours.

It is a vocal minority. The majority don't care, the extreme right are muted (and rightly so), which leaves only the far left with an opinion that gets heard
We're talking about the President of the HFC and you're dropping FoxNews talking points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is correct. I understand JGK WILL exit AGM in December and will be replaced by Ian Silk after the members have had an opportunity to vote.
The Ian Silk stuff had really gone quiet after all that noise. Hopefully he's still interested in the position.

Talk me through what Jeff has done for our club? Let's start with wanting to merge with Melbourne - the floor is yours,this forum looks like a politic bashing how financial we are now,kennetts a sma

Talk me through what Jeff has done for our club? Let's start with wanting to merge with Melbourn

Talk me through what Jeff has done for our club? Let's start with wanting to merge with Melbourne - the floor is yours.
mate you dont know hes humour it was a joke to make our club more financial he is sorry for what he said to cyrils missus again learn his humour.

mate you dont know hes humour it was a joke to make our club more financial he is sorry for what he said to cyrils missus again learn his humour.
jeff is a very smart man our club is in a very good financial position because of it and ffs leave the politics out of it

jeff is a very smart man our club is in a very good financial position because of it and ffs leave the politics out of it
Ironic.

Hawthorn vice president Peter Nankivell is set to take over from Jeff Kennett as the club’s new president at the end of the year.
News Corp can reveal the Hawthorn nominations committee has strongly endorsed Nankivell, 59, to lead the club beyond this year after months of work.

But there was a significant twist in the process as Nankivell, who chaired the nominations committee in search of a new leader, was not satisfied with the initial group of candidates.

Board member Ian Silk, who was widely touted to be the next president, did not pursue the position.

It meant Nankivell, who initially did not want to pursue the job, put his hand up to lead the club after reconsidering the position more recently with his family.

The long-time Hawthorn supporter and successful commercial lawyer, who fully supports Tasmania’s bid for a 19th licence, said he was a different style of leader to Kennett.

He said he was “thrilled and excited to receive this nomination by the board to take on the role”.

“It is different from Jeff’s. I am, by nature, more consensus-oriented,” Nankivell told News Corp.

“I have made a living over 35 years as a lawyer and you have to be able to put yourself into the shoes of the other side when you are trying to get an outcome.

“But at the same time you have to be able to make tough calls, so it will be a consensus-style (of leadership) designed to drive the board to deliver the best they can offer the club.”

Nankivell is a highly respected commercial lawyer for Thomson Greer with more than 30 years’ experience in large-scale corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions.

The father-of-three has been a Hawthorn supporter since the age of five, helped the club rise up off the canvas amid the merger bid in 1996, joined the board in 2014 and had a brief stint as chief executive in 2017.

Nankivell said he was thrilled to receive the nomination committee’s backing and was excited about the challenges ahead as the Hawks attempt to climb the ladder, mend its relationship with premiership hero Cyril Rioli and move into its new training base in Dingley by the end of next year.

He said he initially did not covet the presidency but changed his mind.

“My ambition was to serve and play my role and I didn’t go into this with that degree of ambition (at first),” he said.

Nankivell, whose fondest memories include representing Hawthorn in a 1973 little league game at Victoria Park, said Hawthorn was in his blood.

His father, Bill, was a former Hawthorn mayor in the late 1970s, and there were former players and club staff among their family friends.

“What that gave me from the age of 5 was a pretty memorable inner sanctum experience being involved at Hawthorn Football Club,” he said.

“I had a pretty full autograph book full of all of the stars of the day and those impressions last a lifetime.

“Your world revolved around that and I went to the footy with my Dad and that was what we did.

“My background runs deep with the club and the thrill of going to Glenferrie Oval for the last training session before the Grand Finals in the golden era of the 70sand 80s was remarkable.

“But what renewed or drove my engagement with the club was probably 1996.

“The club almost merged with Melbourne and my family all rejoined because we got very complacent and we could have lost something special.”

Wowee the bloke chairing the nominations committee ends up putting his hand up and getting the position.
Fair enough.
Conflict anyone????
I read that and wasn't at all pleased.

I wonder why Ian Silk didn't nominate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back