Play Nice 2022 AFL/AFLW Crowds/TV Ratings/Stream thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Further to the post above, there’s no reason at all that today’s Rich/Geel game shouldn’t be a huge crowd.

It’s two teams in the eight and in form on a Saturday afternoon/twilight with plenty of time for Geelong based fans to get here and home again at a reasonable time, the weather is the best it’s been for weeks, and Richmond fans have had 3 weeks of byes and Thursday night games where they didn’t/couldn’t attend that should see them showing up in big numbers.

It just has to be 60k+.

I agree but it won’t be. Looks about a 50k unless they pile in late. A lot of level 1 GA.

I went the couch option rather than a 2 hour drive in and 2 hour drive out. No other reason than it’s not home game.

If it was a Tiger home game you would probably get 70K.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Further to the post above, there’s no reason at all that today’s Rich/Geel game shouldn’t be a huge crowd.

It’s two teams in the eight and in form on a Saturday afternoon/twilight with plenty of time for Geelong based fans to get here and home again at a reasonable time, the weather is the best it’s been for weeks, and Richmond fans have had 3 weeks of byes and Thursday night games where they didn’t/couldn’t attend that should see them showing up in big numbers.

It just has to be 60k+.
Only thing is it’s a Cats home game. Only recent reference point of Big 4 Club as away team Vs Geelong at the MCG is the round 1 match earlier this year against Essendon where the crowd was 54,400 odd. This has a bit of top 4 blockbuster feel about it so it should be between 55-60,000 if day.

Spot on.
I remember drunks at the footy 40 years ago saying they don't go to the footy anymore because of the umps (of course, they were there at that precise moment to utter those words).
It's beyond absurd for anyone to truly believe that there would be a massive drop off in footy attendance because of umps.
I've got the same memories from my childhood, it's an endless cycle.

And just on that , it blows my mind how they complain about how overumpired it is, even though there were more free kicks in the "good old days" - and that's just a fact.
Anyway there's a different thread for that

Spot on.
I remember drunks at the footy 40 years ago saying they don't go to the footy anymore because of the umps (of course, they were there at that precise moment to utter those words).
It's beyond absurd for anyone to truly believe that there would be a massive drop off in footy attendance because of umps.

Disagree with this, I agree umpiring has always been complained about for being biased, but this year there is genuine discontent about how much over officiating there is, in combination with all the 50s for dissent, protected area etc. Get online a bit you'll see 900 of 1k comments on Facebook posts are relating to the soft umpiring, rule changes and over officiating technical free kicks. It's simply not enjoyable to watch when every contest the whistle seems to blow for something minor.

In saying that this round the umpires has been much less 'involved' and technical, so hopefully it will continue that way for the rest of the year.

Disagree with this, I agree umpiring has always been complained about for being biased, but this year there is genuine discontent about how much over officiating there is, in combination with all the 50s for dissent, protected area etc. Get online a bit you'll see 900 of 1k comments on Facebook posts are relating to the soft umpiring, rule changes and over officiating technical free kicks. It's simply not enjoyable to watch when every contest the whistle seems to blow for something minor.

In saying that this round the umpires has been much less 'involved' and technical, so hopefully it will continue that way for the rest of the year.

Mate it's been like that literally every year. I've been on Facebook since 2010 and all the comments were about the umpiring back then too.
And then before that, I still remember tons of people complaining about it at the games, pubs etc. And games had more free kicks back in "golden days" anyway.

I dont want to turn this into an umpiring debate thread,
but you're kidding yourself if you think there's more complaints about umpiring now and it's suddenly having an effect on crowds now

Mate it's been like that literally every year. I've been on Facebook since 2010 and all the comments were about the umpiring back then too.
And then before that, I still remember tons of people complaining about it at the games, pubs etc. And games had more free kicks back in "golden days" anyway.

I dont want to turn this into an umpiring debate thread,
but you're kidding yourself if you think there's more complaints about umpiring now and it's suddenly having an effect on crowds now

I too have followed the game since the 90s and have been on Facebook since 2007 coz I lived in the u.s then, i can tell you unequivocally, there is much more hatred towards the way the umpires are directed to officiate the games now compared to any other year I can remember. Which actually is backed up by the fan survey that came out today, but anyway, agree to disagree.

I too have followed the game since the 90s and have been on Facebook since 2007 coz I lived in the u.s then, i can tell you unequivocally, there is much more hatred towards the way the umpires are directed to officiate the games now compared to any other year I can remember. Which actually is backed up by the fan survey that came out today, but anyway, agree to disagree.

That fan survey doesn't prove s**t because they probably didn't do a "why aren't you going to the games anymore" survey 20-30years ago. I'm sure if you did them back then , you'd get a similar percentage.

Yeah I strongly disagree , umpire complaints is all I can remember my entire life lol, and the level hasn't increased or decreased

Anyway we'll agree to disagree

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent crowds at Carlton V Freo and Geelong V the Tigers.

I think it was the biggest ever home crowd for Carlton V Freo and would have been much closer to 40K at the G.

Geelong V Richmond was one of the top 20 home crowds EVER for Geelong. Up til a few years ago neither club really regarded the other as a big rival but the series of Richmond wins V the Cats in finals games over recent years allied to the general refusal of the Cats to roll over for the Mighty Tiger in H+A games has meant that the match up is now seen by both fanbases as a much more important clash than was once the case. Certainly speaking as a Richmond fan Geelong are much more on the horizon than previously.

What a game! Unfortunately for my tiges we weren't able to get the win. The atmosphere was amazing, finals-like! Great crowd of almost 60K

Twilight, pretty good. I got home at 8.20pm
That 4:35pm Saturday slot is almost the most crowd friendly if all. Kids can go still, dinner before dinner / drinks in and around the city.. Works better than most.

Will be interesting to see how many attend the North vs Adelaide game in Hobart today. I'm hopeful that most of Tasmania's 6000 north members are in attendance to support their team when they need them the most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back