Updated The Bruce Lehrmann Trials * Justice Lee - "Mr Lehrmann raped Ms Higgins."

How long will the jury be out for?

• Back the same afternoon

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • One day

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Two days

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Three to five days

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Over a week

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Historical Rape Allegation Against Fmr AG Christian Porter
The Alexander Matters matters

Just a reminder, this is the crime board and we need to be aware that there will be victims of crime either watching this thread or engaging in here from time to time. A degree of respect in all discussions is expected.

LINK TO TIMELINE
CJS INQUIRY
FINAL REPORT – BOARD OF INQUIRY – CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM
Joint media statement – Chief Minister and Attorney-General

LINK TO FEDERAL COURT DEFAMATION PROCEEDINGS

Last edited:
If the Judge delays the trial, or postpones it indefinitely, does this give Brittany Higgins grounds to sue the ACT Government for the self-admitted error in judgement by their judge?

Was Lisa Wilkinson or her employer provided any legal advice on her speech before she made it?
Did they follow that advice?

'During a hearing on Tuesday morning, ACT Chief Justice Lucy McCallum said she had made a mistake in not prohibiting publication around the case.
She slammed the media for its reporting of Ms Wilkinson’s speech and warned the distinction between allegation and guilt had been “obliterated”.
“I trusted the press … you were right and I was wrong,” she told the court.
According to the defence counsel, the concern is Ms Wilkinson’s speech - so close to the trial - could impact on the jury.
The court also heard Ms Wilkinson would be a witness at the trial.'

Exactly what would Higgins seek to gain by suing the ACT Government ?

I'm in two minds; it's an unfortunate situation on all counts.

But I'm quite pleased that the tabloid-style Australian media has been well and truly back in their place today. They have such a high opinion of themselves, I would have liked to have seen Wilkinsons reaction to the news that she's prejudiced the case from a Logies acceptance speech :tearsofjoy:

Shes also likely going to get grilled in the dock now.

If the Judge delays the trial, or postpones it indefinitely, does this give Brittany Higgins grounds to sue the ACT Government for the self-admitted error in judgement by their judge?

Was Lisa Wilkinson or her employer provided any legal advice on her speech before she made it?
Did they follow that advice?

'During a hearing on Tuesday morning, ACT Chief Justice Lucy McCallum said she had made a mistake in not prohibiting publication around the case.
She slammed the media for its reporting of Ms Wilkinson’s speech and warned the distinction between allegation and guilt had been “obliterated”.
According to the defence counsel, the concern is Ms Wilkinson’s speech - so close to the trial - could impact on the jury.

To answer your first question, no.

She slammed the media for its reporting
of Ms Wilkinson’s speech and warned the distinction between allegation and guilt had been “obliterated”.
:drunk:

So if she'd banned reporting then no one would've reported on it , am i missing something here ?

Dumb it down

The court heard there had been a briefing between Ms Wilkinson and the prosecutors last week, when she raised the matter of her nomination for a Gold Logie.

Part of the evidence included an exchange where the Director of Public Prosecutions Shane Drumgold warned her that the defence might use anything she said to reinstate a stay application.

She's a moron. Basically. She'd been explicitly warned about the potential impact of anything she said. She said it anyway.

She's a moron. Basically. She'd been explicitly warned about the potential impact of anything she said. She said it anyway.
Any idea what the threshold is for public comment now ?

Like, could the defence cite any twitter post and just constantly get it delayed until bl dies ?

Exactly what would Higgins seek to gain by suing the ACT Government ?
Monetary compensation for the suffering she will endure from a delay in the trial, due to the judge making the wrong decision regarding suppression orders.

And whilst she's at it, maybe sue Lisa W and the TV station that broadcast what she said about the Higgins case.

I'm in two minds; it's an unfortunate situation on all counts.

But I'm quite pleased that the tabloid-style Australian media has been well and truly back in their place today. They have such a high opinion of themselves, I would have liked to have seen Wilkinsons reaction to the news that she's prejudiced the case from a Logies acceptance speech :tearsofjoy:

Shes also likely going to get grilled in the dock now.
Wilkinson and Fitzsimons, I don't know which one I despise more. If she does cop a backlash (and let's face it - she should), you certainly won't be hearing about it on The Project.

FFS.

Between Wankinson's idiotic speech and Scummo stating in public that Higgins is a rape survivor, there is no way Leerman can get a fair trial in front of a jury now. Case will be permanently stayed and ACT will finally change the stupid law requiring a jury trial. What a mess.
Surely can only have a trial by judge rather than by jury to get a fair trial.

Monetary compensation for the suffering she will endure from a delay in the trial, due to the judge making the wrong decision regarding suppression orders.

And whilst she's at it, maybe sue Lisa W and the TV station that broadcast what she said about the Higgins case.

Wilkinson & Higgins are on a unity ticket & the extent of that unity would be the subject of cross examination of both ladies.

Ms Higgins deactivated her social media accounts, including Twitter and Instagram, on Tuesday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judge - media should probably stfu now

* media * - Proceeds to keep reporting on it.

jeremy-clarkson-thumbs-up.gif

What utter arrogance from Lisa Wilkinson. She was advised by DPP no less that any speech at logies may prejudice proceedings and chose to ignore it. I hope some thought is given to contempt of court fines. I had admiration for her when she stood up for being treated equally by employer. Now Im disappointed

Any idea what the threshold is for public comment now ?

Like, could the defence cite any twitter post and just constantly get it delayed until bl dies ?

I imagine size of platform would be relevant.

A Twitter account with minimal followers versus quite a well known person commenting on a highly televised event would be regarded very differently.

That she was specifically told not to do it, then did it anyway, shows how incredibly dumb, selfish, or both, she is.

I believe there is an issue with a statute making jury trials compulsory for the charge in the ACT. But stand to be corrected

Then there will be no trial and hopefully wilkinson gets sacked by ten and charged by the DPP but i doubt it.

I believe there is an issue with a statute making jury trials compulsory for the charge in the ACT. But stand to be corrected
Yeah, I'm not familiar with the ACT... so assuming you are right, this has probably cooked the chances of a fair/any trial... which has actually done who she is championing a huge disservice.

Then there will be no trial and hopefully wilkinson gets sacked by ten and charged by the DPP but i doubt it.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with the ACT... so assuming you are right, this has probably cooked the chances of a fair/any trial... which has actually done who she is championing a huge disservice.

I am by no means an authority in this, so take with a grain of salt. But I would imagine the criteria for a permanent stay would be a very, very high bar to reach.

If there are no more "breaches" for lack of a better term, I'd imagine the case will eventually go ahead.

I am by no means an authority in this, so take with a grain of salt. But I would imagine the criteria for a permanent stay would be a very, very high bar to reach.

If there are no more "breaches" for lack of a better term, I'd imagine the case will eventually go ahead.

I cant see how you can ever have a fair jury in the state given the public commentary around the case. If its not a judge only trial they would have to permanently stay it if they are serious about fair trials.

I cant see how you can ever have a fair jury in the state given the public commentary around the case. If its not a judge only trial they would have to permanently stay it if they are serious about fair trials.

Judges are still influenced. We just hope that they have less bias. The ego of Wilkinson to knowingly say what she did is just staggering. Along with hubby they really are 2 of the biggest flogs of all time.

Perhaps, but a permanent stay would be extreme and would require pretty extraordinary and compelling reasoning I would imagine.

Hence, a new trial date has been set for Oct 4.

Back